Front Brake Problem R1200GS LC

ianm00

Reaction score
I went to have a new front tyre fitted to my bike R1200GS 2014 LC today.

My tyre fitter removed the front Brake calipers and the front wheel to replace the tyre. After refitting the wheel and the brake calipers he pulled the front brake lever to pump the brakes as the pads had been pushed back slightly to remove the calipers.

On pulling the front brake lever it came back to the bars but didn't return! The plunger that the lever pushes in was stuck in the pushed in position!

Eventually after removing level and forcing brake pads back a bit further the plunger was freed and came out (no level in position to hold it in).

After fitting the plunger back and reassembled everything, the brakes were pumped up correctly and all was working correctly.

Has anyone seen this problem before or have any idea why this would happen?

Thanks

Ian

Hi Ian, yes I’ve seen this before, I put it down to the master cylinder operating on a less travelled part of the piston bore, I now use small strokes when pumping the brake pads back out.
Shouldn’t have damaged the seals but be more careful for a little while. ( hope I’ve explained it ok)

Hi Ian, yes I’ve seen this before, I put it down to the master cylinder operating on a less travelled part of the piston bore, I now use small strokes when pumping the brake pads back out.
Shouldn’t have damaged the seals but be more careful for a little while. ( hope I’ve explained it ok)

Hi,

Yes thanks for your reply. I haven't seen this before and was wondering how it could get stuck.

Thanks

Ian

Yes quite common if you push the piston too far back in when you compress the lever. Shouldn’t be a problem if my experience is anything to go by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back
Top Bottom