Memory Help

Mikey

well just a little twisted
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've got an Asus desk top running windows 10 with a 1Tb hard drive. It suddenly sprouts a message telling me it's got low memory. When I looked I was surprised to find the drive is partitioned. It has 150Gb and 850Gb sections.

Is there anyway around this?

I suspect it's telling you there's not sufficient RAM for something that you're trying to do on it. HD space is usually referred to as storage.

Go into bios -

Press and hold F2 or F8 when booting the machine from cold

one of the tabs will tell you how much memory you have / can expand too.

or go to crucial memory's website and download the memory checker app

it will examine your system and tell you what you have / need / can expand too.

It will also give you the secs of Ram you can fit - then go to www.novatech.co.uk and see what they charge for the same memory

I Imagine youhave got about 4GB of RAM so video below should walk you through, if the video does not crash due to low memory.

I don't think it's the RAM, of the 150Gb partition there's only about 4Gig left. The other partition is empty.

Sounds like all your files are on the small C:/partition.

Move all your files (docs,pics.vids) to a folder on the 850gb partition as a first move.

Unfortunately - with windows updates, the 150gb will still probably get filled up in time.

Could prob do with flushing out temp internet files also

Strange and unhelpful partitioning seems to be common nowadays. I recently inherited a machine with a 1TB drive split into 150GB for the C: drive, then an OEM partition then the rest for D:. This article https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/win...l-data-folders-in-windows-vista-the-easy-way/ gives help on moving stuff to the D: drive without messing with partitions. It worked on the machine I'm typing this on which has a tiny SSD for c: and a mega regular drive for D; but on OEM crap software in between.

Strange and unhelpful partitioning seems to be common nowadays. I recently inherited a machine with a 1TB drive split into 150GB for the C: drive, then an OEM partition then the rest for D:. This article https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/win...l-data-folders-in-windows-vista-the-easy-way/ gives help on moving stuff to the D: drive without messing with partitions. It worked on the machine I'm typing this on which has a tiny SSD for c: and a mega regular drive for D; but on OEM crap software in between.

Think it’s all to do with the creation of a Recovery Partition. I had a Lenovo with that, which I further partitioned - leaving insufficient comfort-room on the C:/partition. Couldn’t increase the size sufficiently after that. :blast

Think it’s all to do with the creation of a Recovery Partition. I had a Lenovo with that, which I further partitioned - leaving insufficient comfort-room on the C:/partition. Couldn’t increase the size sufficiently after that. :blast

yep you have to be really careful that if you have the recovery OS software on another partion, and if you overwrite it, you are screwed, either buy a new OS in case of a bluescreen, or buy the OS recovery disk from Lenovo or Asus etc.

The first machine I mentioned in my previous post was an Asus with three partitions, the OEM one being in the middle. I downloaded a windows 10 iso image from Microsoft at https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10 , put it onto a bootable USB stick with Rufus (Microsoft have a similar utility) then booted from the USB stick. The Win10 installer starts with a partition manager so I deleted every partition on the disc then created one new one. Not only will that make using the machine easier, it removes the bloatware and adverts preinstalled by Asus. it's not viable if the OP has paid-for software he can't re-install or data that can't easily be backed up but for getting a second-hand computer back into shape it works well.

I'm going to try moving programs and if that doesn't work ill try to resize the partitions.

I'm going to try moving programs and if that doesn't work ill try to resize the partitions.

Don’t move programs. Start with docs, vids, music, etc. Moving programs without mods to the registry - means they won’t work.

Don’t move programs. Start with docs, vids, music, etc. Moving programs without mods to the registry - means they won’t work.
Dead right. Move data such as photos, music, videos and documents first. If you use DropBox, OneDrive or the like then search how to move their data storage to your D: drive. After that, use the Windows disc cleanup (right-click the drive then left-click Properties from the drop-down list). Include the option to clear system files.

If you're a Garmin Express user look in C:\ProgramData\Garmin\CoreServices\Downloads\Maps to get rid of needless archive copies of maps. Also, make Garmin Express save your maps to the D: drive.

It’s been a long time since I built a computer. I seem to remember that resizeing the partissions looses all the data? I haven’t been doing any computer stuff since windows 95. I just lost interest. I think working on bikes is more interesting. For better or worse. JJH

Back
Top Bottom