Phone Mounting - how do you do yours

This is what I've done. Quadlock extension bolted through sat nav blank. 300mm charge lead runs to Optimate USB.

So I’m guessing you don’t use a Nav4/5/6 then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

how much £137

Ive just paid and had delivered one of those click in phone mounts for 20 euro ! so if any one wants one 75 euro delivered !!!!!!! some one is making good money on those !

I hate not having a nav unit on my nav bracket :blast

Oh well...

Oh good is it working now?
I would have gone with the BMW Nav, but the phone was quite expensive, its not on a contract, and I'd only just bought it before I bought the bike. I was using an old iPhone 4 for years, but the 10 is waterproof and far better. For me it's a better option as it does all my nav, music and calls via my Sena coms and at the end of each ride my fone is fully charged and takes a split second to grab off the mount even with gloves on. I don't like tank bags, or extra stuff stuck on the bars.
Whatever works for you I guess, but like I say, I'm not brilliant with computers, as I think I've proved trying to post a simple illustration of my phone mount, and I don't want to go to the trouble of learning a whole new nav system, working out the TFT screen was enough.

Oh good is it working now?
I would have gone with the BMW Nav, but the phone was quite expensive, its not on a contract, and I'd only just bought it before I bought the bike. I was using an old iPhone 4 for years, but the 10 is waterproof and far better. For me it's a better option as it does all my nav, music and calls via my Sena coms and at the end of each ride my fone is fully charged and takes a split second to grab off the mount even with gloves on. I don't like tank bags, or extra stuff stuck on the bars.
Whatever works for you I guess, but like I say, I'm not brilliant with computers, as I think I've proved trying to post a simple illustration of my phone mount, and I don't want to go to the trouble of learning a whole new nav system, working out the TFT screen was enough.

Understood, completely, but for those without TFT, the info on the nav unit is also useful, not just the navigation. Two years on, I've only just sorted my connections between Sena comms, nav 6 and iphone 10, as I have never been too bothered about taking calls when riding, but now I have, it is a useful feature.

Phone is away in a waterproof jacket pocket (appreciate it is somewhat waterproof) and I can use the much clearer nav screen if I want to take a call etc.

Nav unit is locked in place, so no one is going to run past and grab my phone either...

I was interested as your first post said you were going to show us the 'Best' way to mount your phone. It's just another option, but to be informative, maybe show members how to set it up, where to buy the backing, fit etc?

Understood, completely, but for those without TFT, the info on the nav unit is also useful, not just the navigation. Two years on, I've only just sorted my connections between Sena comms, nav 6 and iphone 10, as I have never been too bothered about taking calls when riding, but now I have, it is a useful feature.

Phone is away in a waterproof jacket pocket (appreciate it is somewhat waterproof) and I can use the much clearer nav screen if I want to take a call etc.

Nav unit is locked in place, so no one is going to run past and grab my phone either...

I was interested as your first post said you were going to show us the 'Best' way to mount your phone. It's just another option, but to be informative, maybe show members how to set it up, where to buy the backing, fit etc?

My apologies, I should have said in my opinion the best way to mount your phone, from a subjective view point.
I didn't want to be presumptuous and post up the how to details straight away, maybe no one wants similar. The details are simple though and I'd be happy to share if anyone's interested.

Good point about the theft potential, had some interest from a guy on a scooter in Santander in traffic a year or 2 back, but at the time it was the old phone and as soon as he saw that he rode off.

One thing to be aware of when using third party or generic chargers is that they may not keep pace with power consumption when using a phone as a satnav and using its location services which can be power hungry. This means the phone can run out of charge during a long days riding, just at the crucial point where you are looking for your overnight accomodation.

Many phones now offer a fast charging option which in theory will keep it charged regardless of use, but to take advantage of this you have to have a 12V version (i.e. car charger adapter) of the particular fast charging variant your phone uses, as unfortunately there is not a single standard for this. I say in theory this will work, as I believe some phones will only accept fast charging while not in use and with the screen blanked.

All this, plus the need for a very bright display, water resistance, etc, makes the choice of phone model very important if you are going to use it as a satnav on a bike.

I use a Google Nexus 6 phone, which because it was made by Motorola, accepts the Motorola Turbocharger car type 12V adapter, and with this will work all day on the bike as a satnav without losing charge.

iPhone 7 plugged into an Anker battery pack charged each night. Used this every day as a SatNav, & for music & calls, during a 14 day trip to Spain. No issues with the iPhone not staying fully charged. Now fitted a twin usb socket to the screen mount for future trips. Used a RAM finger grip to hold the phone. Just as clear to see as the Garmin say next to it, in bright sunlight. (Cocked up loading the maps on the Garmin before leaving, only had Northern Europe not Southern needed for Spain, noted on return that the download is now all Western Europe, so good for UK, Spain and all the way west to Poland & Croatia).

My apologies, I should have said in my opinion the best way to mount your phone, from a subjective view point.
I didn't want to be presumptuous and post up the how to details straight away, maybe no one wants similar. The details are simple though and I'd be happy to share if anyone's interested.

Good point about the theft potential, had some interest from a guy on a scooter in Santander in traffic a year or 2 back, but at the time it was the old phone and as soon as he saw that he rode off.

I’m interested and would be grateful if you would post up how you did mount the phone.

I have tried numerous ways, so far the a ram mount x bracket, but it’s fitted to the Cymarc screen strengthening brackets, which is a tad gangly and requires routine tightening, usually at the least convenient time.

I don’t want the phone to obscure my view, display or Satnav. If I cannot improve on the present system I may just stuff the phone in a handlebar bag and charge the Schuberth SRC headset.

I’m interested and would be grateful if you would post up how you did mount the phone.

I have tried numerous ways, so far the a ram mount x bracket, but it’s fitted to the Cymarc screen strengthening brackets, which is a tad gangly and requires routine tightening, usually at the least convenient time.

I don’t want the phone to obscure my view, display or Satnav. If I cannot improve on the present system I may just stuff the phone in a handlebar bag and charge the Schuberth SRC headset.

I used the Scosche mag mounts designed for car dash board vents. I got them from Halfords. https://www.halfords.com/technology...es/car-phone-holders/scosche-magic-mount-vent
I got a spare blank for the sav mount in case my design didn't work and I could then just put the original blank back on unmolested.
Simply drilled the blanking plug with a single mounting hole for each magnet mount, so one hole each side. I offset the right side to avoid the part of the blank that covers the electrical contacts, so that part still seals off the contacts.
I then removed the rubber cover from the magmounts, which allows access to the screw that holds it together. Once undone the little legs that stick out can be removed, and a longer bolt can be used to replace the original screw to bolt through the sav blank. I used nylock nuts and loctite. I also used adhesive pads on the back of the magmounts between them and the sav blank just to stop them spinning around.
If you take the individual magnets off the mounting plate be sure to mark them so that you can put them back on in the same order and same side up, as this makes a big difference to the strength of the magnetic field.
For my old iPhone4 one magnmount was enough, and I still use it on the old GS.
On the new one for my iPhone 10, I needed 2 for peace of mind. It has never moved a mm, despite off road riding, and I am 100% confident that 2 magmount are more than enough to hold it securely.

Also in the kit are small black metal plates that need to be secured to the back of the phone. The adhesive pads supplied are rubbish so I removed them and used silicon sealant instead.
If you view the link it shows everything in the kit.

Hope this helps. Good Luck.

Edit; I used a spacer behind the left magmount to bring it up to the same height as the right, as the sav blank is uneven.

Having dumped my Nav 6, too shitty, and my TomTom 550, bluethooth too unreliable with my iphone/senna set-up, have settled on using the tomtom app plus an Iphone X & SP mounts. https://sp-connect.co.uk/collections/motorcycle
I've used the mirror mount so it fits where the Nav cradle was. No need for a RAM mount (which personally I think looks a bit cluttered and bulky). I did look into Quadlock but SP also sell a wireless charger which can be used on any of their mounts. So it clicks straight into place in one move and also charges itself. https://sp-connect.co.uk/collections/electronics/products/wireless-charging-module

I can play music, take calls, hear camera warnings & if wanted, nav instructions and charge the phone. it all connects first time, everytime to my senna headset. The only downside so far is the loss of MyRoutes in the Tomtom app (its in the Android app but not IOS).

Have also got the same set up now in the car!

Having dumped my Nav 6, too shitty, and my TomTom 550, bluethooth too unreliable with my iphone/senna set-up, have settled on using the tomtom app plus an Iphone X & SP mounts. https://sp-connect.co.uk/collections/motorcycle
I've used the mirror mount so it fits where the Nav cradle was. No need for a RAM mount (which personally I think looks a bit cluttered and bulky). I did look into Quadlock but SP also sell a wireless charger which can be used on any of their mounts. So it clicks straight into place in one move and also charges itself. https://sp-connect.co.uk/collections/electronics/products/wireless-charging-module

I can play music, take calls, hear camera warnings & if wanted, nav instructions and charge the phone. it all connects first time, everytime to my senna headset. The only downside so far is the loss of MyRoutes in the Tomtom app (its in the Android app but not IOS).

Have also got the same set up now in the car!

Does the wireless charger provided enough power to charge when using the phone as a sat nav?

Does the wireless charger provided enough power to charge when using the phone as a sat nav?

Yes, it’s always fully charged when I take it off.
iPhone X plus many of newer android ones have high speed charging which is supported by this too.
Also the case it comes with, doesn’t stop it charging wirelessly on a charging mat off the bike.

Back
Top Bottom