Accelerating issue

Alwaysawayround

Reaction score
Here's my story: for whatever reason i was accelerating hard from 5th to all of 6 (full throttle) on Motorway recently, and suddenly bike acted strangely as if I couldn't use the throttle anymore, electrics working but no engine just like it gave up the ghost because I couldn't rev any more and started to slow down slowly, no throttle possible, no engine, fuel etc
I fortunately made it to the hard shoulder from the outside 3rd lane very promptly because I was ahead of the traffic I had 'left'. Whilst still cruising now in neutral on the hard shoulder wondering what the f just happened, I turned off engine in neutral (as it wouldn't fire up on button), fired up and was neck in action, safely rejoined motorway.

Anyone have similar experience?
My guesses are the throttle bodies may need a service or a new TBS installed, fuel pump issue or all 3.
I love the bike, but it does have its quirks but has taken me all over Europe so far, and don't want to trade it just yet for a tft computer screen, bit better top speed and more plastic.
Any advice welcome...

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Did you lose all the electrics or was it just engine dead ?

Did it fire up on starter or by bumping ?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Just couldn't use the throttle was nothing, dash and lights on as it decelerated. As Rolling in neutral on hard, wouldn't fire on button so turned off turned by key, fired up.

I've read many posts about similar issues but usually talking about low speed, 2nd gear clutch in... people suggest the throttle bodies being the culprit, 9k miles in last few months and this at high speed hasn't occurred, but engine has died with electrics on, a couple of times but generally low speed coming down the gears and happens in 2nd gear low speed after continuous hours riding, but this time was high speed motorway jaunt.

I had similarish problem with a Triumph, it was bad connection at ignition key.

Doing tps and balancing makes a big difference to engine smoothness.

Was it turning over on starter but not running, or not turning over ?

Sorry for extra question, additional information often makes it easier for people to comment better.

Thinking out aloud. Could it be the fuel cap vent is blocked?

My old Honda ST did this. Under high speed (motorway speeds I mean) and accelerating in full throttle, it would effectively cut out, but everything else was behaving as it should. Pretty much what you're describing.

It bloody took me about a month of occasional motorway work to reduce a vacuum was building up. Lifted the fuel cap and bingo. All sorted. Cleared the vent and it was fixed forever thereafter.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Thinking out aloud. Could it be the fuel cap vent is blocked?

My old Honda ST did this. Under high speed (motorway speeds I mean) and accelerating in full throttle, it would effectively cut out, but everything else was behaving as it should. Pretty much what you're describing.

It bloody took me about a month of occasional motorway work to reduce a vacuum was building up. Lifted the fuel cap and bingo. All sorted. Cleared the vent and it was fixed forever thereafter.

Will give this a shot and see, loved the ST(11) such a well made machine, they like to go too with some done RTW, uncles got one low mileage I'd have dibs on, one of my fave bikes. Cheers!

I had similarish problem with a Triumph, it was bad connection at ignition key.

Doing tps and balancing makes a big difference to engine smoothness.

Was it turning over on starter but not running, or not turning over ?

Sorry for extra question, additional information often makes it easier for people to comment better.

There was nothing when hitting the button just engine deceleration and unresponsive throttle. As it has had the engine cutout but electrics working in the past ( always at after high long high speed, from 2nd into first) this would happen but usually can fire up straight away, bizarre. Would you know how much it'll cost for a balance/TPS?

Got a camera aboard now so kind of hoping it'll happen to help further troubleshooting.

Main dealer prices for approx 90 minutes !

Depends where you are, there are some excellent independents around the country.

Steptoe, of this here parish can advise far better than I.

Main dealer prices for approx 90 minutes !

Depends where you are, there are some excellent independents around the country.

Steptoe, of this here parish can advise far better than I.

Okay that gives me a ballpark figure... We're Just in Co.Galway Ireland. Upon payday I'll be calling around and comparing garages from all the suggestions I received on another thread, then update this for the future unlucky ones. Problems aside though, this bike does everything including breaking down
710abfc9566063808db5a6038b0938a3.jpg

Will give this a shot and see, loved the ST(11) such a well made machine, they like to go too with some done RTW, uncles got one low mileage I'd have dibs on, one of my fave bikes. Cheers!

Yes, i did like that ST. But just a bit long in the tooth now and bloody heavy! Not to mention those brakes which were just not up to managing all that weight, at least the way I used to ride it!

A dead simple test for the filler cap/vent idea is just to ride with it open. Not wide open, but unlocked and sitting against the latch. I think you'll find out pretty quickly if it's this or not. And it's free too :)

Keep us posted!

Yes, i did like that ST. But just a bit long in the tooth now and bloody heavy! Not to mention those brakes which were just not up to managing all that weight, at least the way I used to ride it!

A dead simple test for the filler cap/vent idea is just to ride with it open. Not wide open, but unlocked and sitting against the latch. I think you'll find out pretty quickly if it's this or not. And it's free too :)

Keep us posted!

Yes they are getting on a bit, life's too short not to enjoy the advantages of technology. Okay great, will give it a whirl, its only happened once hopefully it'll stay like that. Will keep this updated... Cheers lads

Seems a bit sudden for some of these solutions OP.

My money would be on either the side-stand switch or tank breather. We suffered both on the wifes Kawasaki, in short succession. She convinced herself that she had run out of fuel, but popping the filler cap solved it initially. Then the side-stand switch played it's tricks, leaving her with a bike that would happily restart at the roadside in neutral with the SS deployed - we changed the SSS & clutch micro-switch for good measure, as sudden loss of power can lead to some dangerous situations. Problem sorted.

Seems a bit sudden for some of these solutions OP.

My money would be on either the side-stand switch or tank breather. We suffered both on the wifes Kawasaki, in short succession. She convinced herself that she had run out of fuel, but popping the filler cap solved it initially. Then the side-stand switch played it's tricks, leaving her with a bike that would happily restart at the roadside in neutral with the SS deployed - we changed the SSS & clutch micro-switch for good measure, as sudden loss of power can lead to some dangerous situations. Problem sorted.
That side stand issue grrr. Pretty sure it isn't that. I can check this out as well though, the tank breather is situated underneath the filler cap?

Did you check the throttle cable connection they are similar in design to a usb plug and can come loose thus getting no signal on the fly by wire can bus?

Guys, today I had 1 after another engine die (un) fortunately caught it on camera https://youtu.be/XnMUMji1eEQ
It's nothing to do with stalling, I've checked the throttle cable, played around with all leads and battery at idle and can't seem to replicate the issue, I'm lost... Any ideas? Both times going from 2nd to 1st clutch in, engine dies but electrics fine then a hesitant start

Check that the throttle bodies are properly seated and all connections/clamps are solid back to the airbox...............just a thought.

Now you have put up the vid, the problem seems very strange. Rather precludes the SS switch, as you wouldn't get the relatively prompt restart without deploying the stand. Could be a degraded kill switch, but again, the bikes affected didn't restart, neither did those with an ign switch issue IIRC. I can't read the dash, does the gear indicator read correctly - wierd things can happen when the bike doesn't know accuratley what gear it is in - you then shift back to neutral & the ECU permits a restart.

Otherwise it looks like a check for codes at the dealer, unless you have access to a GS911.

I would check the throttle cable seating, coils, plugs and lambdas followed by the TPS ( probably just replace it for a Hella item ), check valve clearances and remove/clean and park idle steppers, perform throttle synch and throw some fuel system cleaner in the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like I've plenty to check, had a late 36k major completed except the throttle bodies so hopefully this could solve this random fault.

The mechanic over here in Ireland who serviced my bike did mention lambda sensor in the fault codes but was 'cleared' and never returned although the service light was still showing post service, valve clearance was "needed". I'll also check if I can fit a new TPS when I can source one in Ireland, and check the coils, clamps etc will keep this updated, so for now muchas gracias amigos!

Back
Top Bottom