Rotten from the Inside Out - Pics

Warlord

Do Not Resuscitate
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My March 2017 GS Adventure has now done 12,000 miles and this weekend I did the service.

The bike is in very good condition (immaculate in places), still looks like new mostly. I'll update my other thread with it's progress and more pictures.

Anyways, NOT on the service schedule is the final driveshaft inspection. But I decided to crack it open having read http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showth...u-last-get-your-shaft-out?highlight=shaft+out

However, just wanted your opinions on these pictures... This is what it looks like from the outside at 12000 miles

Attachments

• Final Drive.jpg
    Final Drive.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 2,351
... and once opened up, I was rudely awakened to this mess !!

Attachments

• Final Drive Rusty 0.jpg
    Final Drive Rusty 0.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 2,297
  • Final Drive Rusty 1.jpg
    Final Drive Rusty 1.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 2,309
  • Final Drive Rusty 2.jpg
    Final Drive Rusty 2.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 2,294
  • Final Drive Rusty 3.jpg
    Final Drive Rusty 3.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 2,340
On closer inspection, the rubber gaiter had a very small split in it, right on the crease line where you wouldn't see it.

It looks like water (when washing and riding in the rain) had dribbled inside and sloshed around causing all this? :nenau

Attachments

• Split 1.jpg
    Split 1.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 2,294
  • Split 2.jpg
    Split 2.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 2,289
Even a Ural one wouldn't be in such poor condition at such a low mileage.

BMW... Bavarian Money Waster.

I cleaned it all up, best I could in the time I had.

I applied M-77 Assembly Paste to the splines, and White Lithium Grease around the fixing points on the rubber gaiter and around the splines base.

With the rubber gaiter split, I fixed with SuperGlue and sealed it back up.

Good job I checked it... :blast

I cleaned it all up, best I could in the time I had.

I applied M-77 Assembly Paste to the splines, and White Lithium Grease around the fixing points on the rubber gaiter and around the splines base.

The rubber gaiter split, I fixed with SuperGlue and sealed it back up.

Good job I checked it

Yup, and how many on here have drives in a worse condition that that ? Probably some of the same muppets that blat on about "it's chain drive so a deal breaker for me" when looking at anything other than a GS.......

Yup, and how many on here have drives in a worse condition that that ? Probably some of the same muppets that blat on about "it's chain drive so a deal breaker for me" when looking at anything other than a GS.......

The chain on my Africa Twin is immaculate :D :D :D

I'm not bashing shaft drives by the way, I love my GSA, but I would NEVER have known what was going on, you can't see that split from the outside until that gaiter is removed (if indeed it's the cause anyway).

Im no expert on these things , but isnt there a risk the corrosion has attacked the hardened surface of the gears, leaving untreated metal exposed. If this is the case, could it lead to premature wear?

Only ask as my pal with a Triumph had water leaking into a gearbox and same thing happened.

Steve

The chain on my Africa Twin is immaculate :D :D :D

I'm not bashing shaft drives by the way, I love my GSA, but I would NEVER have known what was going on, you can't see that split from the outside until that gaiter is removed (if indeed it's the cause anyway).

Nice info, next step take the bugger to BMW and get the gaiter replaced and the rest inside sorted under warranty, that is what they take the extra price cash for.

On closer inspection, the rubber gaiter had a very small split in it, right on the crease line where you wouldn't see it.

It looks like water (when washing and riding in the rain) had dribbled inside and sloshed around causing all this? :nenau

Split boots are very common, frequent checking is required.

Surface rust

The drive shafts on rear wheel drive cars and trucks are not protected by a housing, they are exposed to the elements

The universal joints and sliding joint are designed to operate under these conditions

It does look like a rusty mess and a bit of paint would have been nice, but it’s not meant to be visible

The inside of the UJs will be perfectly OK and I don’t think the splines on the FD slide as it’s a paralever (visibly they are too short to be a sliding joint)

A bit of grease on the splines to stop them rusting and off you go :thumb2

yuck!... Did you take the shaft out?.. only 5 mins more to get the full unit out. As you see in the other post you mention, the shaft is also devoide of a good paint job so rusts like mad. I covered my unit if thick waterprofe grease but may take it off again this winter and POR15 the thing.
Splines will be fine I'm sure but better now you have m77 on them IMO.

yuck!... Did you take the shaft out?.. only 5 mins more to get the full unit out.

I just didn't have time, on this occassion.

The bike is getting a 3 day overhaul. 12000 mile service, new paint job... so tons of parts to be fitted.

I'll take it out next time, and I'll be prepared for more time to deal with it.

Back
Top Bottom