Loose Spoke recall

Any one who doesn’t notice that their spokes are loose enough for the wheel to collapse shouldn’t be riding a push bike let alone a motorcycle! Or just maybe it was really the caliper - it had been worked on prior to the accident?

Many on here would not have even checked their spokes, and you also had this not got as far as it has, and we can see clearly now this was not a caliper problem, it was a spoke problem, take your blinkers off.

Many on here would not have even checked their spokes, and you also had this not got as far as it has, and we can see clearly now this was not a caliper problem, it was a spoke problem, take your blinkers off.

In that particular case you don’t actually know that for a fact, it may or may not have been.

How many spokes loose vs calipers falling off, FFS wake up.

Stop being a muppet - of course there has been lots of loose spokes BUT the cause in that particular case is unknown, it may or may not be connected, the root cause was never clearly determined and there was clear evidence that the caliper had been worked on prior to the incident. Jumping to conclusions is never wise.

Stop being a muppet - of course there has been lots of loose spokes BUT the cause in that particular case is unknown, it may or may not be connected, the root cause was never clearly determined and there was clear evidence that the caliper had been worked on prior to the incident. Jumping to conclusions is never wise.

Well I aint no Engineer, but I think you should do a name change.

He's no Engineer full stop judging by the bollocks he usually comes out with :)

How 'loose' would the spokes have to be before they contact the caliper? My guess is the rim would cause rear movement and the bike weaving before there was sufficient flex for the spokes to contact the caliper - I still don't believe the spokes ripped the caliper off.

What's your opinion?

I can tell you what the cause is. Cost cutting.

How 'loose' would the spokes have to be before they contact the caliper? My guess is the rim would cause rear movement and the bike weaving before there was sufficient flex for the spokes to contact the caliper - I still don't believe the spokes ripped the caliper off.

What's your opinion?

As strange as it sounds and is only my opinion, given the bike was quite loaded down, enough spokes loose caused the wheel to collapse, and it was the wheel collapsing that ripped off the caliper.

Nope - the cause is quality control at the wheel manufacturer - looks like a number of wheels got through the net, hopefully that net has now been sewn up and will now catch errant spokes.

Maybe so, but the dealers are being tight lipped about the full details. Doesn’t instil confidence.

Maybe so, but the dealers are being tight lipped about the full details. Doesn’t instil confidence.

Are they ‘tight lipped’ ? Dunno but I doubt BMW would let dealers into all of the details as gossip soon gets out of hand. Looking at the bikes that have been affected one might reason that the problem started early in 2018.

Are they ‘tight lipped’ ? Dunno but I doubt BMW would let dealers into all of the details as gossip soon gets out of hand. Looking at the bikes that have been affected one might reason that the problem started early in 2018.

If BMW tell the dealers that they’ve changed the tooling, so that it won’t happen again, then they can tell their customers, and potential customers. All this hush hush nonsense doesn’t make me want to rush back, tbh.

If BMW tell the dealers that they’ve changed the tooling, so that it won’t happen again, then they can tell their customers, and potential customers. All this hush hush nonsense doesn’t make me want to rush back, tbh.

I must have missed the hush-hush stuff, my dealer said my bike had a couple of loose spokes and that it was save to ride until they replaced my rear wheel a week later - there was no secrecy.

I must have missed the hush-hush stuff, my dealer said my bike had a couple of loose spokes and that it was save to ride until they replaced my rear wheel a week later - there was no secrecy.

There’s no secrecy when it comes to replacing wheels, but dealers aren’t being told (or at least aren’t letting on that they’re being told) if the issue has been resolved at the factory, moving forward.

There’s no secrecy when it comes to replacing wheels, but dealers aren’t being told (or at least aren’t letting on that they’re being told) if the issue has been resolved at the factory, moving forward.

Does it matter? If you buy a new bike it will be checked before you get it.

Sorry if already posted. I was at the dealer this weekend and the service manager told me that the policy (here, at least) was to tighten spokes if there were 6 or less loose, and to replace the wheel if there are 7 or more loose.

If I had a bike under warranty with 6 loose spokes, I would turn it into a bike under warranty with 7 loose spokes with a quickness before I went to the dealer.

Does it matter? If you buy a new bike it will be checked before you get it.

Yes, it does. How many looses spokes have been detected before delivery? All of the issues are on customers bikes, so it would be good to know that it’s been sorted. :blast

I’ll be honest now. I popped to my BMW dealer to have a look at the bikes over the last couple of weekends, as I’m about to place an order for a new bike this week. I quite like the look of the Rallye in the flesh, and the price actually works out slightly cheaper than the 1290S, as I’ll be making some modifications before delivery, but I just don’t have any confidence in BMW’s quality control.

If the dealer said “BMW has identified the issue, and has put XYZ quality control in place to make sure the issue doesn’t happen in future”, I would have been closer to doing a deal. But the shoulder shrugging just doesn’t make me want to return.

Back
Top Bottom