Strange issue with ST1100

Bryn

Mod Squad
Reaction score
2000W ST1100... Runs great 99% of the time.. But twice in the last 2 weeks on my morning commute it suddenly feels like the brakes are on ( they're not) opening the throttle it accelerates but feels like it's being pulled back :confused:

Probably only lasts a few hundred meters then it's back to normal, and has only done it once on two mornings..

Only common denominator is the air temperature is in single figures. It was fine again on afternoon journeys home..

Thought about carb icing, but it never happened with my 'work bikes' which were out in all weathers and temperatures a few years back (1995 and 2002 ST1100's)

Any ideas please? :thumb2

I had a similar problem a long time ago on a Deauville. Sudden loss of power having to open throttle very wide to get anywhare. Problem would then disapear. Turned out that the twistgrip rubber was loose. I was ineverntly tightening my grip and that was 'fixing' it. JJH

Thanks for the replies...

Grips are not loose

Not sure if the diaphragms etc are in good order...I'll go with the easiest check first...

Schtum ..read the link and I'll see how it goes as the temperature drops...funnily enough both times it has cleared after a short stop at traffic lights, which kind of points to icing.

Not got a blocked fuel cap vent, checked that and the tank wasn't under vacuum ...

May stick some decent fuel in such as nitro + etc.

:beerjug:

Could it be the traction control kicking in?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I'd usually start with a realatively cheap and easy fix - new plugs (and possibly new plug caps) just to be fairly sure that it doesn't all stem from there.

I had a K75 and when I used it in the Winter with the heated grips on they got so hot that the throttle handgrip became loose due to the glue softening resulting in the same symptoms.

Thanks for the suggestions chaps.. I'm going to try a tank of Nitro+ to start with, then go to things like plugs if it doesn't sort it....it does seem to be pointing to carb icing as its so infrequent..

I'll help an eye on the hot grips :thumb2

One of the ST100 classic problems was sticking brake calipers due to hidden corrosion, but seems like you have checked that already.

Otherwise, are the rubber vacuum bungs/caps on the inlets (carb balancing) starting to crack up? Probably worth cleaning the carbs anyway, given the problems some bikes suffer from modern fuels.

One of the ST100 classic problems was sticking brake calipers due to hidden corrosion, but seems like you have checked that already.

Otherwise, are the rubber vacuum bungs/caps on the inlets (carb balancing) starting to crack up? Probably worth cleaning the carbs anyway, given the problems some bikes suffer from modern fuels.

Thanks for the suggestion. :thumb

Could it be a failing rubber brake hose as that can cause sticky brakes?

Could it be a failing rubber brake hose as that can cause sticky brakes?

I think he's decided its not brakes and you do get telltale heat n smell if they start sticking...

I jump on mine n ride off with the choke on slightly but that stays on for a v short time... Sometimes if wanting too much too soon it'll baulk but not very often... I'm amaze for a big engine on carbs that it behaves so well... Perhaps yours is not run in yet...����

Back
Top Bottom