R1200r help

gebrauchtwagen83

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi chaps
Just bought a 90 years anniversary 13 plate r1200r with 16k miles. It feels quite snatchy at low speeds with a slightly heavy throttle. Snatchier than i remember other DOHC bikes I’ve ridden and surges more than my mates 12 plate r1200r.
The valve clearances were checked by bmw in August so any other ideas would be much appreciated. Throttle bodies? It’s such that at lower speed corners if your in second I’m reluctant to feed in any throttle at all because it feels like the rear could step out.
Thanks
Dan

sounds like fuel problems,check the filters air/fuel are the cables catching anywhere ?
also whats the anniversary model look like ?
good luck.

Well had the throttle bodies balanced and that’s helped a bit. They were out. Running a bit sweeter now. I’m wondering if I’ve pulled some shit through when I ran out of fuel. Whacked a can of additive in and things have improved but that could be the throttle bodies. I didn’t think those fuel system cleaners did bugger all. Anyway all booked in for a hill top visit so that should finish it off nicely.

Mine was similar after sitting idle for a couple of months

I had a 2013 and it was v smooth through all rev ranges.Superb gear changes.
My mate had one ,same year that had decat headers, arrow can and quick shift.(waste of time)
It sounded great,acceleration in hi revs felt or just sounded quicker. At low revs is had a horrible vibe and v harsh.
We put standard headers and can back on(left flappy valve out) and it was silky smooth again:D

Hi chaps
Just bought a 90 years anniversary 13 plate r1200r with 16k miles. It feels quite snatchy at low speeds with a slightly heavy throttle. Snatchier than i remember other DOHC bikes I’ve ridden and surges more than my mates 12 plate r1200r.
Dan

Sorry, a bit late to this, but I have a 2013 90th Anniversary R1200R also, and it felt exactly the same. A ride through the centre of London three years ago showed just how bad it was. I bit the bullet and took it to Hilltop for a remap and it transformed the bike. So much smoother, and the the extra shove through the mid range was a real bonus. Interestingly, my wife's 2017 R NineT Pure has no snatch or jerkiness at all, and has been really smooth from day one. I'd fully expected to have that done as well. Having had around a dozen different oilheads and hexheads over the years, my R1200R was definitely the worst of the lot for lean surging and spoilt the bike for me. Now, three years later it still impresses on every ride (though ditching the ESA for Nitron shocks also helps keep the smiles coming a lot).

Sorry, a bit late to this, but I have a 2013 90th Anniversary R1200R also, and it felt exactly the same. A ride through the centre of London three years ago showed just how bad it was. I bit the bullet and took it to Hilltop for a remap and it transformed the bike. So much smoother, and the the extra shove through the mid range was a real bonus. Interestingly, my wife's 2017 R NineT Pure has no snatch or jerkiness at all, and has been really smooth from day one. I'd fully expected to have that done as well. Having had around a dozen different oilheads and hexheads over the years, my R1200R was definitely the worst of the lot for lean surging and spoilt the bike for me. Now, three years later it still impresses on every ride (though ditching the ESA for Nitron shocks also helps keep the smiles coming a lot).

Hi Joe
Thanks for the reply I did indeed go to hilltop with it but unfortunately didn’t change it enough for me to enjoy it. A friend of mine who had one and agreed that it was terrible to ride. You could hardly get round a roundabout. Shame

Hi Joe
Thanks for the reply I did indeed go to hilltop with it but unfortunately didn’t change it enough for me to enjoy it. A friend of mine who had one and agreed that it was terrible to ride. You could hardly get round a roundabout. Shame
In that case there is a very real problem, as they are normally a lovely bike to ride. I have a 2014 model, one of the last before they went LC, although I appreciate the engine lives on in the R9T, & it is without doubt the nicest motorcycle I have ever owned, & I've had 16 BMW's since 1972. Shame it couldn't be resolved.

Back
Top Bottom