R60/6 value

lewisjohn

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’m tempted by a 1975 R60/6, very nice original condition, tools, pump, etc, around 50,000 miles.
I was wondering what would be a fair price to pay, Ive heard that the 60 is a little underpowered, but I’m not to bothered about that, it would I think make a nice addition to my R80,R90,and R100, not that I’m going for a full set ,lol.

Attachments

• C32457E1-5952-44A7-AED9-2E69BA3ABB44.jpeg
    C32457E1-5952-44A7-AED9-2E69BA3ABB44.jpeg
    187.6 KB · Views: 399
more than £3k and less than £5k

looks in good nick

I was always happy with the 60/5 I had and it's not something that you belt around on anyway

Coincidentally, just advised someone on another forum to look for one. Mine did regular trips to the a great Wen, cruising two up at 90mph with very little vibration. Doing that with a 40+ year old one might be more challenging though! Value? Find one and then judge where it is on the scale suggested above but give it careful scrutiny: a lot can happen in 40 years.

True but was never an issue with mine. The CR may have been reduced somewhat (bought new) and I used 4* petrol. It wasnt the kind of bike to encourage massive gobs of throttle and maximum acceleration also. Given the miles this one is likely to do, I would not worry about it. Give the engine a good listen though and, if possible, listen to it under load.

One sold on eBay for just over £2k yesterday,and that machine needed total restoration

This one is very nice, paint under the seat and tank look original and in very good condition, are they seen as a decent investment,the seller thought it should have the speedo in the headlight, I thought that was only the toaster model.
I’m weighing up a swap with cash my way for my XT500.

I started my BM adventure with a 75/5 that had the speedo in the headlamp.

I think the /6 went all modern with separate clocks, though I stand to be corrected.

I started my BM adventure with a 75/5 that had the speedo in the headlamp.

I think the /6 went all modern with separate clocks, though I stand to be corrected.

60/5 speedo in headlight 4speed

60/6 separate speedo/ rev counter drum front brake 5 speed

60/7 ditto speedo disc front brake

This one is very nice, paint under the seat and tank look original and in very good condition, are they seen as a decent investment,the seller thought it should have the speedo in the headlight, I thought that was only the toaster model.
I’m weighing up a swap with cash my way for my XT500.

If that is the bike in your first post then it's an early 60/6. My guess would be a manufacture date in early 1975. Clues are the alloy indicators and control levers which are /5. These were changed in later /6 models. All /6 models had the separate speedo/rev counter binnacle and 5 speed box.Ask to see the v5 to check previous owners and note the engine/ frame numbers. Check date of manufacture on bm riders site. https://www.bmbikes.org.uk

It has slide carbs, do they have the choke system, it doesnt look as if they have. In which case it will have ticklers on the float chambers. They can be a bit of a pig to start in cold weather as the enriched fuel runs out before they warm up properly, this in turn causes several attempts to start it which hammers the battery and starting system.

It has slide carbs, do they have the choke system, it doesnt look as if they have. In which case it will have ticklers on the float chambers. They can be a bit of a pig to start in cold weather as the enriched fuel runs out before they warm up properly, this in turn causes several attempts to start it which hammers the battery and starting system.

Yes, they all had slide carbs. R75s up had cv carbs save for the 90S which had Dell'orto pumpers. Mine had a choke lever attached to the nearside air filter cover. It was never difficult to start even in the coldest weather. As you say though, the one above seems not to have choke.cables.

Back
Top Bottom