Handlebar Advice needed

Lesterzzzzzzzz

Reaction score
As a short fat little f..ker I struggle with the width and height of my GS1200 te hexhead 2012 handlebars. What is the possible consequence of cutting 2 inch of each end ? What is the highest bar risers I can get ? Is there a bespoke handlebar manufacturer that could make me a set ? I have had 6 complete weeks in the saddle this year all Europe covered but now have constant tennis elbow. I ain't giving up biking so need a solution. Ta

I fitted a set of Renthals that were narrower and lower. Worked for me. I’m about 5’10” and the Renthals put me a bit further forward, more weight over the front, and I felt more in control. I think they were 857s.

As a short fat little f..ker I struggle with the width and height of my GS1200 te hexhead 2012 handlebars. What is the possible consequence of cutting 2 inch of each end ? What is the highest bar risers I can get ? Is there a bespoke handlebar manufacturer that could make me a set ? I have had 6 complete weeks in the saddle this year all Europe covered but now have constant tennis elbow. I ain't giving up biking so need a solution. Ta

First off, dont get the hacksaw out just yet!

If ive checked the specs correctly there are several variants of the handlebar fitted to the GS - GSA over its lifetime

2002-2007 - 2007- 2010 and 2009- 20012

Each appears to be around 958mm - 37 inches gave or take an inch.

The shape and form also changes from revision to revision

However, dont resort to the hacksaw just yet.

How long have you had the bike? There is always a transition from one make/model where your body adjusts -

When i got mine i hated the width, like you i found it too wide - 2006 GS - 958mm

I have rox up and back risers on mine - i think its 50mm up and back

They were allready fitted when i got the bike and i hated them !!

If you go to http://cycle-ergo.com/ you can find your bike, and put yourself on it

Then you can play with the bars / seats etc to see where /what you need to fit your bike

If you do a search, there is a thread on taking an inch of the bars, but be warned it needs quite a bit of work - the grips are screwed to the bars ;)

Like you i'm from Baggins stock, and found the bike big,wide & tall

I dropped the seat to a low seat, bars back and up, but left the width then rode it!

now i dont find it too wide or uncontrollable

If you lop 2 inches off the bars you'll find turning it become much harder, especially at stationary & low speed

Old school physics - the longer a lever is, the more force that can be applied the further from the fulcrum you go.

Cut too much off, and your going to find your worse off, as you'll need more effort to turn the bars

Also what screen do you have - the stock screen can be too low for some people and the wind force can also put extra strain on your arms ..

The givi 2 stage screen works well and allows me to virtually sit bolt upright in comfort at 70mph with no weight on my wrists at all,

Welcome to the forum btw

You have of coure tried adjusting your own bars towards you.

I find the sweep of the bars feels wrong for comfort, like my wrists are being turned outwards.

I'm just too lazy to chase up Renthals etc. Bar risers help a bit and a stock sargent seat helps with the foot down and comfort thing. Just need to lower my footpegs a touch.

Back
Top Bottom