Oil changed .....then !

Gages

Reaction score
So I did an oil change on my GSA today , she made a bit of a noise when initially started but no problems , went for a ride , smooth and no problems , went into town , parked the bike , came back and went to start her and she wouldn't start , to me it sounded like the flywheel wouldn't turn a real clunky loud WRONG noise ...
Put the bike on the centre stand and put it in 6th gear , she turned but it was pretty hard to turn ..not sure how easy it should be to turn over in 6th gear ..maybe I put a little bit too much oil in ( but only just ) the oils indicator glass was showing full ..

I'm worried she has seixpzes ..any ideas on how to diagnose a seizes engine ?
She was running beautiful till I changed the oil
:nenau

The loud clunk could be the starter solenoid engaging, but the battery may not have enough juice to turn the motor. With compression, its not that easy to turn over bumping the rear wheel. Better to take the main spark plugs out to reduce compression, engine should turn over much easier (leave ignition off).

If you worry you have overfilled, drain some and get the level right so that's not playing on your mind. Be sure you have put in the correct oil.

If engine turns over easily with plugs out, suspect the battery is low on charge. Charge it, then see if it starts. Check the battery and charging system with a voltmeter, while not running it should be about 12v and running, 13.5-13.8.

Lean the bike away from you a bit and look to see if oil level appears.....Get help doing this if nervous. Highly unlikely to have hydraulic'd the engine with oil...

You could try removing the engine front cover and inspect the alternator to see if it turns using a ratchet/socket (easier with plugs out or belt off) They can seize causing the engine to struggle to spin up
:beerjug:

Which model GSA - age/mileage would be helpful.

Sad to say my first thought was the CCT, hence the noise, allowing a chain jump. So take great care with the investigation here. Let's hope not.

It's easy enough to sort the oil level. Also check the air filter for oil/condensate if the overfill is significant; remove a spark plug both sides & follow bisbee's suggestion. If the engine itself turns freely & only then, you can think about trying to fire her up. Just my take - good luck & keep us posted.

Don't worry about the oil sight glass showing full. If you put in the exact capacity it fills over the sight glass.

The engine is extremely hard to turn over in 6th gear by hand.

Sounds like you have a starter or battery problem.

If you don't mind getting your hands dirty I'd suggest removing and stripping your starter motor. I have to do mine every year or two as it gets a bit sticky. The symptoms when pressing the starter button are a loud clunk, lights on the dash dim and flicker and the clock resetting.
In one particular case one of the magnets had come unstuck and had jammed the starter motor completely. A quick clean and some epoxy glue got that back in place. That was about 8 years ago. It's still there to this day.

All of this is a timely reminder that mine needs to be done again as the symptoms are returning of late.

Regards

RobC

Back
Top Bottom