Odd noise...

milleplod

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Bolsover, no longer the home of the Beast.
....from the rear of my '55 plate RT yesterday. Setting off from a standstill at a junction, turning right. I'd probably moved no more than 3 or 4 yards, heard a very obvious, metallic-sounding 'twaannggg'...best description I can come up with! There was nothing on the road that could've caused it. Rode back home, only half a mile or so, no other noises heard.....put it on the centrestand, no odd sounds spinning the wheel, nothing felt odd at all. Set off again, it didn't happen again. :confused:

I'd been fiddling with the preload before setting off the first time, I wound it more or less up to the max - could it be the rear spring 'settling' or something? :nenau

Pete

No spokes, it's an RT....posted in here as there's more traffic! :)

I looked at the spring, it's not snapped.....do they break??! Had a couple of cars with a broken one but never a bike. Hopefully it was just the noise of a bit of movement on it then, I doubt it's ever been wound to max before.

Pete

Jack the bike up lifting the weight off the back end and check things like the suspension arm for any unusual movement, grab the top and bottom of the wheel and try feeling for any slack.

Did you have your sock suspenders on at the time :rolleyes::D

I've had the back end up - no noises, no movement that shouldn't be there, top/bottom of wheel....no movement....zilch. :nenau I've got a Hagon unit to go on the rear, I wasn't going to fit it till winter sets in, but I think I'l do it Monday to give me chance to check the mounting bolts - the top looks fine, can't tell what the bottom one's like though...other than it's not loose!

Socks, with flip-flops....? :D

Pete

Anything loose on the fairing at all as it might be a mounting bolt?

I've been over it from top to bottom and can't see anything obviously amiss. The more I think about it, the more I think it was a 'spring' sort of noise. The bottom rear shock bolt isn't under tension as such (I think....) so I don't think it would make the 'twang' sound that I heard if it did break. I'll find out tomorrow when I fit the Hagon! I might drop the rear drive for a look in there too.

Pete

I've been over it from top to bottom and can't see anything obviously amiss. The more I think about it, the more I think it was a 'spring' sort of noise. The bottom rear shock bolt isn't under tension as such (I think....) so I don't think it would make the 'twang' sound that I heard if it did break. I'll find out tomorrow when I fit the Hagon! I might drop the rear drive for a look in there too.

Pete

Could it be the spring wasnt seated properly, and the twang was it seating correctly ?

That's what I was thinking/hoping! I don't know why it wouldn't be seated right though :nenau....like I said, I'd just wound the preload up to more or less max - can that rotate the spring at all? :confused:
Could have been some stiction in the shock , we see it on smaller units. When the strut is asked to extend or contract it sticks momentarily then releases with a jolt.

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

Could have been some stiction in the shock , we see it on smaller units. When the strut is asked to extend or contract it sticks momentarily then releases with a jolt.

That could be it. I think I'd have seen other symptoms by now if anything had actually broken - it's certainly been on my mind when riding over the last few days! :eek:

That could be it. I think I'd have seen other symptoms by now if anything had actually broken - it's certainly been on my mind when riding over the last few days! :eek:
Given that you have been playing with the preload, seems a likley culprit,. That it should occur shortly after. Stiction normally occurs when the unit has been in one state ie compressed or contracted for some time and then asked to move. Just a thought has the bike got electronic suspension? Could be as you've moved the preload the unit has been trying to move electronicly, and the stiction has prevented it,. Then it pops with a twang??

Back
Top Bottom