Ride Magazine Reviews

Rasher

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have noticed a pattern with the Ride Magazine group adventure bike tests after reading this months group test (which was very much like the one they did in spring)

The KTM is always said to be fast, which somehow is bad, as they seem to struggle to understand the throttle does not have to be at 100% all the time. It also means they love the GS as it is pretty slow and steady even at 100% throttle.

The conclusion always seems to be all the other bikes may be faster, lighter, better handling, more fun, but overall the slowest, heaviest, least exciting, worst handling and most expensive bike wins the test.

I think KTM could do a lot to help themselves by improving the standard seat, but I do hope they don't read these tests and decide to make our beloved KTM's heavier, slower, worse handling and no fun in a bid to topple the GS.

I have noticed a pattern with the Ride Magazine group adventure bike tests after reading this months group test (which was very much like the one they did in spring)

The KTM is always said to be fast, which somehow is bad, as they seem to struggle to understand the throttle does not have to be at 100% all the time. It also means they love the GS as it is pretty slow and steady even at 100% throttle.

The conclusion always seems to be all the other bikes may be faster, lighter, better handling, more fun, but overall the slowest, heaviest, least exciting, worst handling and most expensive bike wins the test.

I think KTM could do a lot to help themselves by improving the standard seat, but I do hope they don't read these tests and decide to make our beloved KTM's heavier, slower, worse handling and no fun in a bid to topple the GS.

Inclined to agree. They say the 1290 isn't comfortabubble. Egh?? You might be right in that they're on the standard seats...if so, they have to review it as it stands I guess. But my backside will confirm for you (or it would if it could type...however that's not going to happen so he's asked me to do the typing) that with the power parts seat, he's been happier on the 1290 on a long journey than he's ever been, on any bike, period. So it's a little frustrating to read the GS is the most comfortable...but it may well have been on standard seats. Just to make a point I would always take the Airhawk on longer journeys as 4 or 5 hours would become an issue. The 1290 S - took it to Spain with me, 7 days, didn't need it once. Says it all for me.

I think they have it pretty correct when they say that the sum of all the GS parts adds up to one of, if not the best adv bikes you can buy. I loved my 14 plate bike and good memories were made. No issues with my bike though (apart from early fork seal replacement) and that can make a real difference.

As I've said before on here though, the 1290 makes each ride exciting. Exciting in a way that the GSA couldn't match. So every time I went to the garage the Orange bike came out. I'm not sure they'll easily fix that issue for me. Will see what the 1250 offers.

The fact is that the GS is a more rounded bike. It will do most things better than a KTM, but not all. To any normal person looking objectively, it's the better bike. I ride with them regularly, they are not slow.

I have no plans to go back to one though :D

I think most bike tests are written to a template. They all seem to have a certain inevitability and pattern to them. How come they all take up the same amount of space? JJH

Back
Top Bottom