GS or 1290? Takes some thinking about....well maybe.

Apex

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Youtube has needed a clip like this for ages. Well done that man. :thumby:

I particularly like the way he changes down 3 gears whilst doing a stoppie :D

GS 1250 ridden. 2 1/2hrs inc 5 min stop for fuel.

I'll write a bit on the GS side as that's fair.

From the Orange side of this site though.....I think I'll be sticking with the 1290. The new GS engine is terrific, very good indeed, but I still think it lacks the excitement the KTM offers.

GS 1250 ridden. 2 1/2hrs inc 5 min stop for fuel.

I'll write a bit on the GS side as that's fair.

From the Orange side of this site though.....I think I'll be sticking with the 1290. The new GS engine is terrific, very good indeed, but I still think it lacks the excitement the KTM offers.

I’ll look forward to your review :thumb

Check out 6:25 where you can see even when doing a huge stoppie the forks don't move much, explains why I found the demo bike rock hard compared to my 1090 / 1190.

Check out 6:25 where you can see even when doing a huge stoppie the forks don't move much, explains why I found the demo bike rock hard compared to my 1090 / 1190.

You can't compare the S with those bikes though. It has electronic suspension that knows you're braking and prevents too much fork dive.
If you stick the bike in comfort mode it's very....comfortable! If a bit bouncy.

I have to confess, when I got off my GSA and rode the demo at Premier, I though it was a very firm ride. But what I didn't realise is that the GSA was the problem. Old slippers. 'For me', the 1290S suspension is better set up than the 1200 and 1250 GS and I quite often put the suspension in sport mode and leave it there.

when I got off my GSA and rode the demo at Premier, I though it was a very firm ride. But what I didn't realise is that the GSA was the problem. Old slippers.

Definitely an element of this in my case, as the 1190 forks are very soft, but the 1090 ones are spot-on, best adventure front end I have come across (for road use) being firm, yet compliant.

The "Anti-Dive" effect of the Semi Active Suspension is a great idea, but it should not lock the forks solid before half of the travel is used, same problem here as the shit ABS systems of the 80's (That every suspension expert bypassed and soon after manufacturers abandoned) it just makes the forks harsh and when they do hit a bump under braking they have no "give" so are actually much worse than conventional suspension.

A good quality conventional WP shock would be much better - but BMW (and others) are using semi-active technology so KTM have to be seen to be at the cutting edge of bike tech - regardless of if it is any better, or even if it is much worse.

I suspect in some areas it is a lot better, but I found even the comfort mode harsh, especially at the front with the forks feeling harsher than my 1190 in sport or the 1090 in its wonderful non-adjustable perfection mode. The 1090 forks and 1190 shock in street would be my ideal set-up, firm yet compliant with both control and comfort.

Having said all that it won't stop me buying one if they have a winter sale, I just wish they had fitted better quality standard suspension, or did a bit more development and maybe more importantly allowed the settings to be adjusted to peoples personal taste, what you need is the ability to go a "click or two" softer or harder in each mode, and with semi active suspension also be able to tweak the level of electronic interference - would not be difficult, just a few lines of computer code.

Definitely an element of this in my case, as the 1190 forks are very soft, but the 1090 ones are spot-on, best adventure front end I have come across (for road use) being firm, yet compliant.

The "Anti-Dive" effect of the Semi Active Suspension is a great idea, but it should not lock the forks solid before half of the travel is used, same problem here as the shit ABS systems of the 80's (That every suspension expert bypassed and soon after manufacturers abandoned) it just makes the forks harsh and when they do hit a bump under braking they have no "give" so are actually much worse than conventional suspension.

A good quality conventional WP shock would be much better - but BMW (and others) are using semi-active technology so KTM have to be seen to be at the cutting edge of bike tech - regardless of if it is any better, or even if it is much worse.

I suspect in some areas it is a lot better, but I found even the comfort mode harsh, especially at the front with the forks feeling harsher than my 1190 in sport or the 1090 in its wonderful non-adjustable perfection mode. The 1090 forks and 1190 shock in street would be my ideal set-up, firm yet compliant with both control and comfort.

Having said all that it won't stop me buying one if they have a winter sale, I just wish they had fitted better quality standard suspension, or did a bit more development and maybe more importantly allowed the settings to be adjusted to peoples personal taste, what you need is the ability to go a "click or two" softer or harder in each mode, and with semi active suspension also be able to tweak the level of electronic interference - would not be difficult, just a few lines of computer code.

I really wouldn’t let the suspension on the 1290 put you off buying one!! It’s a very good setup.

I’m with you though, the non-auto WP setup on my old 990SMT was brilliant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really wouldn’t let the suspension on the 1290 put you off buying one!! It’s a very good setup.

I’m with you though, the non-auto WP setup on my old 990SMT was brilliant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find the suspension on my 1290S much more comfortable than the sport suspension on my Rallye.

I find the suspension on my 1290S much more comfortable than the sport suspension on my Rallye.

No issues for me with the suspension on my 1290 SAS - find it nice and compliant and seamed to get more compliant as it got a few more miles on it. Not sure if it beds in a bit or the semi active bit evolves.

Cheers guys, nice to know in the "real world" people coming off 1190's seem happy enough.

To me it feels more sports-tourer than Adventure-Sports so worst case will be better for about 50% of my riding anyway, just waiting to see what deals on new bikes turn up once the good folk at KTM notice they have a stack of unsold bikes and nobody wants to buy them in the middle of winter.

Cheers guys, nice to know in the "real world" people coming off 1190's seem happy enough.

To me it feels more sports-tourer than Adventure-Sports so worst case will be better for about 50% of my riding anyway, just waiting to see what deals on new bikes turn up once the good folk at KTM notice they have a stack of unsold bikes and nobody wants to buy them in the middle of winter.

Someone on AdvRider fitted a hyperpro rear shock to his SAS, and was raving about it. Not an expensive upgrade either.

I have a Hyperpro spring on the back EDS shock on my 1190S. It's progressively wound rather than straight like the standard spring, sits the bike lower when sat on it as the sag is better for my (light)weight but stiff enough for spirited 2-up riding.

Back
Top Bottom