Rotten from the Inside Out - Pics

Rusted to fook, splines seized, metal fatigue, final drive seals broken, shaft failure, final drive seizure, death.

Men, check your shafts

Here' are a few examples....

The spines on the final drive were also in the same state on this one..
2ir4tvb.jpg

nleyhv.jpg

dfanlz.jpg

When are they going to fit carbon fibre shafts with titanium joints, splines and gears I wonder (just like powerful cars) :D. Just wondering, if they can fill with water, why not refill them with oil ;) that way the won’t go rusty, or fit a scottoiler to lube it in use :D:blast

I would not be surprised if CF-driveshafts are coming on the next generation of BMW boxers as prices to manufacture are coming down and soon we will see BMW's with CF-wheels and frame right from the factory...like first seen on the HP4-Race to explore the new manufacturing technology.
CF dribveshafts,less unsprung weight,less momentum on transmission,smoother shifts,no rust...win/win !

lol so funny that, but would prefer the emu, to the bloody mad wild boars we have over here, Sundays when the hunters are out is not good near any forest.

We have those too! Lots of Camels up north, I had a huge one run out in front of my car last trip while on a trip to Uluru and the car on the other side of the road stopped just in time but enough to actually touch the camel's leg. Shame the dashcam had a SD Card error so didn't pick it up!

We have those too! Lots of Camels up north, I had a huge one run out in front of my car last trip while on a trip to Uluru and the car on the other side of the road stopped just in time but enough to actually touch the camel's leg. Shame the dashcam had a SD Card error so didn't pick it up!

Well raise you a Stag, and a pheasant, camel made me chuckle.

Does anyone have any pictures or youtube videos for removing the shaft? I want to inspect mine but want to be prepared with a plan of how to remove the shaft if its in a bad state to clean up and maybe paint.

There doesnt seem to be much room around the gaiter in the front (closest to engine) end and Im concerned about the best way to get the shaft out and again the method for aligning the spines and getting the shaft back in again. Something tells me that this may not be a easy task!

Thanks

Ian

Thanks

Ian

Does anyone have any pictures or youtube videos for removing the shaft? I want to inspect mine but want to be prepared with a plan of how to remove the shaft if its in a bad state to clean up and maybe paint.

There doesnt seem to be much room around the gaiter in the front (closest to engine) end and Im concerned about the best way to get the shaft out and again the method for aligning the spines and getting the shaft back in again. Something tells me that this may not be a easy task!

Thanks

Ian

Thanks

Ian

Not what you need, but it is a start.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/r120...-spline-lube-pictorial.1129815/#post-28913540

I've got to page 17 and will carry on reading tomorrow.... this is a known problem then.

Bloody gaiter gets damaged by rotating shaft and lets water in.... my split gaiter is in EXACTLY the same spot as others in that thread. So it was no accident....

May happen again then, after the new gaitor has been fitted under warranty

What a crap design

Take the shaft out, check it for wear. Rub any rust down, dust it over with a rattle can of frosts satin chassis black. Once dry, spray on ACF50, lube splines with Moly60 paste and refit. Job done.

Yeah, I'm going to do that when I refit my new rubber gaiter

dust it over with a rattle can of frosts satin chassis black....

I might paint it bright yellow with red, blue, pink spots. Like the part off a Circus Clowns Car..... Sort of matches up with the feeling I have towards the quality of engineering :D :D

Would be a funny surprise for the next owner as well...

May happen again then, after the new gaitor has been fitted under warranty

What a crap design

Yeah, I've sent off an email to BMW Motorrad again this morning, requesting a warranty claim on my driveshaft as well, we'll see what they say.

I think the rubber gaiter is going to be considered 'perishable' and should be checked very regularly.....

Yeah, I've sent off an email to BMW Motorrad again this morning, requesting a warranty claim on my driveshaft as well, we'll see what they say.

I think the rubber gaiter is going to be considered 'perishable' and should be checked very regularly.....

On 1100/1150's and K's the gaiter lasts for years, until they changed the swingarm design..............on all 1200's from 2004 onwards

Back
Top Bottom