Oviedo

yes me thinks you are right a bit of confusion. So have you ever stopped in Oviedo and if so do you rate Gijon better I do like cider or 3

We ended up at the Gijon Parador, largely on a recommendation of a mate. It's OK, an interesting port, but hardly exciting TBH.

I haven't stayed at Oviedo, merely stopped there for refreshments en route. The historic Capital of the Asturias, it was scarred badly by the Insurrection & then the Civil War. If you like lively, give it a try. You won't go far wrong with either hotel I suggested.

Otherwise, if you prefer something relaxing, I would suggest you scan say booking.com with your dates & find a village or small town closer to your destination with hotel availablity. I can't see anything in Villanueva, but several options within c5 miles. The countryside around there is beautifully verdant & most places very welcoming.

If you like olde worlde Spain, Oviedo is a fine city. Either Gijon or Oviedo will show you a good nightlife. In Gijon it is concentrated in Cimadevilla which is the little outcrop in the middle of the city that jutts out into the sea.

Experienced cider pourers (the ones that look straight ahead when they pour) rarely spill very much.... not me, though. By the end of the summer I get pretty good but at first..... In most Sidrerias they will pour it for you but if not they will supply you with a little green cap or even, if you're lucky and they have enough, an electric or hand pumped "echador". The general rule is that cider mustn't touch cider; so it's not a case of pouring it directly into the glass but rather it has to "break" against the sides to aerate it.

When I tour in Spain (the only place I do tour to date) I rarely stay in the big cities for two main reasons; traffic and security. As many of you know Spain is relatively traffic free even on the national roads but not so in the cities. Small towns and villages offer better security for your bikes and Paradores are excellent and usually just outside the main part of towns and cities. They also have plenty of secure parking. Sadly not the case in Gijon but you do have secure parking there. I walked past it in August.

But to be honest, if you're going to stay as far away as Gijon from the AS228, then you may as well do as Nin says and stay in Cudillero or environs and at least enjoy the ride to the walk in the morning.

So its between Cudillero and Oviedo. A lot of the hotels don't have dates for next summer yet. So plenty of time to decide. Thanks for everyone's help

Hi Peter,

It will take you an hour to get there from Cudillero, that's all.

There are plenty of hotels in Cudi but sadly, not many places to park. You will most likely have to park on the sea wall or wharfe. Having said that it's not somewhere that you need to worry too much about your bikes.

My lot stay in http://www.hotelvalle.org/ this place which is about 5 miles west of Cudillero. The hotel is cosy and they offer indoor parking (not for security, but for weather). The food in the hotel is top notch and offers menu of the day or a la carte. They are very nice too.

If you want to go into Cudillero from there (which I do recommend) then it's either a 5 minute blatt down the A8 or, better, an entertaining 15 minute ride along a nice twisty road, the N632. Be advised, the closer you are to the ramp the higher the price of food and beverages. El Remo is the cider place (next to the old fish market - small white building) and they will even pour it for you. The food is excellent too! Most of the other bars do not serve cider except the ramp ones or the ones more inland.

If you want to leave the bikes in Soto and have a drink, then ask for Oscar, the local cabbie. +34629233665. Tell him he was recommended to you by me. (he knows me as Freddy)

In Soto (where the hotel is) there is a good walk to the nearest beach called San Pedro. There is another very pleasant one to a village called San Cosme where you will, frustatingly, find a bar which will not serve you unless you are a guest in the hotel. As you (seem to) like walking, it's a good way to stretch your legs and both walks are a mere 3-4 miles return.

Another Alternative is this hotel: http://hotelcabovidio.com/ which is slightly more expensive but the restaurant is one of the best around (but not the cheapest). From here it's about 2-3 miles to the lighthouse my GGF built and you can do the coastal walk long the cliffs. Don't be tempted to go around the LH on the RHS. When I was a stupid kid I rode around it on my bicycle :blast. In the village you have El Cafe for tapas style (Very, very good), or El Regueirin (not Sundays) which is also excellent. Recommend the Salmon, ham, lettuce and tomato salad.

A few short minutes along the N632 (towards Cudi) underneath a double bridge (the old and the new) is a very sharp left hand corner after a long straight. There (on the left) is a short dirt track that will take you to a car park. If you leave the bikes there and take the wooden walkway it will take you to La Concha de Artedo (beach). There is a bar there on the sea wall.

If you return to Cudi/Soto or, better still, if you go to Luarca, Tapia or anywhere around that area, then take the N634 (La Espina) road. It's a nice road with sweeping open bends.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom