Accelerating issue

When my bike was stalling (due to undiagnosed faulty coils) I had the same engine stop problem. The clutch switch also developed a fault so the bike could only be started in neutral. For a while I got used to selecting neutral without stopping and it always fired up again. With the clutch switch not working, the starter would not operate with the bike in gear.

people suggest the throttle bodies being the culprit,

Looks like I've plenty to check, had a late 36k major completed except the throttle bodies so hopefully this could solve this random fault.

What is this throttle body problem you seem fixated about ?

Throttle bodies are just tubes that allow air and petrol into the combustion chamber, they don't actually fail or break, they just go out of adjustment and the symptoms of out of adjustment throttle bodies don't include random engine cutting out.

Thats similar to what mine started doing.

it would stall on closed throttle with the clutch in, usually during braking and downshifting

A cleaned TPS sensor solved it short term, until a replacement turned up.

The cleaning procedure is documented on here

the replacement part is about £40

As I said earlier, do the obvious checks and if nothing found, buy a TPS for £38 from Hella and replace the one on the bike. Its not guaranteed that its faulty, but it matches your symptoms.

The TPS gives the engine control unit processor an analog signal 0-100% throttle position by a delicate carbon track and wiper arm which can wear. This tells the ecu how much fuel to inject, how often, and for how long plus when to trigger the ignition coils. If it gives an incorrect or zero output, your engine will run erratically or return to idle no matter how hard or fast you pull on the throttle grip.

As Steptoe points out, the throttle body is a pipe with an air regulating butterfly in it which just opens and shuts mechanically. The engine is not controlled by air mass metering like a car, but just by simple throttle position feedback via the TPS on the left side throttle body.

As I said earlier, do the obvious checks and if nothing found, buy a TPS for £38 from Hella and replace the one on the bike. Its not guaranteed that its faulty, but it matches your symptoms.

The TPS gives the engine control unit processor an analog signal 0-100% throttle position by a delicate carbon track and wiper arm which can wear. This tells the ecu how much fuel to inject, how often, and for how long plus when to trigger the ignition coils. If it gives an incorrect or zero output, your engine will run erratically or return to idle no matter how hard or fast you pull on the throttle grip.
If, you have a ref no. for the Hella tps I'm sure he'd find it helpful.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom