1250 GS insurance quotes??

My insurance company have given me a quote based on a 1200 Rallye and are happy to do that after speaking to the broker it adds £93 to my premium which runs until July, the excess goes from £300 to £500 as well. Not as bad as I feared so the bike is ordered

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you think that is a result Dave, or are they taking the piss.

Oh well that’s why I asked the question

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fair enough. For future reference, a car, a bike, a washing machine, a teddy bear - none of these automatically become worth 20% less as soon as you drive it/move it/have it delivered off the forecourt. It's another piece of internet guff.

The price of second hand goods has everything to do with demand and supply and nothing (directly) to do with VAT. It's the case though, that nobody would buy a unused, second-hand item for the same price as a unused, first hand item, hence the price will always be lower. How much lower depends entirely on demand and supply, and not the price you paid.

The example I've used before is silver bullion. This attracts VAT, yet assuming no change in spot price from one day to the next, you could sell it back to a dealer at typically 97%+ of the price you paid , regardless of having paid VAT on it.

Fair enough. For future reference, a car, a bike, a washing machine, a teddy bear - none of these automatically become worth 20% less as soon as you drive it/move it/have it delivered off the forecourt. It's another piece of internet guff.

The price of second hand goods has everything to do with demand and supply and nothing (directly) to do with VAT. It's the case though, that nobody would buy a unused, second-hand item for the same price as a unused, first hand item, hence the price will always be lower. How much lower depends entirely on demand and supply, and not the price you paid.

The example I've used before is silver bullion. This attracts VAT, yet assuming no change in spot price from one day to the next, you could sell it back to a dealer at typically 97%+ of the price you paid , regardless of having paid VAT on it.

Point taken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's the case though, that nobody would buy a unused, second-hand item for the same price as a unused, first hand item, hence the price will always be lower. How much lower depends entirely on demand and supply, and not the price you paid.

Unless of course, the item is some exotic Ferrari, Porsche or whatever, then the price of the used item may fetch a big premium over the new list price. But i'm sure you know that!

Ah true! And of course artefacts like paintings from artists who have grown more famous over the centuries :).

just insured my Rallye ADV 2018 - £171 . No problem.

hashtag me too!

23 minutes on the phone to Carole Nash and they have to ring me back tomorrow as the 1250 isn't listed. So that's it for today I can't take anymore:rolleyes:

#metoo!

So it sits in the garage (not the end of the world........................)

43551960030_aac2f3af34.jpg
[/url]R1250GS Rallye (4) by cymarceng, on Flickr[/IMG]

Indeed so.

It is not uncommon for sort after vehicles (for which there is a long lead time or waiting list) to increase in value. As a simple example, a friend of mine bought the new model Porsche GT3 (having been on the waiting list from the day the new model was rumoured, let alone entered production) for £165,000. He took it on holiday to France, clocking up 2,000 miles. On his return, he sold it privately for £185,000 returning a gain of £20,000. The same car is now on sale at a Porsche dealership in the north of England for a touch over £200,000.

Any Porsche GT4 is now selling (second hand) well over its original Porsche dealership new (including VAT) price.

Anyone who buys a brand new motorcycle and then knocks off 20% when asked by the insurer to state the value (simply because there is no VAT on second hand vehicles) is a twerp. If in doubt, imagine buying a brand new list price bike, riding out of the dealership, parking in Tesco’s car park 10 yards away and chilling with like minds over a coffee and large doughnut. One hour later, walking out to discover the bike is stolen. You then walk the 10 yards back to the dealership and buy another one, identical to the first... how much will the dealership charge you? Will it be:

a. List price less 20%

Or

b. List price

Although I managed to insure mine after alot of grief, the dealer said BMW would be releasing the "codes" to the insurers on 20th OCtober then everyone can be quoted no problem, allegedly.

Indeed so.

It is not uncommon for sort after vehicles (for which there is a long lead time or waiting list) to increase in value. As a simple example, a friend of mine bought the new model Porsche GT3 (having been on the waiting list from the day the new model was rumoured, let alone entered production) for £165,000. He took it on holiday to France, clocking up 2,000 miles. On his return, he sold it privately for £185,000 returning a gain of £20,000. The same car is now on sale at a Porsche dealership in the north of England for a touch over £200,000.

Any Porsche GT4 is now selling (second hand) well over its original Porsche dealership new (including VAT) price.

Yes, another good example that actually goes against my bridging statement about the price of unused second-hand vs unused first-hand, but to point out that whilst there's no VAT on a second hand vehicles there is (16.67%) VAT on the profit if sold trade.

Back
Top Bottom