Rotten from the Inside Out - Pics

On 1100/1150's and K's the gaiter lasts for years, until they changed the swingarm design..............on all 1200's from 2004 onwards

The gaiter on this bike should last years as well, but it appears it makes contact with the spinning shaft drive at times, causing friction and heat to split the rubber.

It's worse because the split is in the most difficult place to see, right at the bottom of a crease (nearest to the shaft knuckle), and only visible if opened up.

You'd have to dig around in there to spot it, and mine was only 3-5mm in size !!

Fookin nightmare ! :blast

It will be interesting to see where they go with the engine Nutty, they have obviously invested heavily in its development so it would be logical for them to expand the range of bikes using it as it will be around for a long time for them to get a return on it. It is light and powerful - they don't have a tourer in their range at the moment and I know from my Kawasaki dealer that the dealers are pushing the factory to develop one and to also update the Versys.

I am hoping the charger makes it onto the 650 range; light ; agile; and fuck off powerfull.:D

Don't worry lads, BMW sent me a temporary fix in the meantime to keep the water out...

All sorted now :thumb2

Attachments

• Fix 1.jpg
    Fix 1.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 367
  • Fix 2.jpg
    Fix 2.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 358
Mind you, I think even the umbrella has rust on it?? :chickendance

Here' are a few examples....

The spines on the final drive were also in the same state on this one..
2ir4tvb.jpg

nleyhv.jpg

dfanlz.jpg

Fuck me; thats's Dogo for a 2018; fuck knows what a 2017 must look like.:D

The gaiter on this bike should last years as well, but it appears it makes contact with the spinning shaft drive at times, causing friction and heat to split the rubber.

It's worse because the split is in the most difficult place to see, right at the bottom of a crease (nearest to the shaft knuckle), and only visible if opened up.

You'd have to dig around in there to spot it, and mine was only 3-5mm in size !!

Fookin nightmare ! :blast

Design flaw then

On 1100/1150's and K's the gaiter lasts for years, until they changed the swingarm design..............on all 1200's from 2004 onwards

The early 1200 gaitors last far longer than post 2008 gaiters.. I think they changed suppliers/material.
The later gaiters are shite.

Don't worry lads, BMW sent me a temporary fix in the meantime to keep the water out...

All sorted now :thumb2

You'd think they'd do them in black to match the arm?.. looks like a good fix tho...

I have just checked my gaiter and found this. My bike is 6 months old with 9k kms on it. Needless to say it will be brought to BMW's attention when I take it in for its 10k service. Check it, people.

Attachments

• IMG_2487.jpg
    IMG_2487.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 391
I have just checked my gaiter and found this. My bike is 6 months old with 9k kms on it. Needless to say it will be brought to BMW's attention when I take it in for its 10k service. Check it, people.

Yep, that's how it starts. It'll be fooked inside :D

But you'll probably be lucky to catch it so early :D

I put this out on a couple of BMW FB groups I'm in. A chap from Colombia sent me this photo of his 2009 125,000Km shaft. You can clearly see it's greased all the way up. He says that he takes it in to be done after every offroad sortie and it cost him €10 (it's a Spanish group so he put it in €). He's changed the gaiter 3 times.

Attachments

• IMG_8318.JPG
    IMG_8318.JPG
    135.5 KB · Views: 386
Yep, that's how it starts. It'll be fooked inside :D

But you'll probably be lucky to catch it so early :D

It's only been in the rain twice, really and we don't use salt on the roads here so I'm hopeful.

Either way, if it is rusty (especially the splines), then they can bloody well change it all.

I swear that little hole in the gaitor is for a Scottoiler :D

If you gently push down on the gaiter (bike at a standstill) you will find that there is very little clearance between it and the shaft - it is also very easy to ‘pop’ the gaiter down and for it to stay there, this could well be the reason that splits happen. After having this exact problem a few years ago I now regularly check mine.

And to think some people don’t want a bike with a chain because they are ‘high maintenance’ how ironic....

And to think some people don’t want a bike with a chain because they are ‘high maintenance’ how ironic....

Getting your dealer or garage to to service this every 6 months/year (or even doing it yourself if you like getting your hands dirty) isn't a big deal, it's actually a pretty easy job but mine's under warranty.

Greasing my chain, cleaning it thoroughly once a year (or if I'd been offroad - not this one but the tiger yes), cleaning the shite off my rims and tyres (especially spokes) 50 miles later and having to repeat the operation every 500 miles or so, not to mention the cost of buying and fitting a whole new transmission kit every so often doesn't add up for me. It's not a deal breaker for me (I know you weren't referring to me because I've never said it) but really, I have to agree that shaft drive is a wonderful thing on a motorbike.

This is a small design flaw, which if you know about it, just requires vigilance and a new gaiter every so often which costs a few pounds and can be fitted in 20 minutes tops.

The problems arise when you don't know about it and you allow the really expensive parts to be affected.

Back
Top Bottom