Insurance after engine upgrade

centurion

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all,
My R60/5 needs a rebore. I am also considering upgrading to 800cc barrels etc. Has anyone had any experiences with your insurance co,s when going for a bigger motor. Its not exactly a super performance upgrade but I know they can get a bit sniffy about any perceived engine upgrade. At best it could mean a hike in premiums or worst a refusal to insure the bike at all. Any info gratefully received.
Thanks Centurion
ps excuse the miss spelt title I don,t seem to be able to change it

I doubt if there is any sig difference between 600 and 800 on a bike of that age and style.

Bit different if it was a CB600R bored out.

Call your broker and see what difference it makes, and also a couple of other ones for a new policy (for when that date comes around).

Cant see it being much of an issue, TBH

Unless the upgrade includes heads and carbs from an 800 I personally wouldn’t bother.
I’ve got good barrels and pistonsfrom 80,s though if you wanted a pair,
Happy to grind off any markings that would be obvious to an expert,?

I have a boxer with a 1070 Seibenrock conversion. Insured with Footman James,made no difference to the premium and were happy for the business.

Interesting

This interests me , Because , I often Wonder about the modern day equivalent , "" RE-Maps"" i have never had a definite
answer to this . Although when i asked my insurance Broker they said , It definitely is an " Ungrade" and should be noted.

Opinions ?

Be careful my car insurer was sniffy because I had failed to inform them that my Polo was modified (it has a tow bar fitted) and stated that had i had an accident in the previous 12 months they would have invalidated my policy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Call your Broker/Insurer and ask them the question. its the only way you will get a definitive answer.

I was shopping around a few years ago during a renewal period and a company that I was considering refused to quote me because I mentioned that the bike was twin plugged!

I was shopping around a few years ago during a renewal period and a company that I was considering refused to quote me because I mentioned that the bike was twin plugged!

If you need to make a claim just remove the secondary plugs HT leads and no one would ever notice. :D

Back
Top Bottom