BMW R1250GS vs BMW R1200GSA Acceleration Test Video

Tbh who gives a toss, I couldn’t give a damm what anyone else thinks about how much better (or not) the 1250 is, I don’t really care if it’s 1-2 or 3 seconds faster, it is faster everywhere, I don’t have any figures, just what I felt whilst riding at normal speeds (not that I need a faster bike). All that matters is what I think, as it’s my money I’ll be spending. I rode a 1200 and a 1250 back to back last week, the 1250 is much better, I would not buy a 1200 over a 1250 even if it was £2500 less. I wanted a 1250 but the dealer couldn’t make the figures work to my satisfaction, so I’ll wait until this time next year.

I perfectly understand someone saying the 1200 is almost as good as the 1250, so it’s not worth changing, each individual has different expectations and requirements and money has a huge factor in decisions. But my seat of the pants test is overwhelmingly in favour of the 1250, it’s better.

To anyone who’s bought a 1250, all I can say is....
You lucky bastards :D :thumby:

And that sums it all up perfectly.

+1
:beerjug:

To anyone who’s bought a 1250, all I can say is....
You lucky bastards :D :thumby:

Well, let's just wait and see. Too early to be dishing out awards and trophys, the Beta Testing has only just started.

What we don't know:-

a) Will the shift-cam hardware (actuator & pins) or Software eat itself, and if it does, what are the consequences?

b) How does the shift-cam actuator failover? Does it go back to low cam to limp home, or stay in high cam and strand you?. Do both actuators always mirror each other in failover?. what are the consequences if they don't?

c) How durable is the shift-cam actuator hardware (electronics, cam tracks or the pins)? do they wear and create havoc? are the electronics reliable? can you keep oil out of the actuator unit? How sensitive is it to be knocked or banged about?

d) What if one side actuator fails, but the other side continues to move cams normally.... does it shut down? Or continue, what are the consequences?

e) Can the final drive, gearbox, clutch, cush systems cope easily with the extra torque being dished out? It'll definitely induce more wear.

f) Will 1250 owners be moaning about rear tyre wear? Torque eats tyres.

g) ...add more questions here

Just saying like.... you lucky betabastards haha :D

Here in Spain every day if you want to.....all year round. :D

But I agree, cock-all difference in the grand scheme of things. I notice the comparison omitted the 2017 version which the video (I think) compared with.

If you have a 2017/18 model, the 1250 isn't going to give you anything new except a bit of torque and a few extra horses, especially if you already have a TE with TFT. If, on the other hand, you have a 2015 or earlier model, and you're willing to part with (quite a bit) more money, then you will notice the difference.

What's the difference between the 2015 and 2017/18 GS's please? I thought the were supposed to be the same power, this could just be my ignorance of GS's. I only ask because I've ridden a 2015 model extensively but not a later 1200

Not if I was on it …….:bounce1:bounce1:bounce1:bounce1:thumby::thumby:

Naughty.... now that would be racing.... :D:augie:eyebrow:eyebrow:eyebrow:eyebrow:eyebrow

... and that's not what the Black Country Route bypass was built for :D

Naughty.... now that would be racing.... :D:augie:eyebrow:eyebrow:eyebrow:eyebrow:eyebrow

... and that's not what the Black Country Route bypass was built for :D

When racing on public roads with bikes with similar power, give or take, and riders with similar skills, the winner is usually the one most willing to exceed the speedlimits and taking the highest risks.

The wall between brave and stupid is a very thin line.:hippy

When racing on public roads with bikes with similar power, give or take, and riders with similar skills, the winner is usually the one most willing to exceed the speedlimits and taking the highest risks.

The wall between brave and stupid is a very thin line.:hippy

There you go, just have to accept that the 1200 and 1250 are exactly the same... no difference :)

Anyways, I'm too old to be racing elephants

Stick after reading your enthusiastic posts I definitely will sell my 1200-ADV and either get me a Urban G/S with another 5 grand of parts thrown at it (Ohlins,H & B Alu boxes,etc) or get a 1250 HP with sports suspension or 1250 ADV...Alles neu macht der Mai...:D
After you break-in service please give us a complete review taking it all the way to redline...1200 vs 1250...:thumb
Also still waiting for an answer about the big geometry changes (+9 mm more trail) at least on paper...

What's the difference between the 2015 and 2017/18 GS's please? I thought the were supposed to be the same power, this could just be my ignorance of GS's. I only ask because I've ridden a 2015 model extensively but not a later 1200

I either didn't explain myself very well or you misunderstood the intent. Probably a bit of both. In terms of HP there is no difference between a 2015 and a 2017/18. The reason I chose 2015 is that your PCP deal will be coming up for decision time. The 2015 didn't have the TFT option (nor did the 2017, I believe) and so, if it was decision time, as I say, then TFT and the smoothness of the new engine together with a few extra horses and more pull might swing it, but not necessarily the extra power alone. But ONLY if the bike is nearing the end of the PCP; if you already have a 2017 TE then it ain't worth it just for the TFT.

The bod on the 1250 needs to adjust his position more to preserve his safety bubble in the face of on-coming traffic.

He'd be able to faster if he was less scared about crashing...

I did wince a few times, watching that

The bod on the 1250 needs to adjust his position more to preserve his safety bubble in the face of on-coming traffic.

He'd be able to faster if he was less scared about crashing...

I think he might have been itching to get past me.....

Not if I was on it …….:bounce1:bounce1:bounce1:bounce1:thumby::thumby:

Fuck me I don't know how you keep your licence,I bet you could give Marquez a run for his money especially on those twisties !

There you go, just have to accept that the 1200 and 1250 are exactly the same... no difference :)

Anyways, I'm too old to be racing elephants

Of course there is a difference. But it's not like the new engine is a nuclear powerplant. It's merely 11Hp and 18 Nm.

But I fully share your point of view, no point in changing bike if the only motivation is to get a stronger engine.

That said, I will replace my -15 GSA for a -19 1250 GSA.
A short test ride proved the engine to be smooth and had a bit more power on lower RPMs. It required less shifting of gear. Since the test bike was brand new I did not test the high rpm regime, but even on my 1200 I hardly ever feel the need to go WOT.

Getting the upgraded engine (after all the -19 model is basically a -18 with upgraded software and new cylinders and heads) does not worry me. The upgrade is technically quite simple (and clever) so making it durable should not pose a challenge. In my country we get 5 years guarantee, and BMW are supportive, so no worries.
Also, the price remains unchanged.

Of course there is a difference. But it's not like the new engine is a nuclear powerplant. It's merely 11Hp and 18 Nm.

But I fully share your point of view, no point in changing bike if the only motivation is to get a stronger engine.

That said, I will replace my -15 GSA for a -19 1250 GSA.
A short test ride proved the engine to be smooth and had a bit more power on lower RPMs. It required less shifting of gear. Since the test bike was brand new I did not test the high rpm regime, but even on my 1200 I hardly ever feel the need to go WOT.

Getting the upgraded engine (after all the -19 model is basically a -18 with upgraded software and new cylinders and heads) does not worry me. The upgrade is technically quite simple (and clever) so making it durable should not pose a challenge. In my country we get 5 years guarantee, and BMW are supportive, so no worries.
Also, the price remains unchanged.

+1 what he said

Stick after reading your enthusiastic posts I definitely will sell my 1200-ADV and either get me a Urban G/S with another 5 grand of parts thrown at it (Ohlins,H & B Alu boxes,etc) or get a 1250 HP with sports suspension or 1250 ADV...Alles neu macht der Mai...:D
After you break-in service please give us a complete review taking it all the way to redline...1200 vs 1250...:thumb
Also still waiting for an answer about the big geometry changes (+9 mm more trail) at least on paper...

THERE. IS. NO. GEOMETRY. CHANGE.

So funny, all the people saying there’s not much difference in the new engine, but they’re getting a new bike anyway. Trying to play it cool, but obviously very excited.:D

So funny, all the people saying there’s not much difference in the new engine, but they’re getting a new bike anyway. Trying to play it cool, but obviously very excited.:D

Nutty , excited me thinks as its way better than the old one maybe they just cant have one yet...….
I did as mine was 2 yrs old , well trashed and needed to go , I had the chance I took it and im over the moon.
Im riding it in the real world and it is a great step forward and the engine is brilliant.

Nutty , excited me thinks as its way better than the old one maybe they just cant have one yet...….
I did as mine was 2 yrs old , well trashed and needed to go , I had the chance I took it and im over the moon.
Im riding it in the real world and it is a great step forward and the engine is brilliant.

I'm glad you're enjoying it. :thumb

Back
Top Bottom