Bit of advice please - best soft panniers

Mark Hooton

Cymarcbikeparts
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Guys(Gals & Others :D),

If any one has any experience or advice to offer I`d be very keen (and thankful) to consider it.

I`ve the `standard` exhaust on my GS, which soft luggage would be the best? Yes there`s Kriega :bow and Ortlieb :bow and everyone else who makes great kit :bow but I have a concern about the hot zorst touching the panniers :eek:

Anybody got any good advice based on experience please?

Fanks :thumb

Mark my mate has these on his 2018 GS and I have seen them, and no chance of the pipe burning these with the steel plate that is really well done, that holds them onto the rails.

http://shop.bumot.eu/en/catalog/id/118.html

Sounds great, thanks for the reply, can you just confirm that your mate has the GS and not the GSA? It`s just the reference to "the rails".................

I use the MoskoMoto reckless 80 which fits nicely over the GS pannier frames, and with your exhaust plate thingy attached have had no problems at all with heat transfer to the bags - with either an Akro or standard silencer.

I use the MoskoMoto reckless 80 which fits nicely over the GS pannier frames, and with your exhaust plate thingy attached have had no problems at all with heat transfer to the bags - with either an Akro or standard silencer.

Got that pal, thanks, but I don`t have the pannier frames on my GS.

They come with an exhaust heat shield that works well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Atacama, good as it is, uses the pannier rails

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

These are supposed to be excellent. I have a pair but not used them yet.

They seem extremely rugged and well designed. Will be using them next year for a trip to Spain on the TET.

The Magadans are indeed excellent. I've had mine since 2013 and they've been round Europe several times, the USA and as far as Mongolia. They've survived several crashes and are still in one piece and waterproof. You do need pannier frames though to mount them. Perfect for the Spannish TET and more.

Mark my mate has these on his 2018 GS and I have seen them, and no chance of the pipe burning these with the steel plate that is really well done, that holds them onto the rails.

http://shop.bumot.eu/en/catalog/id/118.html

I have recently bought a set of the Bumot Xtremada bags for my GSA. I have been using them as commuting panniers as an alternative to the BMW boxes. There are pluses and minuses and I'll start with the minuses. First these bags are not in any way waterproof and part of the reason for that is the poor design of the flap tops which allows water to sit in the creases and leak through into the inside of the bags. You definitely need the inner bags if you want to keep anything dry and that leads to the next issue. The inner bags are not shaped in any way to match the outer bags so loading them with anything bulky is infuriatingly difficult. My work rucksack fits perfectly into the nearside outer bag but with the inner bag in place its next to impossible to squeeze it in. IMHO the Xtremada bags are poorly designed in this respect. The top flaps could easily have an additional cover over them to stop water collecting and some kind of inner waterproof liner could have been stitched inside the outer bag and then these bags would be far more usable. The last minus is that the carrying handles are thin and poorly positioned. These bags are not designed to be removed from the bike to carry into a hotel

On the plus side the Xtremada bags are well shaped to avoid the exhaust and at least for the GSA fit the OEM pannier frame so that swapping with the OEM boxes is easy. Another plus point is that they can be locked onto the pannier frame unlike the Atacama bags which need a locking strap. The Xtremada bags are of course smaller in capacity than the OEM boxes but when fully packed they are a useful 100mm narrower which is why I use them for commuting. Also they're substantially cheaper than the Atacama bags and about half the price of the equivalent Bumot hard boxes. On that basis I guess you get what you pay for but I rather regret not getting the Atacama bags which look to be a better design

I bought the Bmw Alacama bags which are more than excellent & fitted some used GSA racks to my Gs Rallye, but I guess frames to you is just a couple of hours making something to attach them to, poss better than the GSA frames I now use.

In all honesty I don’t like the buckles but they’re the same buckles on my other bags which I also hate

Back
Top Bottom