Rotten from the Inside Out - Pics

Water can be very destructive,indeed...boys check your rubber even if real men don't use it...:cock
I had a hole in mine too and had it replaced...rain is not the problem here in Kali as it is in the UK but dust can be just as bad...even worse for chains...:(
That's the beauty of globalism...first world prices/profits made from Chinese junk instead of superior german steel...;)
Or lack of maintenance...check your rubber...so you won't have costly surprises later.
Or maybe the warranty-man has mercy...:comfort
Or as Arsey from the wanker-brigade would say...this would not have happened on his Afreeka-Tween...:D
It would have killed you with boredom though...super slow engine and even slower steering from the big 21" front-wheel but it is always exiting if you have a flat on the road trying to change and fix a tube...:aidan

Water can be very destructive,indeed...boys check your rubber even if real men don't use it...:cock
I had a hole in mine too and had it replaced...rain is not the problem here in Kali as it is in the UK but dust can be just as bad...even worse for chains...:(
That's the beauty of globalism...first world prices/profits made from Chinese junk instead of superior german steel...;)
Or lack of maintenance...check your rubber...so you won't have costly surprises later.
Or as Arsey from the wanker-brigade would say...this would not have happened on his Afreeka-Tween...:D
It would have killed you with boredom though...super slow engine and even slower steering from the big 21" front-wheel but it is always exiting if you have a flat on the road trying to change and fix a tube...:aidan

And I suppose my H2 is boring too ? Cockwomble. :cock

A
OK, enough is enough. You are obviously an excitable chap as you use the exiting in a context where exciting seems to be what you mean in nearly every one of your 400 plus posts. Here are a few of the missing c’s for you to use in future when you feel excited. cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc.
Imagine a GS with a 17” front wheel - do you feel exited or excited?
Alan R

Surface rust

The drive shafts on rear wheel drive cars and trucks are not protected by a housing, they are exposed to the elements

The universal joints and sliding joint are designed to operate under these conditions

It does look like a rusty mess and a bit of paint would have been nice, but it’s not meant to be visible

The inside of the UJs will be perfectly OK and I don’t think the splines on the FD slide as it’s a paralever (visibly they are too short to be a sliding joint)

A bit of grease on the splines to stop them rusting and off you go :thumb2

I wouldn’t agree with this, true car and truck joints are exposed and do get very wet but they don’t run in water and when moving any water is removed/directed away from the joint by centrifugal forces and air flow along the shaft.

The danger here is that the UJ has sat in water when cooling and thus possibly drawn water into the bearings, personally I would have a good look at the 4 cup seals and check for a nice smooth movement of the joint with no notching at all.

I do however agree that the rust on the joint and shaft etc isn’t a worry, just soak it in ACF 50 and put it back together.

I also agree with Arsey re the Jap stuff being a step ahead of the Germans and the AT isn’t boring, I rather like mine despite its faults.

Alan thanks for setting me straight...I apologize as English is not my first language...EXCiting...;)
Arsey the H2 is super-boring unless you like to go fast in a straight line...but then a S1000RR is just as fast but also can handle the twisties...so what is the point ?
Unless you have the SX version that at least gives you hard bags...and the A-T is really the most boring bike I ever have ridden lately...The engine and slow steering....zzzzz But tubed tires can make things exciting when you have a flat at night in the rain 120 miles from home...:D Or in Afrika where they sell tubes and tire irons at every corner...;)

Ooh, the H2 in an adventure bike could be interesting

It will be interesting to see where they go with the engine Nutty, they have obviously invested heavily in its development so it would be logical for them to expand the range of bikes using it as it will be around for a long time for them to get a return on it. It is light and powerful - they don't have a tourer in their range at the moment and I know from my Kawasaki dealer that the dealers are pushing the factory to develop one and to also update the Versys.

The danger here is that the UJ has sat in water when cooling and thus possibly drawn water into the bearings, personally I would have a good look at the 4 cup seals and check for a nice smooth movement of the joint with no notching at all.

Fair point, but can the FD housing fill up and hold water? I would have thought there would be a drain hole to prevent this from happening ?

Don’t know for sure I’ve never looked :nenau

Alan thanks for setting me straight...I apologize as English is not my first language...EXCiting...;)
Arsey the H2 is super-boring unless you like to go fast in a straight line...but then a S1000RR is just as fast but also can handle the twisties...so what is the point ?
Unless you have the SX version that at least gives you hard bags...and the A-T is really the most boring bike I ever have ridden lately...The engine and slow steering....zzzzz But tubed tires can make things exciting when you have a flat at night in the rain 120 miles from home...:D Or in Afrika where they sell tubes and tire irons at every corner...;)

Yes I have the H2 SX. It can handle the twisties rather well. My tyres are shot in 2000 miles.
Have you ridden an H2 or H2 SX or are you just using your usual sweeping assumptions ? Yup, thought so.......
And when is the last time you were in Africa ? Yup....thought so.....:blast

Fair point, but can the FD housing fill up and hold water? I would have thought there would be a drain hole to prevent this from happening ?

Me neither but looking at the photos there has been a lot of moisture in there, i suppose the lower boot is designed to keep water out so it would also keep it in?

Me neither but looking at the photos there has been a lot of moisture in there, i suppose the lower boot is designed to keep water out so it would also keep it in?

But it isn't a waterproofed unit, that rubber gaiter only has a slither of grease around it.

So if the bike was on a river crossing, water would pour in. Although in my case, thats not whats happened.

But it isn't a waterproofed unit, that rubber gaiter only has a slither of grease around it.

So if the bike was on a river crossing, water would pour in. Although in my case, thats not whats happened.

On the premium GS's the final drive boot is secured by a metal clip or big zip tie fore and aft, giving a completely watertight seal to prevent this happening

No it is not. Look at the first picture.

Whoooosh

6ad25ce6b6a2892fabef9124af55c9de.jpg

We have the 'premium' RTW GS

You 1200 WC riders just have the 'cheapened by accountants' imitation of a decent GS

It’s not waterproof but the boot is designed to protect innards from the elements and therefore it will also work the other way to a certain extent.

It’s not waterproof but the boot is designed to protect innards from the elements and therefore it will also work the other way to a certain extent.

That statement I can varify as FACT :D

Oh well, lets hope I caught it in time...

The "old" 1200s didn't, but the HP2 did.

I used to regularly split the drive (to change the FD oil) and once found water in there - the drain hole had blocked.

Thought all was ok, until a few years later:

Attachments

• 100_0625.jpg
    100_0625.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 465
Big thumbs up for BMW Motorrad Wolverhampton 👍👍👍 (Rybrook).

Showed them the rusted pictures and they've put my mind at rest. So long as the final drive isn't making any noises (it isn't), and rotates smoothly (it does), and isn't leaking (it isn't), and no water in the oil (there wasn't).... then we've caught it in time.

So long as it can be cleaned up reasonably well (it can) then they said to regrease it and they'll order a new gaiter under warranty for me.

Then just carry on....

Oh.... and they commented two other points

a) there is no bearing behind the nut, its a rubber seal.

b) good job I checked it as the splines can sieze together and are very difficult to seperate.

Big thumbs up for BMW Motorrad Wolverhampton ������ (Rybrook).

Showed them the rusted pictures and they've put my mind at rest. So long as the final drive isn't making any noises (it isn't), and rotates smoothly (it does), and isn't leaking (it isn't), and no water in the oil (there wasn't).... then we've caught it in time.

So long as it can be cleaned up reasonably well (it can) then they said to regrease it and they'll order a new gaiter under warranty for me.

Then just carry on....

I don't think its a real worry but I would be more concerned about the UJ than the final drive as per the pictures posted by spout. They do not like being submerged in water (if they have been????)

if they are doing the gaiter under warranty get them to give the shaft the once over and reference the check on the warranty paperwork 'cos you really don't want that to fail, especially out of warranty.

Back
Top Bottom