Ball joint fu barred ?

You've got me thinking. All those moons ago, before you discovered the ball joint needed doing, was much of your riding in town or out of town/longer, faster roads? k

I replaced mine a couple of months ago. Like a new GS now.

Bike became extremely "light" at the front cruising at higher speed (from and over 100mph).
I started losing confidence with the bike while leaning as it started "falling in" over a certain lean angle.
I realised something was very wrong (and that it wasn't my fault) when I started having some serious issues in between subsequent corners at a decent pace in France this summer (bike was very unstable).

There was a tear in the ball joint rubber. Also I bumped in the rear of a car some time ago. It was in pretty bad conditions when we replaced it. Apparently I adapted slowly over the increasing worsening of the bike's "rideability" until it was too much. :)

You haven’t returned my calls despite your weird urgency in pm and text. Hope is all ok. Any change will be subtle. Unless you now own my old bike

Didn't think my PM sounded that urgent or a simple request to exchange numbers to discuss an issue was weird, anyway,

I'm sorry mate I was working yesterday and couldn't return your call. I'll give you a shout today if it suits you.
Just let me know what time is good for you.
Apologies again.
Cheers
Dub 24

From my recollection, that ball joint position looks normal and when the forks compress, the ball will move to a more centred position. It is in the unloaded position in the photo. I would not think anything odd of the look of it there.

From my recollection, that ball joint position looks normal and when the forks compress, the ball will move to a more centred position. It is in the unloaded position in the photo. I would not think anything odd of the look of it there.

As Bin Ridin says :thumb2

You now just need to find out if you've got Smelly Old Boots old bike :aidan

We did get a bit off-piste. I guess the word 'angle' might have helped. But at least i now know play in the ball joint needs crash damage :D

Didn't think my PM sounded that urgent or a simple request to exchange numbers to discuss an issue was weird, anyway,

I'm sorry mate I was working yesterday and couldn't return your call. I'll give you a shout today if it suits you.
Just let me know what time is good for you.
Apologies again.
Cheers
Dub 24

Sound! I thought I smelt or something!!

Just an update, got the fork bridge out and found the bellows split underneath near the top, I wouldn't have spotted it without removing the joint. The joint was devoid of any grease and was very stiff and seems to have suffered from the weather. I hadn't a whole lot of trouble removing old balljoint just applied plenty of heat and a breaker bar.I plan to repaint the bottom of the forks and reassemble over the weekend and will give feedback when I get out for a spin. Thanks to everyone for their help and advice
Cheers

Good to hear you found the split bellows and look forward to seeing the update too!

Good to hear you've got into it and, presumably from what you say, fitted a new one. You timed it will with the change of weather!

Not sure how long you've had the bike, but interested if you notice any change to the handling with the new one fitted.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Cheers slippery eel.
I've had the bike about 18 mths but it's my first BMW and to be honest I thought the handling was fine until I took out the old ball joint and realized how little movement it had compared to the new. I reckon i should hopefully feel a difference in the handling and will let ye all know.

If anyone is thinking of tackling this job it's straight forward enough , the biggest hassle I had was locating a 46mm deep socket, I tried the world and his mother but no one I knew had one so had to buy it in the end.

I ended up using my mates very handy wedding present he received over nearly 40 years ago:D. I couldn't get it in to my vice but his black n decker held it secure enough and I stood on the step while he heaved on the breaker bar to loosen the ball joint after applying a s**t load of heat.

Hope this helps someone out and now let the ridiculing begin about all the crap in the backround :)
Cheers

Attachments

• IMG-20181025-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20181025-WA0004.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 163
Well done for getting out the workmate bench. Even if it is 40yrs old :) Actually, they're not a bad bit of kit, i think you proved that :thumb1

You'll be glad you've done it and got it out of the way. You'll be able to get on with riding it.

One check for play is with bike on stand which usually means front wheel off the floor, pull upwards in the top of the front wheel... I had about 5mm play in one of my gs's even though Te bike ride fine... Obviously when loaded up you wont feel play...�� cheap foe 2nd hand ones and not difficult to replace with patience...��

Just an update folks. I changed the ball joint and as previously posted the original was worn and very stiff to move , I went for a spin yesterday and can honestly say I have noticed a big difference in the handling, what's interesting though was there was absolutely no movement / play in the joint prior to removing it and the damage to the bellows would not have been discovered until it was removed.
Hope this info is of use to somebody
Cheers

Talking about ball joint gaiters, I've just changed mine (150k, no play that I can detect) but how do you get the bottom lip of the wretched thing to stay down? Is it just a push fit? I can't see a lip it's supposed to fit over?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just an update folks. I changed the ball joint and as previously posted the original was worn and very stiff to move , I went for a spin yesterday and can honestly say I have noticed a big difference in the handling, what's interesting though was there was absolutely no movement / play in the joint prior to removing it and the damage to the bellows would not have been discovered until it was removed.
Hope this info is of use to somebody
Cheers
Great result. Your experience matches mine :thumb2

And when the joint breaks down completely.....

Telelever-bolt-comes-undone.jpg

Hey there is a kind of a wire band that goes around the bottom if you check out YouTube there is a bloke on there who takes off a balljoint regreases it and in the process reinstall the wire band failing that perhaps a cable tie would be sufficient. If I can find the YouTube video and figure how to put it up I'll do so
Cheers

Hey there is a kind of a wire band that goes around the bottom if you check out YouTube there is a bloke on there who takes off a balljoint regreases it and in the process reinstall the wire band failing that perhaps a cable tie would be sufficient. If I can find the YouTube video and figure how to put it up I'll do so
Cheers

Ah right, that makes sense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom