Which engine bars

Mpgrant70

Reaction score
Hi I have 2018 1200gs rallye which engine bars would you recommend I think the engine bars would not to be black not sure silver would work on the rallye ?

I went with the altrider ones. They are big tubes and if you are looking for something subtle then these aren't the ones for you. But if the bike were to go over i have no doubt that they would keep it safe.
They do them in blue too.

http://www.altrider.com/altrider-crash-bars-for-the-bmw-r-1200-gs-water-cooled/pid/1125

One thing to be aware of though is that if you have the BMW cynlinder covers then you will need to remove the black plastics bit on them otherwise they clash.

I don't have a Rallye but I do have a 2018 TE. I bought it with the engine bars (silver). However, I am removing them at the next service and selling them (already have a buyer). Instead I'm going to fit X-Head machineart covers. I know, I know, I have read the threads about bolts shearing off, I have emailed Machineart and they assure me they bolts I have are the new ones, and it is also why I'm getting BMW to fit them for me at the next service even though I have torque wrenches and have some mechanical abilities.

I changed my mind (WRT to having bars) because all but one of the anchor points also attach to the chassis. If you have a large spill, there is a distinct possibility that you will bend the chassis and it won't save your cylinder anyway. Even a small spill with the force at the right angle (doesn't even have to have a huge force) could potentially bend out the chasssis. The covers slide better dissipating the force more or changing the absorbtion of the energy into a sliding motion. They also have rubber insterts underneath for direct force.

Now I'm looking at this from the point of view of mainly road use (mine is, afterall orientated more towards roadgoing journeys) where most spills likely to be encountered are going to be infrequent (hopefully), of the more dramatic variety or even of the silly kind like stopped as happened to me the other day. For all of those, as I say, I think the covers will serve me better. If I was going to use my bike for greenlaning, TET, RTW things where spills will be of various varieties, more frequent (hopefully not serious but offroading carries that risk) and on (generally) softer surfaces, then I would keep the bars, for sure. In fact, I'd probably have both, If I'm honest.

Personally I also think the bike looks better with covers than it does with the bars.

Incidentally colour is irrelevant, for a small price you can have them powder coated any coulour you like, including the same blue of the frame.

The Adventure bars (available used and new as accessories) don't attach at the chassis, the three lower mounting points are all onto the engine block, so they'd be pretty solid I imagine. They'd suit the Rallye quite well I think (I like the look of them anyway) but they do need one slight mod where the lower bars cantilever over the cylinder heads. Not convinced that they wouldn't smack into the heads in a spill, I fitted Touratech reinforcing struts to mine. With those fitted, they would seem to offer as good protection as many of the other premium types. One consideration though for home servicing is that it's easier to remove the lower bars to get to cylinder heads with these, whereas some after market ones can be left in place.

I have the BMW engine bars on my Rallye and I think they look fine. I also have the Machine Art cylinderhead covers too. One cannot be too careful :p

Attachments

• 552D4574-D8BE-4E47-9D7B-42B3BCD877DC.jpg
    552D4574-D8BE-4E47-9D7B-42B3BCD877DC.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 561
Ah didn't know that :) very nice bike BTW Neil :thumb

I might be wrong (it does happen...) but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will confirm or deny my ramblings. Thanks Jersey GS :beerjug:

Wright GSer. A friend of mine has a side line in motorcycle graphics and he and I designed it together and he had them made for me. He has a FB page https://www.facebook.com/mpgmotographics/

He does a lot of graphics for KTM and other enduro bikes. I am certain that he will be only too happy to sort some out either like mine or in your own special design. He is very talented and can turn something scribbled onto the back of a fag packet into a very professional job. I fitted them myself and did not do too bad a job (even if I say so myself).

The Adventure bars (available used and new as accessories) don't attach at the chassis, the three lower mounting points are all onto the engine block, so they'd be pretty solid I imagine. They'd suit the Rallye quite well I think (I like the look of them anyway) but they do need one slight mod where the lower bars cantilever over the cylinder heads. Not convinced that they wouldn't smack into the heads in a spill, I fitted Touratech reinforcing struts to mine. With those fitted, they would seem to offer as good protection as many of the other premium types. One consideration though for home servicing is that it's easier to remove the lower bars to get to cylinder heads with these, whereas some after market ones can be left in place.

They actually attach to both. Look carefully and you'll see that the chassis attaches to the same bolts. If the bar gets ripped off or bent it could take the chassis attachment with it.

Like I said, not going to happen on a "topple" but a long slide with a kerb hit or a sudden stop with an immovable object has the potential to cause a fair amount of damage. A big spill has the potential to rip the bars off, and cause damage that otherwise might not have happened.

That's what I pay insurance for ;)

I don't think any solution will guarantee non-damage on a long slide or big off. Most folks are going to drop their machines, at a guess, from stand-still or on slow speed minor off road spills for those that take part in off road activities.

My main concern is dropping the thing from standstill or on an adverse camber (been there before...foot down....foot keeps going, I drop bike!). I would just want to minimise chances of cracking a valve cover which could ruin my day, especially if out in the middle of no-where at the time. That's why I fitted Touratec reinforcing struts. The chances of those damaging the frame I'd guess are slim to non-existent in such circumstances but they will prevent side crash bars from being pushed into the engine covers. They're a great addition imho.

Altrider FTW. I can confirm that they work very well and allow you room to remove the covers without removing the bars. Fitted here with room for the Wunderlich covers underneath. (you can never be too sure!)

41647993744_63f8c9df15_z.jpg

The engine protection bars from the 1200 won't fit a 1250 because the exhaust header pipes are in the way on the 1250.

Back
Top Bottom