BMW R1250GS vs BMW R1200GSA Acceleration Test Video

Warlord I'm actually thinking about getting a Urban G/S while they still make them and put Ohlins & Hepco-Becker bags on it and take it to Mexico pretending it in 1981 going down memory lane when I was 16 seing the R80G/S for the first time thinking how can people afford such expensive motorcycles...;) As I can always get a new 1250...:D

Stick the E-3 Akra fits...we still wait for your review when you finally give your 1250 the stig...;)

I wouldn't trade my "ancient" 2016 gsa for a new 1250, as despite some of the back slapping by journos and BMW, they are not nor ever will be a performance bike and in the real world, especially on UK roads, there's zero advantage because individual riding standards dictate more how quick A to B any of these bikes can be hacked.

136BHP at the crank is not a huge leap forwards, although usable torque curve (provided they've taken care of low rpm pinging!) improvements might make it feel a lot stronger. Some might argue is it even worth the extra complexity? My own very personal view is "probably not". I'd rather have seen anti-knock sensors re-introduced for the 1200 LC and a raft of other sensible up-dates (like properly made spoked wheels) rather than churning out an expensive replacement with seemingly little real world on road advantage but these things have a habit of moving on irrespective. My Mk1 Tiger Explorer was more powerful than the 1250, probably faster and probably half the cost without a single reliability worry in the time I had it. If it wasn't for the fact it weighed as much as a Tiger tank (some similar over engineering used there I suspect!) I'd likely have been happy plodding around forever more on that bike.

Tbh who gives a toss, I couldn’t give a damm what anyone else thinks about how much better (or not) the 1250 is, I don’t really care if it’s 1-2 or 3 seconds faster, it is faster everywhere, I don’t have any figures, just what I felt whilst riding at normal speeds (not that I need a faster bike). All that matters is what I think, as it’s my money I’ll be spending. I rode a 1200 and a 1250 back to back last week, the 1250 is much better, I would not buy a 1200 over a 1250 even if it was £2500 less. I wanted a 1250 but the dealer couldn’t make the figures work to my satisfaction, so I’ll wait until this time next year.

I perfectly understand someone saying the 1200 is almost as good as the 1250, so it’s not worth changing, each individual has different expectations and requirements and money has a huge factor in decisions. But my seat of the pants test is overwhelmingly in favour of the 1250, it’s better.

To anyone who’s bought a 1250, all I can say is....
You lucky bastards :D :thumby:

Well said :thumby:

I wouldn't trade my "ancient" 2016 gsa for a new 1250, as despite some of the back slapping by journos and BMW, they are not nor ever will be a performance bike and in the real world, especially on UK roads, there's zero advantage because individual riding standards dictate more how quick A to B any of these bikes can be hacked.

136BHP at the crank is not a huge leap forwards, although usable torque curve (provided they've taken care of low rpm pinging!) improvements might make it feel a lot stronger. Some might argue is it even worth the extra complexity? My own very personal view is "probably not". I'd rather have seen anti-knock sensors re-introduced for the 1200 LC and a raft of other sensible up-dates (like properly made spoked wheels) rather than churning out an expensive replacement with seemingly little real world on road advantage but these things have a habit of moving on irrespective. My Mk1 Tiger Explorer was more powerful than the 1250, probably faster and probably half the cost without a single reliability worry in the time I had it. If it wasn't for the fact it weighed as much as a Tiger tank (some similar over engineering used there I suspect!) I'd likely have been happy plodding around forever more on that bike.

I do agree with what you are saying, but that will not stop us from buying.

It's like heroine, and the BMW salesman is our pusher :hippy

LoL....fair comment. Spangley shiny new bikes with lots of farkles and salesmen plying you with test rides and decent coffee can have that effect, especially if the bank balance is healthy! I only popped in for a service on my 1200 Tiger and sort of ended up buying a 1200 GSA. My wife wasn't especially happy and has since bought a painting that I didn't know we wanted or needed...or could afford. She knows I have zero wriggle room there so I suspect this will be the first of many unnecessary retaliatory strikes! It's a sort of Cold War scenario in the home once you buy a new bike...

LoL....fair comment. Spangley shiny new bikes with lots of farkles and salesmen plying you with test rides and decent coffee can have that effect, especially if the bank balance is healthy! I only popped in for a service on my 1200 Tiger and sort of ended up buying a 1200 GSA. My wife wasn't especially happy and has since bought a painting that I didn't know we wanted or needed...or could afford. She knows I have zero wriggle room there so I suspect this will be the first of many unnecessary retaliatory strikes! It's a sort of Cold War scenario in the home once you buy a new bike...

I think that is universal. There will always be a counter-demand coming up if they find out. "Hey, if you can afford a new bike, surely you can afford a new bathroom".

The clue is not to say anything, just get a new bike in the same color. The hard part is keeping a lid on the excitement during the time from signed contract to delivery

Sorry disagree , my old 1200 was faster than the speed triple 1050 , also the guy on the 1050 got rid of it an bought a GS , and to say the mark 1 is quick , is quite frankly bollox.
I traded my 16 TB as I wished for a better bike with the bits that have been , as some say , lacking , sorted.
The new bike in the real world and the late 16 plate are fantasic , capable and fast bikes. Okay if you like long straights and 140 plus , fine your right its slow , but not on a day to day basis.
I am glad to be another Beta tester as I have said before , negativity is easy , taking a gamble is harder , I choose the latter as you could be dead tomorrow.

Sorry disagree , my old 1200 was faster than the speed triple 1050 , also the guy on the 1050 got rid of it an bought a GS , and to say the mark 1 is quick , is quite frankly bollox.
I traded my 16 TB as I wished for a better bike with the bits that have been , as some say , lacking , sorted.
The new bike in the real world and the late 16 plate are fantasic , capable and fast bikes. Okay if you like long straights and 140 plus , fine your right its slow , but not on a day to day basis.
I am glad to be another Beta tester as I have said before , negativity is easy , taking a gamble is harder , I choose the latter as you could be dead tomorrow.

I didn't mention anything about a 1050 speed triple (!)....they don't make a "1050 Explorer"...which is the only ill informed "bollox" being spouted here to use your phrase. I had a 1200 Tiger Explorer ;-) I can tell you from first hand experience that it was quicker than my current GSA which is what it is...a fact..marginal or not. You need to read what was actually written my friend instead of jumping in with both feet and using aggressive language ;-)

It's true that it isn't about top speeds. It's about how the bike performs at every day roles, how it handles, and for me, how well it stops too. The GSA's brakes are much better than those on the Tiger Explorer (Mk1) but the Explorer felt far more planted and secure on fast A road bends and had more feedback though the tyres, although that might just be a reflection of the tyres fitted. My GSA tyres are pretty worn which is probably a big part of the story.

I didn't mention anything about a 1050 speed triple (!)....they don't make a "1050 Explorer"...which is the only ill informed "bollox" being spouted here to use your phrase. I had a 1200 Tiger Explorer ;-) I can tell you from first hand experience that it was quicker than my current GSA which is what it is...a fact..marginal or not. You need to read what was actually written my friend instead of jumping in with both feet and using aggressive language ;-)

It's true that it isn't about top speeds. It's about how the bike performs at every day roles, how it handles, and for me, how well it stops too. The GSA's brakes are much better than those on the Tiger Explorer (Mk1) but the Explorer felt far more planted and secure on fast A road bends and had more feedback though the tyres, although that might just be a reflection of the tyres fitted. My GSA tyres are pretty worn which is probably a big part of the story.

Sorry misunderstanding , still not faster tho lol...
Ill get my coat , but I don't think I was aggressive . Have you ridden one yet out of interest.

Morety your commends about how a top-heavy beast like a Explorer 1200 better handling than your GSA or that a GS/GSA is not a performance bike made me laugh...I don't know what kind of rider you are or if you do a lot of trackdays or worked yourself up the ladder to the few others look up to running fast a group pace but I can tell you if you are on a GS on twisty and less than perfect paved roads like the roads we ride on most of the time and you don't stay ahead of the sportiest hardware aka superbikes it is not the GS' fault...;) On a track things are of course different...long straights,faster turns,smooth pavement.
And in a perfect world the new GS would have been a 1300 with 150hp/143nm,17" wheels 220 Kg wet...:D
But the world is everything but perfect...it's only as good as it gets...enjoy the new 1250 fellas :thumb2
I hope I get to test-ride on soon...and look forward to EICMA to see the new GSA and S1000RR :thumby:
And of course the factory effort of the british-german team with Tom Sykes & Markus Reiterberger running the all new S1000RR in WSBK 2019...:beerjug:

I responded honestly. In power terms alone, it's a country mile off being a performance "sportsbike" but that's not what it's about is it? I've owned a fair few of those as it happens over 35 odd years riding. I do fully accept though that on real world bumpy and potholed roads, there's nothing else I'd rather be riding than my GS:D

Sorry misunderstanding , still not faster tho lol...
Ill get my coat , but I don't think I was aggressive . Have you ridden one yet out of interest.

Not the 1250, no. I'd be interested in riding one though but wouldn't because I know I'd probably then want one!

In terms of the Trumpet, I've owned a few of them and ridden all the newer ones from the Tiger, to the Explorer (sorry....Tiger 1200 as Triumph has re-branded it) and the 800xrt. To be honest, I preferred the 800xrt over the newer 1200 Tigers. Lighter, very agile and impressively quick when it's wound on. It just seems one of those engines perfectly suited to the bike. What I don't like about some of the new Triumphs though is the OE tyre choice. They add an odd turn in that saw me running wide into my first corners on both the 800xrt and the 1200. My own Tiger Explorer just seemed way more neutral handling which I prefer. Slower handling perhaps, but very planted. In a straight line that bike had impressive punch and the sound from the Remus Hexacone fitted was addictive!

Must admit that the standard GS in 1200LC trim was very entertaining as it felt more like a 500 to me coming off the Tiger as I did. I thought that the lighter weight really helped performance compared with my GSA, which itself is perfectly adequate, especially if ragged :D The 1250 with its re-worked motor and fatter, flatter torque curve may not be a massive step up in power but I'd put money on it feeling a lot livelier and probably smoother too. I guess my point is that I simply couldn't justify the extra money to trade in a 2 year old GSA for the 1250 when that significant extra needed doesn't necessarily buy a massive step up in any area. It's bound to be better otherwise they'd not have bothered updating the model and no doubt in 4 years down the line I'll probably look at one then.

One thing I am convinced about though after riding some KTMs is despite their very impressive engines (twisting the throttle on a 1290 is a bit like pulling the pin on a hand grenade!) is that the GS feels way more composed to me and I though the fuelling, especially lower down, on the GS bikes is better. I didn't like the comfort (or lack of it) on my own earlier model KTM, nor the lack of weather protection. On a longer journey, I know which I'd rather be on...and I'm on it. My fave KTM has to be the best all rounder imho they ever made which was the older 990 SMT. Loved that bike and if the garage could accommodate another bike it's the one I'd buy for fun. Simple to home service, reliable, quick enough, light as a feather...I wouldn't want to tour on one though.

For all the talk about the new model, one thing that 35 years of motorcycling's led me to and that's that the GS bikes deserve their crown as possibly the world's best all-rounders. Only wish I'd come to one a little sooner.

The initial post and title though I find meaningless. Who really cares which one wins out in a drag race? They're undoubtedly quick enough and back in the real world, cross country, I'd bet that riding ability matters more than which of those bikes you ride. It's all good though.

My apologies Stick for being a little terse in my initial response by the way :hippy

Not the 1250, no. I'd be interested in riding one though but wouldn't because I know I'd probably then want one!

In terms of the Trumpet, I've owned a few of them and ridden all the newer ones from the Tiger, to the Explorer (sorry....Tiger 1200 as Triumph has re-branded it) and the 800xrt. To be honest, I preferred the 800xrt over the newer 1200 Tigers. Lighter, very agile and impressively quick when it's wound on. It just seems one of those engines perfectly suited to the bike. What I don't like about some of the new Triumphs though is the OE tyre choice. They add an odd turn in that saw me running wide into my first corners on both the 800xrt and the 1200. My own Tiger Explorer just seemed way more neutral handling which I prefer. Slower handling perhaps, but very planted. In a straight line that bike had impressive punch and the sound from the Remus Hexacone fitted was addictive!

Must admit that the standard GS in 1200LC trim was very entertaining as it felt more like a 500 to me coming off the Tiger as I did. I thought that the lighter weight really helped performance compared with my GSA, which itself is perfectly adequate, especially if ragged :D The 1250 with its re-worked motor and fatter, flatter torque curve may not be a massive step up in power but I'd put money on it feeling a lot livelier and probably smoother too. I guess my point is that I simply couldn't justify the extra money to trade in a 2 year old GSA for the 1250 when that significant extra needed doesn't necessarily buy a massive step up in any area. It's bound to be better otherwise they'd not have bothered updating the model and no doubt in 4 years down the line I'll probably look at one then.

One thing I am convinced about though after riding some KTMs is despite their very impressive engines (twisting the throttle on a 1290 is a bit like pulling the pin on a hand grenade!) is that the GS feels way more composed to me and I though the fuelling, especially lower down, on the GS bikes is better. I didn't like the comfort (or lack of it) on my own earlier model KTM, nor the lack of weather protection. On a longer journey, I know which I'd rather be on...and I'm on it. My fave KTM has to be the best all rounder imho they ever made which was the older 990 SMT. Loved that bike and if the garage could accommodate another bike it's the one I'd buy for fun. Simple to home service, reliable, quick enough, light as a feather...I wouldn't want to tour on one though.

For all the talk about the new model, one thing that 35 years of motorcycling's led me to and that's that the GS bikes deserve their crown as possibly the world's best all-rounders. Only wish I'd come to one a little sooner.

The initial post and title though I find meaningless. Who really cares which one wins out in a drag race? They're undoubtedly quick enough and back in the real world, cross country, I'd bet that riding ability matters more than which of those bikes you ride. It's all good though.

My apologies Stick for being a little terse in my initial response by the way :hippy

No apology needed , the above makes good reading and sense . I need to slow down and read things with less haste , but long days and few breaks make me rush a bit.
I traded my 16 TB in as I felt it was time , the bike was faultless and a great riding companion and gave me endless days of fun and smiles , it was the new bike that made me look again at my situation.
I have many issues , new engines , clutches etc as I seem to expect too much out of the 1200 , so decided that the 1250 was the only option.
I have tried all bikes but the GS just seems to be the "air under my riding wings" god that sounds bad but its the truth .
I agree about the title as well as I had posted before about the pointlessness of the drag race .
Any way , glad I haven't pissed you off as I have a habit of doing that ask Arsey , Otto and Nutty . But don't tell them KTMs are crap...shhhhhhhhhhhh

I don't know what kind of rider you are or if you do a lot of trackdays or worked yourself up the ladder to the few others look up to running fast a group pace but I can tell you if you are on a GS on twisty and less than perfect paved roads like the roads we ride on most of the time and you don't stay ahead of the sportiest hardware aka superbikes it is not the GS' fault...;)

Morety your commends about how a top-heavy beast like a Explorer 1200 better handling than your GSA or that a GS/GSA is not a performance bike made me laugh...I don't know what kind of rider you are or if you do a lot of trackdays or worked yourself up the ladder to the few others look up to running fast a group pace but I can tell you if you are on a GS on twisty and less than perfect paved roads like the roads we ride on most of the time and you don't stay ahead of the sportiest hardware aka superbikes it is not the GS' fault...;) On a track things are of course different...long straights,faster turns,smooth pavement.
And in a perfect world the new GS would have been a 1300 with 150hp/143nm,17" wheels 220 Kg wet...:D
But the world is everything but perfect...it's only as good as it gets...enjoy the new 1250 fellas :thumb2
I hope I get to test-ride on soon...and look forward to EICMA to see the new GSA and S1000RR :thumby:
And of course the factory effort of the british-german team with Tom Sykes & Markus Reiterberger running the all new S1000RR in WSBK 2019...:beerjug:

There speaks someone who has obviously never ridden an Explorer! YES IT WAS BETTER HANDLING...get over it! (at faster speeds on smooth surfaces anyway). You are right about one thing though...you really don't know what sort of a rider I am. Your whole response made me laugh! :hippy Could you have been more condescending if you'd really tried?

Morety or is you real name Monty I don't know what you smoke in your pipe but it must be good stuff calling a Explorer 1200 better handling...that is funny :D
We should ride together...once:D

Back
Top Bottom