I said I wouldn't do it...

Morety

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
...I said I'd never own one of those GS thingies. Whoops!

After 35 years on 2 wheels riding everything from vintage Ducatis, Guzzis, early 'blades, Kwackers, Triumphs, BMW R650 and an R100RT, sports tourers of one sort or other, hooligan bikes like the KTM Duke, a couple of Aprilia RSVRs, Harleys (Mea Culpa) and latterly a Triumph Explorer XCA, I finally took the plunge after a test ride.

I wouldn't have minded but I was only in to pick my Explorer up after a service and seem to have left with a BMW:blast

Truth is, I had completed a tour of North Wales on the Explorer which I only owned for a few months. I loved the bonkers motor and the planted, sure footed handling (even to the GS) but I couldn't live with the top heavy handling at low speed, especially being a 5'8" shorty pants. Nearly dropped the thing several times and it took two of us to drag it out of a deep gravel car park. Got home with strained arms and sore back and thought "that's it, it's got to go".

Enter the GSA in racing red, 2016 vintage with 15K miles on the clock. Just out of warranty but looked well up together and rode well.

There is a gulf of difference between it and the Explorer. The latter feels more stable and planted, more like a serious sports tourer on rails which can genuinely keep up with sports bikes thanks to that peachy and powerful 1200cc triple lump. Trouble is that same lump is too high for the riders' own good. The GSA by comparison felt like a middle-weight and seemed a doddle to handle at low speed. My 32 inch inseam is a little short for the bike's low seat setting of 34 inches though!

Glad I bought the Adventure over the standard bike as all the toys are spec'd up already and I would have only added crash bars etc on the GS anyway bringing the weights closer together.

Will be posting a few questions in the forum...please have patience with a newbee as you've probably already heard the questions before!

Hi & welcome. I got rid of my Explorer for the same reasons. Same height, same leg measurement.

I tried a GS but didn't like it that much - already have an R1200RS which in my view is the best boxer and also more user friendly for the shortarsed.

I replaced the Explorer with a S1000XR with factory lowered suspension which is great fun but more tiring to ride than the RS as you have to concentrate a lot harder as the world blurs past.

I'm just up the road in Cheltenham so maybe see you around.

...I said I'd never own one of those GS thingies. Whoops!

After 35 years on 2 wheels riding everything from vintage Ducatis, Guzzis, early 'blades, Kwackers, Triumphs, BMW R650 and an R100RT, sports tourers of one sort or other, hooligan bikes like the KTM Duke, a couple of Aprilia RSVRs, Harleys (Mea Culpa) and latterly a Triumph Explorer XCA, I finally took the plunge after a test ride.

I wouldn't have minded but I was only in to pick my Explorer up after a service and seem to have left with a BMW:blast

Truth is, I had completed a tour of North Wales on the Explorer which I only owned for a few months. I loved the bonkers motor and the planted, sure footed handling (even to the GS) but I couldn't live with the top heavy handling at low speed, especially being a 5'8" shorty pants. Nearly dropped the thing several times and it took two of us to drag it out of a deep gravel car park. Got home with strained arms and sore back and thought "that's it, it's got to go".

Enter the GSA in racing red, 2016 vintage with 15K miles on the clock. Just out of warranty but looked well up together and rode well.

There is a gulf of difference between it and the Explorer. The latter feels more stable and planted, more like a serious sports tourer on rails which can genuinely keep up with sports bikes thanks to that peachy and powerful 1200cc triple lump. Trouble is that same lump is too high for the riders' own good. The GSA by comparison felt like a middle-weight and seemed a doddle to handle at low speed. My 32 inch inseam is a little short for the bike's low seat setting of 34 inches though!

Glad I bought the Adventure over the standard bike as all the toys are spec'd up already and I would have only added crash bars etc on the GS anyway bringing the weights closer together.

Will be posting a few questions in the forum...please have patience with a newbee as you've probably already heard the questions before!

How do you touch the ground then? I'm 5ft 8, but am on tippy toes on a standard bike, or have you bought a lowered one?

How do you touch the ground then? I'm 5ft 8, but am on tippy toes on a standard bike, or have you bought a lowered one?

Hi

No. I have longish legs for my height (was taller but had spinal problems and lost an inch or two off my height...you couldn't make it up. The result of a spinal disease in my teens followed by a couple of serious accidents). Just re-measured and I'm almost bang on 32 inches inside leg to ground in socks. No problem tippy toeing it with the standard GSA seat set to low position but I have to slide partially off the seat to flat foot it on one side which you sort of get used to.

Hi & welcome. I got rid of my Explorer for the same reasons. Same height, same leg measurement.

I tried a GS but didn't like it that much - already have an R1200RS which in my view is the best boxer and also more user friendly for the shortarsed.

I replaced the Explorer with a S1000XR with factory lowered suspension which is great fun but more tiring to ride than the RS as you have to concentrate a lot harder as the world blurs past.

I'm just up the road in Cheltenham so maybe see you around.

I much preferred the GSA to the standard 2015 GS I tried. Due to the extra degree for the steering head angle it felt less flighty to me plus the model I had was a later one than the GS I tried and I am told has a heavier flywheel or crank. It just felt a little more stable and planted, which made it easier to ride (less concentration needed than the slightly more flighty GS). Overall, the RT was the bike which had almost the perfect riding position for me but I just didn't gel with the looks or styling but appreciate it's also a very popular choice. I found the RS a little too sport oriented (been there, done that, got several Tee shirts!) and not as relaxing a riding experience. It's all a personal thing though.

Happy to meet up. Like to go out year round for rides into Wales on the odd weekends :beerjug:

one of my favourite lunch stops in mid Wales - Castle chippy in Talgarth - was there on Saturday, plus a little cottage on the Wye at Glasbury

Attachments

• 2018-10-20 12.52.20.jpg
    2018-10-20 12.52.20.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 237
  • 2018-10-20 12.27.18.jpg
    2018-10-20 12.27.18.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 243
one of my favourite lunch stops in mid Wales - Castle chippy in Talgarth - was there on Saturday, plus a little cottage on the Wye at Glasbury

That looks seriously lowered Wessie; do you have any groud clearance problems; and i would imagine you have a slight bend in the knees when flatfooting it.

That looks seriously lowered Wessie; do you have any groud clearance problems; and i would imagine you have a slight bend in the knees when flatfooting it.

it is the factory lowered version - no ground clearance problems but the pegs are further off the ground than my RS which has lowered pegs - I often scrape my boot on that. As you can see, I haven't found the edge of the tyre yet. It is nice to know I am going to find the floor, even on a slope. I have had an R1150GS, Super Ten and Explorer in the past and could flat foot those, just, but a few comedy moments on steeply cambered roads.

it is the factory lowered version - no ground clearance problems but the pegs are further off the ground than my RS which has lowered pegs - I often scrape my boot on that. As you can see, I haven't found the edge of the tyre yet. It is nice to know I am going to find the floor, even on a slope. I have had an R1150GS, Super Ten and Explorer in the past and could flat foot those, just, but a few comedy moments on steeply cambered roads.

Been there with the comedy moment; pulled to the side of a small rd on IOM to let a tractor past; left foot down on the slope and we were in the ditch:D. You've not done bad flat footing the 1150; and the S10, i've been on both of those and i could'nt quite make it; i'am 5/9.:beerjug:

Been there with the comedy moment; pulled to the side of a small rd on IOM to let a tractor past; left foot down on the slope and we were in the ditch:D. You've not done bad flat footing the 1150; and the S10, i've been on both of those and i could'nt quite make it; i'am 5/9.:beerjug:

I'm only 5'8" but have a 32" inseam - pisses off Gyp as he is taller than me but has 29" inseam :)

I've started to develop arthritis in my hip so I need to have bikes that I know I can get a foot down on both sides in most situations.

I'm only 5'8" but have a 32" inseam - pisses off Gyp as he is taller than me but has 29" inseam :)

I've started to develop arthritis in my hip so I need to have bikes that I know I can get a foot down on both sides in most situations.

Same as me...down to the hip issue!

Back
Top Bottom