Phone Mounting - how do you do yours

Wow! Thanks All - some great ideas here. I'll do some research based on your experiences next week and make a purchase :)

X-grip with iPhone 7+ (waterproof) but only on long trips so I can charge it, converted the din socket to waterproof twin usb from NN.

RAM mount onto the GPS bar, medium RAM extension arm and a Quad lock RAM mount. Phone in a Quadlock case. I have the iPhone X which is “water resistant” so as the setup is behind the screen, I don’t usually resort to using the Quadlock cover as well, but I keep it available in case it really downpours.

This puts the phone on the same side as the standard socket, into which I plug a usb socket and curly charging lead

Im thinking of adding a quad lock to my GSA, does it have to be with a ram mount or can it just be attached to the nav bar? i prefer things closer to the bike rather than sticking out

Im thinking of adding a quad lock to my GSA, does it have to be with a ram mount or can it just be attached to the nav bar? i prefer things closer to the bike rather than sticking out

You could mount it in the middle of the bars

I’m another that uses ultimate addons
They do a psu so you charge the phone all day if you wish and phone specific cases

Great kit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One thing to be aware of when using third party or generic chargers is that they may not keep pace with power consumption when using a phone as a satnav and using its location services which can be power hungry. This means the phone can run out of charge during a long days riding, just at the crucial point where you are looking for your overnight accomodation.

Many phones now offer a fast charging option which in theory will keep it charged regardless of use, but to take advantage of this you have to have a 12V version (i.e. car charger adapter) of the particular fast charging variant your phone uses, as unfortunately there is not a single standard for this. I say in theory this will work, as I believe some phones will only accept fast charging while not in use and with the screen blanked.

All this, plus the need for a very bright display, water resistance, etc, makes the choice of phone model very important if you are going to use it as a satnav on a bike.

I use a Google Nexus 6 phone, which because it was made by Motorola, accepts the Motorola Turbocharger car type 12V adapter, and with this will work all day on the bike as a satnav without losing charge.

RAM mount onto the GPS bar, medium RAM extension arm and a Quad lock RAM mount. Phone in a Quadlock case. I have the iPhone X which is “water resistant” so as the setup is behind the screen, I don’t usually resort to using the Quadlock cover as well, but I keep it available in case it really downpours.

This puts the phone on the same side as the standard socket, into which I plug a usb socket and curly charging lead

Which RAM mount is this? this is how I would like to setup my phone.

+1 for this setup.... I have exactly the same (thanks Phil for the idea) and it’s perfect. Everything is secure and in line of sight.

Which RAM mount is this? this is how I would like to setup my phone.

1 inch ball mount for relevant circumference plus the RAM small extension arm with the RAM locking bolt followed by the 1 inch ball Quadlock fixing.

1 inch ball mount for relevant circumference plus the RAM small extension arm with the RAM locking bolt followed by the 1 inch ball Quadlock fixing.

Is the ball mount shown for 1/2” tube a genuine RAM, I cannot seem to find the clamp type?

Thanks

This is what I've done. Quadlock extension bolted through sat nav blank. 300mm charge lead runs to Optimate USB.

Attachments

• 20190604_161928.jpg
    20190604_161928.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 474

Back
Top Bottom