Drying your bike?

gazuk

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've noticed some of you have some kind of heater /blower you use to dry bike after washing.

Can anyone see/had any issues using a leaf blower?

Or any other recommendations.

Getting ready to acf a couple of bikes and don't want to ride around to dry off and get dirty again.

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk

Use a leaf-blower...... it blows the water (including salts) off the bike

Use heated air...... it also evaporates the water, leaving salts on the surface.

Just take the bike out for a ride, if weather OK. 5-10 miles should have everything dry & make sure the brakes get good & hot too. Then, once cool, some ACF50 where needed.

A mate of mine, who has a substantial air compressor under the bench, swears by blowing the moisture away, but I can't say I detect the benfits when I look 'under the skin' of his steed.

This issue is particularly important at this time of the year though, when oldies like me return to the comfort & warmth of the car sub 10c & bikes get laid up for weeks.

Wash bike?
WASH bike?
Wash BIKE?

Nope...means nuthin to me!

Mine's still covered in flies from Dent !

I believe the difference is in the filter.

A leaf blower will suck in the particles spread by the blast of air and re-blast back them at the bike.

The purpose-built hot air dryer should first filter the air directed at the bike.

You pays yer money etc...

Those are the same particles which blast your bike when you are zipping along the road at anything up to 100mph (ish)

So why worry if they have been through a leaf-blower first??

I used to ride the bike to dry it after washing, but in Winter that’s not always possible as one just picks up more road salt which then gets sealed in with ACF50 or whatever you use. I now always use a dryer, blows either hot or cold air and bike no longer has to be put away wet - simples.

Can anyone see/had any issues using a leaf blower?

The inevitable loss of your dignity and self respect :nenau

Andres

I suspect that for some it would raise both. It would certainly get the bikermate nod of knowing kinsmanship and a quiet tap on the nose from any passing likeminded bikermate. That alone would make it all worthwhile; the silent "You too, eh?", the cornerstone of the bikermate bond.

Carry on....

Have a look at pet dryers as well. Half the price. I've had bikes for 50 years and never dried it with anything other than a chamois. None have suffered any detrimental issues that I could see. I had my bike washed, treated with ACF 50 by all year biker bloke, he dried it with a blower, looked great. I considered buying a dryer for a nano second, but decided I would stick with what I've been doing all these years :)

I have a Titan wet n dry vac from Screwfix.
It has the ability to put the hose in the air outlet which then turns it into a blower.
Added benefit is the air is filtered and after the first few minutes the motor actually warms the air slightly, aiding drying.

Plus it can be used as a vac, wet or dry!

Back
Top Bottom