14 year old Gearbox Input Shaft

sykospain

Reaction score
25,000 miles and clean as the proverbial whistle. The spline and the friction plate hub felt slightly greasy on first examination, before meticulous degreasing, cleaning with a pick and a small wire brush. before applying a thin coating with Staburags NBU30 PTM.

It definitely felt as if on this bike, the crankcase/ gearbox interface had never been touched, judging by the state of the seam, the attachment bolts ( all 6 as dry as the witch's whatsit ) and the accumulated dust etc., in the casing.

Gearbox-Inoput-Shaft-cleaned-and-pristine.jpg

We'll see what Motorcycling Mo's year-04 GSA clutch innards look like next week.

AL in sunny Andalucía.

Last edited:
Hi there
Rumour has it you may have a spare input shaft ? - getting desperate !
Cheers

From ebay Germany - a brand new shaft at a reasonable price considering it's such a high-spec item : Joachim Rot ships to the Divided Kingdom from his pad in Deckenpfronn, a municipality in the district of Böblingen in beautiful Baden-Württemberg.

Buying from the German ebay is no big deal and contains 20 times the number of hard-to-get parts for our bikes. Shipping across the water to the war-torn godforsaken British Isles is quite reasonable, too.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Getriebe-An...h=item23abda3459:g:EfAAAOSwwBha~V2T:rk:5:pf:0

Oh! Are 1150 input shafts becoming scarce? If mine sticks to schedule it's due to destroy itself sometime soon.

Glad you find the German version of eBay useful - it seems from what the experts say that new stocks of the Gearbox Input Shaft won't be available from the Divided Kingdom usual spares suppliers until sometime in December.

It begs the question, ¿ for how much longer will the Greedy Berlin Pig continue to service parts for bikes as old as most of ours ?

There was a guy on the Sunshine Coast of British Columbia some years ago who planned to source a cheaper and better input shaft but he said at the time that there wasn't sufficient interest among forum members. He had the drawings and the engineering workshop all prepared and costed.

Nevertheless, it's no mean task pulling the gearbox components apart in order to install a new input shaft. I've done it once a few years ago on an R1100S and it was a nightmare getting everything to line up nicely with the selectors and the curved vent thingie, before popping the almost red-hot casing-half back on top, straight out of Her Indoors' oven.

There's a detailed Chris Harris video that I found very useful at the time - showing the whole procedure step-by-step carried out with the aid of his then-assistant who'd never worked on a boxer before - but for the life of me I can't find it nowadays. I've searched and searched to no avail.
AL in s.e. Spain

Gearbox removal video by Chris Harris

Greetings from across the pond! My first post here. I recently used that video to remove my the M97 gearbox on my 2001 R1100RT, found it very helpful! Hope you find it useful also!

* Disclaimer - Chris dis a major dervice on my bike when the previous owner had it. * ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gzR4WHD-94

<snip>...

There's a detailed Chris Harris video that I found very useful at the time - showing the whole procedure step-by-step carried out with the aid of his then-assistant who'd never worked on a boxer before - but for the life of me I can't find it nowadays. I've searched and searched to no avail.
AL in s.e. Spain

German new shaft seller "Will not ship to USA". fml

I hope he understands that most of us hate the bloated orange moron with a passion and either vated against him or did not vote as the opposing candidate was also unacceptable.

German new shaft seller "Will not ship to USA". fml

I hope he understands that most of us hate the bloated orange moron with a passion and either vated against him or did not vote as the opposing candidate was also unacceptable.

It's nothing to do with Trump... Lots of businesses won't/can't post to the USA, been that way for years..

Had the same response some years ago from a German eBay seller who stipulated German-territory delivery only, when I wanted some back end parts for my previous belt-drive F650CS "Scarver", a lovely little machine despite one of my son's mechanics describing it as "like riding a cement mixer with a brick in the front".

But because I'm lucky enough to speak the language of the Fatherland, I discussed the issue with the German seller and he agreed to send the parts uninsured.
As Steptoe knows, it's the insurance costs and palaver that discourages EU sellers from sending parts to the USA. Much the same in many instances for the other way round. So few USA bike parts sellers have EU agencies. My 4 SpeedBleeders for the 7mm threaded Tockico calipers came seamlessly in a week from Goodridge USA - so there are exceptions tot he rules.
And my magnificent Shorai LiPo high-energy battery came promptly from Czech, where Shorai in the USA has a rep. Unusual. But what a battery ! Spins that 1150 crank like gangbusters.

Back
Top Bottom