Loose Spoke recall

Not sure why road riders buy bikes with spoked wheels, maybe it's because unlike the GS the GSA doesn't have the option of cast wheels?

I might have gone for cast wheels on Rallye TE if they were an option, not likely to do any serious off roading on it and much easier to clean....

I took my Bike in for its first 700 mile oil change and I asked about the spokes. I was told that my bike was not amongst the affected batch. Could be just Bullshit or maybe they know what the issue was and which bikes will have been affected ?

Cheers,

Piggers

Looks like BMW have released dates of affected bike build dates. It appears to affect bikes built between February and June 2018 https://motorbikewriter.com/crash-prompts-bmw-spoked-wheel-probe/

Won’t stop me routinely checking my July 2018 built bike.

Reading the linked story, the affected bike was a -16, which is not part of the batch mentioned in the BMW bulletin. Further it says that the rider had the spokes checked by the dealer at 3000 km, and the crash happened 2500 km later. For the spokes to be loose this close after a check makes one suspect if the dealer caused the problem during the check? If they unscrewed the grubscrews, did they reapply locktight, as prescribed in the manual? This is speculations only, but honestly, for the wheel to collapse the spokes have to be really loose, and lots of them...

Reading the linked story, the affected bike was a -16, which is not part of the batch mentioned in the BMW bulletin. Further it says that the rider had the spokes checked by the dealer at 3000 km, and the crash happened 2500 km later. For the spokes to be loose this close after a check makes one suspect if the dealer caused the problem during the check? If they unscrewed the grubscrews, did they reapply locktight, as prescribed in the manual? This is speculations only, but honestly, for the wheel to collapse the spokes have to be really loose, and lots of them...
The RSD Manual does not have an instruction to apply locktight, granted it may hold the nipple in place however you would not be able to set the correct torque again unless you removed the everything from the threads.

The RSD Manual does not have an instruction to apply locktight, granted it may hold the nipple in place however you would not be able to set the correct torque again unless you removed the everything from the threads.

In BMWs manual it specifies "Thread locking compound". Torque is 2Nm, and, as you say, that is a useless number if old stuff is not removed. You are then left with two alternatives:

- Warm up the screw assembly which will soften the locktight.

- Shitcan the torque wrench and eyeball the torque.

I love my spokes...it started with a chopper...the pedal variety :D

I love my spokes...it started with a chopper...the pedal variety :D

I could'nt afford a Chopper, I had a Tomahawk.... which nearly killed me, it needed a steering damper !!

I could'nt afford a Chopper, I had a Tomahawk.... which nearly killed me, it needed a steering damper !!

tomahawk was half the size of the chopper no wonder you had handling issues,should have started with the chipper first

tomahawk was half the size of the chopper no wonder you had handling issues,should have started with the chipper first

You're about 40 years too late with that advice

Or just dump those wheels and switch over to alloy wheels like I've done.

Easier to clean, much less maintenance, lighter and much safer for road use.

Get alloy wheelsets off eBay for around £600.

Spoked wheel are much more stronger and safer than alloy, and almost always bring to home, but need to be perfect geometry, close to theoretical zero, and all spokes tightened to full working force at the same time, and of course, need periodical maintenance. IMO, present wheel, the same on 1250, is near to overload and because that need to be like I said, perfect. The same construction dated back from GS 100, smaller wheel, less power, BMW decreased tension force and increased ronout at the same time, and we have what we have. GLM wheel has better shape than Behr, but maybe Chinese workforce can not do properly, but problems with BMW wheels started with model 1.2, much much better were been on models 1100/1150, practically the same wheel. Woody"s or my, etc. are durable for a long mileage and expense is lower than used alloy.

Back
Top Bottom