Rear wheel bearing?

jimbo

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just had my MOT and I got an advise for "Rear Wheel bearing has slight play"

Its a 2014 bike with 30k miles - I thought I'd left these issue behind when I sold the 1150.

So I've just been out and had a feel :D

Definitely some toc-toc movement when held top and bottom, but I can't feel any movement when at 3 & 9 o'clock.

So - unless I have missed them - there aren't loads of threads on the rear bearings on LCs telling me what to do next- anybody able to give me any pointers
cheers
:thumb2

Just had my MOT and I got an advise for "Rear Wheel bearing has slight play"

Its a 2014 bike with 30k miles - I thought I'd left these issue behind when I sold the 1150.

So I've just been out and had a feel :D

Definitely some toc-toc movement when held top and bottom, but I can't feel any movement when at 3 & 9 o'clock.

So - unless I have missed them - there aren't loads of threads on the rear bearings on LCs telling me what to do next- anybody able to give me any pointers
cheers
:thumb2

Mikeyboy - He will wave the hammer of fetalisation

are you sure its the wheel? could it be the arm bearings?
Put the bike on the centre stand, pull the back end down and bounce the wheel on the floor whilst feeling the joints in the arm.. This is the best way I found of feeling for arm bearing movement

My 2015 bike got a new final drive under warranty for this problem and my 2018 bike has just had one as well. There is still slight play in the new unit, but much less than before. The pivot bearings were replaced at the same time as they come with the new final drive. I'm not happy about it to be honest, there was zero play when it was new. The newest final drive fitted was a superseded part number, I'm going to keep an eye on it. The bike has only done 7k miles.

Thanks
I will investigate further over the weekend.

Now you mention it, my final drive was replaced for corrosion, so its probably half the age/mileage of the rest of the bike, unless they just replaced the casing and transferred the drive internals over?

I am less bothered with the small amount of play, more concerned the wheel bearing starting to break up before dumping the oil on the rear wheel and leaving on the m40 hard shoulder (k1200) or middle of London (1150gs). BMW final drive failures have caused 2 out of 3 ever bike breakdown recoveries.

I thought I'd change the oil and see if there is any nasty bits present.

Had this on my K1200RS. Had to change the bearings in the bevel drive. Unfortunately for me it was spotted in MOT about 3 days before I had to leave for Croatia on the bike! Dealer workshop was full so I bought the parts and did it at home. Not a big job, maybe 2 hours (for a novice like me!).

Normal tools for the average home mechanic...

When BMW launched the LC boxer they also changed the design of the rear drive. again.
This time they returned to start, i.e all bearings inside and splashing in oil, and no tapered bearing. A concept that worked flawless for years and years.
Unfortunately, they where so confident in their "new" design that the internals of the rear drive are no longer available, except for the seals.

It is of course possible to open the drive, and MAY BE possible to get bearings from SKF, but history has it that quite often BMW orders bearings from the factory that are exclusive for BMW and thus not available from the general public.

If this is the case or not can only be learned by opening the drive and check the bearings. If it comes to replacing the drive anyway, the old one will only be worth its weight as an anchor anyway, so open it up prior to order a new one represent no economical risk.

Hope for the OP that is does not come to this, as the rear drives does not in any way come cheap. On the other hand, they seem to hold up pretty good, so perhaps a drive from a wrecked bike are available. Perhaps Motorworks may be of help.

https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop/Parts.php?T=5&NU=10&M=36&Ct=EA&SbCt=BA_10_36_EA_66

Needle roller bearing on the swingingarm to bevel box had significant play at 12,000 miles on my 2 1/2 year old gsa lc .........according to the dealer I was lucky to get that and it is a known issue.

Bearing looked as if it was grease(less) from new

My 2015 bike got a new final drive under warranty for this problem and my 2018 bike has just had one as well. There is still slight play in the new unit, but much less than before. The pivot bearings were replaced at the same time as they come with the new final drive. I'm not happy about it to be honest, there was zero play when it was new. The newest final drive fitted was a superseded part number, I'm going to keep an eye on it. The bike has only done 7k miles.

Where did you put your bike to get sorted? was it BMW Motoraad Aberdeen ( J Clark)

Back
Top Bottom