Seats again.

Baz

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Wifey is not as impressed with the GSA seat compared to the Tony Archer modified seat we had on the Pan. She suffers with lower back pain and found the stock GSA seat aggravated it to the point where she didnt come out on a couple of the days rides..
So before our next tour i have been "asked " to improve matters.
Before I try & source second hand seats for Tony to work his magic on, I want to give an after market seat a go. I have tried Corbin and Sergeant in the past and wasn't overly impressed. So what else is out there that I can put in my ebay search engine to source something second hand?

Russell Day Long. Had a few of them and they are amazing for both rider and passenger.
Decided to try out other seats for my GSA, as i ride mostly solo now.
But the moment my wife decides to ride with me again, it´ll be a Russell (and another Goldwing :inlove)

RDL are a bit of an acquired taste IMHO, but each to their own.

You could try an airhawk cushion ftb, but knowing Tony Archer is reliable, why not get the existing rear seat rebuilt over winter?

Get it to Tony... he will sort it out ;)

Wifey is not as impressed with the GSA seat compared to the Tony Archer modified seat we had on the Pan. She suffers with lower back pain and found the stock GSA seat aggravated it to the point where she didnt come out on a couple of the days rides..
Before I try & source second hand seats for Tony to work his magic on, I want to give an after market seat a go. I have tried Corbin and Sergeant in the past and wasn't overly impressed. So what else is out there that I can put in my ebay search engine to source something second hand?

You could also try BMW's own comfort seat they fitted as standard to the GS Triple Black

Agreed that aesthetically they are an acquired taste (in other words as ugly as sin), but few other brands can match the comfort that the RDL provides. Granted, I have not ever seen or tried a Tony Archer seat. Saying that, I have been fortunate enough to own and try a lot of other brands including US, EU (known saddle makers) and top class Spanish upholsterers. I can honestly say that RDL has always been the most comfortable (and certainly for my wife).

I’m really happy with my Corbin front seat and can’t wait to lower the pegs to give me more leg room. But if I had to do long distance tour, iron butt OR make my wife comfy on the back - it would be an RDL for sure (we don’t have to look at the seat while sitting on it...).

Cheers , I’ll gave a look . Quite fancy giving the TT seat a go over anyone is selling.

The GS & GSA Triple Black seats are completely different

The Triple Black GS comes with BMW's comfort seats as standard fit whereas the GSA doesn't

GOOGLE for photos of the two bikes and you will see what I mean :thumby:

You could also try BMW's own comfort seat they fitted as standard to the GS Triple Black
I have fitted these on my Alpine. Mrs loves the rear seat but she doesn't have back issues, so whether the difference is enough for the OP I don't know. I find them better than stock: not night and day, but better because they have a more compliant memory foam type feel rather than the hard foam bench of the stock seats. I like the aesthetics too with their grey highlights ayt the sides.

Having recently changed from a 2016 GS Triple Black with the BMW comfort seats fitted as standard, to a 2018 GS Adv Triple Black with standard seats fitted, I cannot tell any difference between the two in comfort levels. Currently looking out for an Airhawk seat pad. Just not sure what size to get.

put the seat on my 1250 into high position, left with a small gap:

i-mQGmSvg-X3.jpg

stupid Q, I know, but is this gap normal? OCD is kicking in :)

Lease expensive option to try is an Airhawk or similar. They work very well if not over inflated. FWIW I know Tony Archer and had him do my 2018 GSA. His words not mine are - the material used in the seat from BMW is very cheap and nasty and reshaping it or making it lower etc will not improve it. His best solution was to fit a gel pad and this he did. The result ? Doesn’t feel any better to me

Least expensive option is actually to have the standard seat re-done. Much cheaper than any after market option. Airhawk seat pads are currently around the £115 mark and increase seat height which won't suit many people.

Saddlesorted motorcycle seat recovering (Badgeworth, south of Bristol) will do a great job on the standard set for under £70.

I wasn't overly impressed with the airhawk I tried, but maybe I didn't give it enough time. I'll keep looking for a second hand Wunderlich setup.

The triple black seat on the GS are excellent and they are actually BMW’s exclusive seat which is supposedly one better than the optional ‘comfort’ seat that you can get as an upgrade for a standard GS.
I found my Triple Black Seats so good on my last bike (2017), that I swopped them onto my latest 2018 bike which I’d ordered with comfort seats. I gave the brand new comfort Seats back to the dealer in exchange for the old exclusive Seats from my TB.
My be worth a try if you can find a dealer with a second hand TB in stock who’ll let you borrow the seats for a test ride.

Back
Top Bottom