GSA Sump Guard On A GS?

PhaedrusMC

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I gather this isn't a straight fit - there are bits used to mount the GSA item that aren't present on the GS. The bolt hole pattern on the GSA item doesn't match the bolt pattern on my GS.

Other than this is it straightforward? Do I just buy the parts needed, or is there anything about the GS side or centre stands that come into play? Is it necessary to have GSA side & centre stands?

The sumps on the GS and GSA are hardly different in terms of sump guard mounting bolt locations? Or did BMW make two different sumps?

TIA. :thumb2

Same sump/engine, but different mounting attachments.
The different attachments are just bolt on so can be fitted to any 1150 engine.

Most awkward parts to fit are the adv center stand bracket/plates as the rear of the sump guard bolts to them, the front mount is a straightforward fitting .

:beerjug:

Real beer if I ever meet you - thanks.

Now I wonder how much local BMW will want for the attachments...

You will get some idea for the prices from Max BMW Parts Fiche
Klik here

B0003427.png

Pekka

:thumb2 Thanks.

That fiche assumes fitment to a GSA? I need other / extra parts to fit to my GS. I've emailed Motorworks to see if they have what I need.

Thanks Tadhg. Duffy want €100 for the parts required. Motorworks have all but one of the parts required - all for £40 or so. Payday today... :rolleyes:

This is at the front, just behind the pipe that joins the two exhaust downpipes (part number 2 in the diagram that Pekkavee posted):
IMG_8122.JPG

This is at the back. The bracket is attached to the centre stand and the cat (if you have one), as Steptoe described. In the photo it looks like the bracket for the cat is separate but it's one piece.
IMG_8123.JPG

It's bolted to the crash bars front and back on both sides. This is the left rear. I assume you don't have these, so you'll have four spare holes.
IMG_8124.JPG

Thanks Tadhg.

Now I see further issues - I have H&B engine bars, not OEM GSA bars. I also suspect I don't have the bracket at the rear at the main stand. I'll check the bike tomorrow.

Thanks again dude. :thumb2

I don't think you really need the same engine bars. It would be more sturdy if you did, but the sump guard would be held in place without being bolted to the bars.

I also suspect I don't have the bracket at the rear at the main stand. I'll check the bike tomorrow.

You don't. You have the four rubber mounted studs screwed into the engine block that hold standard GS sump plate.

You need to unscrew those and replace with the rear ADV mounts shown in the picture, not a quick job as stand needs to come off etc etc (i think the prong for the stand springs may also be in a slightly different place, more fecking about), and the front ADV mount which is a simply job as it attaches through the "hole" on the front of the engine.

You don't. You have the four rubber mounted studs screwed into the engine block that hold standard GS sump plate.

You need to unscrew those and replace with the rear ADV mounts shown in the picture, not a quick job as stand needs to come off etc etc (i think the prong for the stand springs may also be in a slightly different place, more fecking about), and the front ADV mount which is a simply job as it attaches through the "hole" on the front of the engine.

And that fecking about would bring a man to the mindset of why bother?

I had thought that the GSA item would offer more protection than my OE GS item. And as I'm starting to take my GS off road a little more (and intend to do even more), the better protection appeals.

But even with the fecking about, the absence of the mounting points in the mid-area where the GSA crash bars would provide support concerns me. I'm no engineer but it seems to me that with mounting points at front & rear only, if the bike's weight were borne by that middle area (rock, log, etc.), there could be issues?

Back
Top Bottom