Just bought a cheap 690 enduro

mikeyboy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Overland and classic,vale of belvoir,Melton Mowbra
Hi all,
I’ve just bought a repaired cat D 690 off eBay,
It’s a 2008 with just over 10 k on the clock
Price was right so I’m collecting tomorrow.
Couldn’t have bought a decent 525 for the same cash
Cmon then,doom and gloom stories,
Mods to be done?:green gri

Wiring loom issues on older ones. Apart from that. Good bikes.
Easy to mod. Mapping can be done though tune ecu(with a cable off ebay) if adding filters and akrapovic. Taller suspension on the first ones (a bonus)

Enjoy... sure you will:thumb

Wiring loom issues on older ones. Apart from that. Good bikes.
Easy to mod. Mapping can be done though tune ecu(with a cable off ebay) if adding filters and akrapovic. Taller suspension on the first ones (a bonus)

Enjoy... sure you will:thumb
A mate had one that kept spitting back and blowing the throttle body off,
Any info for a fix,other than big fuckoff jubilee clips,
Seem to remember a software upgrade but have no info as to it fixed it

Rocker arm bearings worth checking. Found the following after a short Google search. A pal of mine had his done under warranty a few years ago now.

There are two failure reasons:

1. Worn bearing usually the exhaust rocker first as it has a bumpy ride with the decompressor pin on the exhaust cam lobe. Varying mileage. Just keep an eye on valve clearances, a large difference between clearances at service interval shows wear point is critical.

2. Bearing axle pin comes loose - caused by manufacturing process not retaining pin securely, if not found in time it can migrate far enough to allow one end to take all the load and the casting of the rocker fractures and lets everything fly loose in the engine. Varying mileage. Check pin security each service, not fail safe as they can go in a very short space of time.

NOTE: At the moment best option is fit rockers with "15" casting marks.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Rocker arm bearings worth checking. Found the following after a short Google search. A pal of mine had his done under warranty a few years ago now.

1. Worn bearing usually the exhaust rocker first as it has a bumpy ride with the decompressor pin on the exhaust cam lobe. Varying mileage. Just keep an eye on valve clearances, a large difference between clearances at service interval shows wear point is critical.

2. Bearing axle pin comes loose - caused by manufacturing process not retaining pin securely, if not found in time it can migrate far enough to allow one end to take all the load and the casting of the rocker fractures and lets everything fly loose in the engine. Varying mileage. Check pin security each service, not fail safe as they can go in a very short space of time.

1st jobs,service and Valve check,:thumb2

One of the first jobs I did with mine after fitting new cam followers was a reliable fuel pump and external filter.

Just visit Rallyraid site and buy all the upgrades...

Rockers marked SF16 now available :thumb

Check the steering head torque (60nm under side nut then torque top nut to 30nm, slacken and re-tighten to 12nm...cured my death weave !
External fuel filter is a good idea.

Are you going to carb it :green gri

Check the steering head torque (60nm under side nut then torque top nut to 30nm, slacken and re-tighten to 12nm...cured my death weave !
External fuel filter is a good idea.

Are you going to carb it :green gri

Picked the bike up today,
It needs some tlc!
Tis a bit unstable at speed :eek:
Will take a few bits off to see where we need to be,
Thanks to joe for a copy of the manual:thumby:

Just visit Rallyraid site and buy all the upgrades...

Or maybe just the subframe strengthening kits for a start...lottery win required for most upgrades :D

All the upgrades and still got rid :D

Attachments

• P1000904.jpg
    P1000904.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 693
That's well farkled...and there's a tool tube :rolleyes:

I’ve got a 10 plate which I think is the same. No doubt they have their niggles but great bikes. We were out today in sunshine, rain, sleet and hail - I still came home with a smile on my face!

If you put an exhaust and foam air filter/k&n, I have a good set of maps loaded on mine I can send you.

0 - bad fuel
1 - 1-1 throttle but limited to 65% ish max
2 - evo 1 base map, +3% fuel, throttle relative EP map
3 - evo 1 base map, +6% fuel, throttle relative EP map

I’m most of the way through servicing the bike,
Valve gear and clearances are perfect,
Few small bodges by the PO but nothing much to worry about.
The rear mudguard,and lamps had been bodged ,so I’ve ordered new ones to put it back to standard.
I’ll post some pics when it’s back together,before it gets dirty at the weekend:D

Back
Top Bottom