1250 GS insurance quotes??

Was going to pick up new 1250gs TE tomorrow (19\10) but hit the same insurance brick wall. "Can't insure it because it's not listed". Hastimgs Direct tried but no go. So will have to wait until Saturday 20th to see if BMW have posted the necessary codes, or whatever it is they are doing, to the insurance databases. Shame BMW don't do the 5 days free insurance any more!. Dealer said they could insure it under their insurance if it was still their bike but can't when it's in my name.
All that aside must say I was impressed with new bike on test ride. Much much better gearbox than my 2015 GS.

So will have to wait until Saturday 20th to see if BMW have posted the necessary codes, or whatever it is they are doing, to the insurance databases.

Good luck with that, those of us that bought the R1200 GS Adventure Rallye TE had to wait nearly a year before ours were included on the MID list, it was a nightmare trying to get insurance (below £800). When it was included in the list it only covered the 2018 bikes, I believe the early adopters that bought in Autumn/Winter 2017 are still not listed! :rolleyes:

Was going to pick up new 1250gs TE tomorrow (19\10) but hit the same insurance brick wall. "Can't insure it because it's not listed". Hastimgs Direct tried but no go. So will have to wait until Saturday 20th to see if BMW have posted the necessary codes, or whatever it is they are doing, to the insurance databases. Shame BMW don't do the 5 days free insurance any more!. Dealer said they could insure it under their insurance if it was still their bike but can't when it's in my name.
All that aside must say I was impressed with new bike on test ride. Much much better gearbox than my 2015 GS.

BMW and Carole Nash both got back to me and would insure the bike. I am with IAM Surety and they insured mine as a 1200 Rallye TE after looking into it. Might be worth ringing?

Indeed so.

It is not uncommon for sort after vehicles (for which there is a long lead time or waiting list) to increase in value. As a simple example, a friend of mine bought the new model Porsche GT3 (having been on the waiting list from the day the new model was rumoured, let alone entered production) for £165,000. He took it on holiday to France, clocking up 2,000 miles. On his return, he sold it privately for £185,000 returning a gain of £20,000. The same car is now on sale at a Porsche dealership in the north of England for a touch over £200,000.

Any Porsche GT4 is now selling (second hand) well over its original Porsche dealership new (including VAT) price.

Anyone who buys a brand new motorcycle and then knocks off 20% when asked by the insurer to state the value (simply because there is no VAT on second hand vehicles) is a twerp. If in doubt, imagine buying a brand new list price bike, riding out of the dealership, parking in Tesco’s car park 10 yards away and chilling with like minds over a coffee and large doughnut. One hour later, walking out to discover the bike is stolen. You then walk the 10 yards back to the dealership and buy another one, identical to the first... how much will the dealership charge you? Will it be:

a. List price less 20%

Or

b. List price

* sought :rob

BMW and Carole Nash both got back to me and would insure the bike. I am with IAM Surety and they insured mine as a 1200 Rallye TE after looking into it. Might be worth ringing?

Is the list price under 15k then? IAM told me they wouldn't insure a bike over 15k, when I bought my RT

BMW insurance says: 'Please note that this should be the approximate market value of the motorcycle at present, to the nearest pound. This should not be the original price paid' does that mean you can give the value of the bike without VAT as you loose this as soon as you ride away??

Put in the replacement cost. You would have to pay VAT for a replacement wouldn't you?

Is the list price under 15k then? IAM told me they wouldn't insure a bike over 15k, when I bought my RT
They insured me in March with a new R1200GSA which is well over 15k

Bob

Indeed so.

It is not uncommon for sort after vehicles (for which there is a long lead time or waiting list) to increase in value. As a simple example, a friend of mine bought the new model Porsche GT3 (having been on the waiting list from the day the new model was rumoured, let alone entered production) for £165,000. He took it on holiday to France, clocking up 2,000 miles. On his return, he sold it privately for £185,000 returning a gain of £20,000. The same car is now on sale at a Porsche dealership in the north of England for a touch over £200,000.

Any Porsche GT4 is now selling (second hand) well over its original Porsche dealership new (including VAT) price.

Anyone who buys a brand new motorcycle and then knocks off 20% when asked by the insurer to state the value (simply because there is no VAT on second hand vehicles) is a twerp. If in doubt, imagine buying a brand new list price bike, riding out of the dealership, parking in Tesco’s car park 10 yards away and chilling with like minds over a coffee and large doughnut. One hour later, walking out to discover the bike is stolen. You then walk the 10 yards back to the dealership and buy another one, identical to the first... how much will the dealership charge you? Will it be:

a. List price less 20%

Or

b. List price
List price less 10-15% discount as negotiated.

I wonder what would have happened in 2006 when the driver of a 7.5 ton truck decided to wipe me and my 4 week old K1200s out if I'd put less than the invoice price down as the value of the bike?
I think I already know the answer to this, I'm sorry sir, but you put the value down at x% below what you paid for it so I'm afraid we can't give you the invoice price (less a small amount for depreciation), so we'll reduce what we would have paid you by the same percentage you lowered the invoice price.

As it happened, I had declared the invoice price, approx. £12,500, I was paid this less approx. £200 for depreciation, and £250 excess, my GAP insurance picked up those two deductions.
Had I been in a position to ride again within a reasonable time of the accident the insurers would have replaced the bike with a new one.
I'm sure I would not have received either offer had I not put down the invoice price when I insured. The following years, at renewal time, I do a quick check around what the dealers are charging for a similar bike and put that figure down as my valuation.

Thanks for the tip. I sort of suggested to Hastings to insure it as a r1200 but they said the underwriters wouldn't allow it. If they can't do anything by Sat I'll ask them for options. Trouble will be of I change companies I think I'll loose all the rest of the premium (8months left) as it's in its first year. Hopefully BMW or whoever will sort it out or everyone buying a 1250 will have problems.

Thanks for the tip. I sort of suggested to Hastings to insure it as a r1200 but they said the underwriters wouldn't allow it. If they can't do anything by Sat I'll ask them for options. Trouble will be of I change companies I think I'll loose all the rest of the premium (8months left) as it's in its first year. Hopefully BMW or whoever will sort it out or everyone buying a 1250 will have problems.

It's unbelievable BMW doesn't release the information to the insurance industry in good time. I am now having the same problem trying to get Gap Insurance:blast

Hi Wednesday rang BMW Devitts, who I'm currently with, to insure a GS Rallye 1250 TE. Rang me back same day, will insure as a 1200 Rallye although they know it's a 1250, paid additional premium which was below £100 and Docs in e-mail yesterday. All good. Will try to get Gap Insurance tomorrow if available.

Phoned Bmw (Devitts) and they would cover my new R1250GS TE as a R1200gs TE until the new bike is on the database, BUT they wanted £350+ above my current comprehensive policy with Hastings on my 2015 1200GS TE. Price wise that's not an option I'm will to take. WIll wait till Saturday and see if they are on the insurance databases. If it's not I'll try pursuading Hasting to look into it further with the underwriters.

Why are people buying bikes they either can’t insure, or that insurers that can insure them are charging an excessive premium? :nenau

Why are people buying bikes they either can’t insure, or that insurers that can insure them are charging an excessive premium? :nenau
Don't think the question should be "why are people buying the bikes" , it's why haven't BMW (or whoever) already done their bit to make sure they are on the insurance databases before they release the bikes. :) , good bike though so I can wait a few days.

Hi Wednesday rang BMW Devitts, who I'm currently with, to insure a GS Rallye 1250 TE. Rang me back same day, will insure as a 1200 Rallye although they know it's a 1250, paid additional premium which was below £100 and Docs in e-mail yesterday. All good. Will try to get Gap Insurance tomorrow if available.

Just got gap insurance with car2cover £196 for 3 years, that’s to replace with a new bike they were very good over the phone! I paid £186 for 2 years cover in 2017 on my 1200 Exclusive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On new car policies, they all offer a new for old for the first year. Is bike insurance not the same? If so, you would only need gap for year 2 and 3. By the way I don't know the answer, haven't bought a new bike in a while

Don't think the question should be "why are people buying the bikes" , it's why haven't BMW (or whoever) already done their bit to make sure they are on the insurance databases before they release the bikes. :) , good bike though so I can wait a few days.

Hope it doesn't get nicked !

Back
Top Bottom