Phone Mounting - how do you do yours

MartinK

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Looking for inspiration :)

I have a new R1200GS LC with the TFT screen. I have downloaded the BMW Motorrad "Connected" App. Now I can get the basic "nav" arrows on the TFT screen when I am riding along. Only think is with the phone in my pocket, with bluetooth and location services switched on, the battery drops pretty quick.

So, I would like to mount it somewhere on the bike, and connect it into a USB charger. I guess it does not need to be visible whilst riding (I don't need more distractions!!)

How are other people managing this? I have looked at a few options but none seem perfect/great/logical.

I guess I'll get a USB charger adaptor (Nippy Normans have them https://www.nippynormans.com/k1200s/plug-in-usb-90-degree-socket-converter ) for the socket in the cockpit, but where to mount the phone???

The little Givi Tanklock Enduro Bag (https://www.nippynormans.com/r1200g...lock-enduro-bag-needs-tank-filler-ring-to-fit ) tank top bags are one option, or I guess a simple bar mount for the phone?

Keen to hear how others have achieved this.

Cheers

Tank bag all the way.

Thanks, Andy - is the tank bag annoying when you fill up? Do you have one like the Givi one above? It does look the best option, as I assume it keeps the phone dry as well. Keen to hear more about your experiences... Cheers

Handlebar bag ,great for essential items phone passport toll tickets etc ,not as intrusive as a tankbag

Thanks, Andy - is the tank bag annoying when you fill up?

Only if you don't remove it first.

With the Bags Connection/SW-Motech tank bag mounting system, you just pull a cord at the front of the bag to release it from the ring. It's very easy to remove and replace the tank bag. I assume the Givi system is similar.

The tank ring type bags are not recommended by BMW because the bike's filler fixings, which are used to hold the tank ring mounts, screw into brass threaded inserts in the plastic fuel tank, and these are not intended to take the sort of loads a tank bag could exert.

I use the BMW bag, and with a couple of small mods to stop the straps from being displaced when not in use, it is very easy to use. I just undo either the front or rear straps and tip the bag out of the way for fuel stops without having to completely remove it. Having owned tank ring bags previously, these are not always as easy to fix/unfix as claimed, so I am equally happy with the strap type.

If you have the satnav prep on your bike then this includes a mounting bar for the satnav mounting hardware. If like me you don't use a the BMW Nav, then you can remove its mount and fit a Quadlock phone mount to the bar using their mirror mount hardware, as this bar is about the same diameter as a mirror stalk. I find this works really well and is ideally positioned to view the MyRoute Navigation app that run on my phone and which I use for satnav duties. If you do a lot of touring then something map based with the ability to pre-plan routes will be much more useful than the basic arrow navigation on the TFT.

I use a RAM mount ‘X’ mount on the RHS and an 8” long USB cable to a din USB adapter.

If it’s pissing down I put the phone and cable away.

Never lost a phone or cable and this assembly has been on four bikes, GS, MTS, F800GS and and RT

The tank ring type bags are not recommended by BMW because the bike's filler fixings, which are used to hold the tank ring mounts, screw into brass threaded inserts in the plastic fuel tank, and these are not intended to take the sort of loads a tank bag could exert.

I use the BMW bag, and with a couple of small mods to stop the straps from being displaced when not in use, it is very easy to use. I just undo either the front or rear straps and tip the bag out of the way for fuel stops without having to completely remove it. Having owned tank ring bags previously, these are not always as easy to fix/unfix as claimed, so I am equally happy with the strap type.

+1 :thumb2

I went through several tank bags for my GS until I was happy. The 'small' BMW ones were too small, the 'large' BMW ones were too large, the tank lock ones didn't follow the contour of the tank so looked stupid.
This: https://www.cyclegear.com/accessories/givi-grt705-gravel-t-waterproof-20l-tank-bag however is *excellent* as it is soft on the bottom so moulds to fit bike's shape. It's strap-on with a harness that stays on the bike but has 4x quick release clips (for fuelling, I only undo 2 and pivot the bag backwards). It's totally waterproof so no silly extra covers; comes with a carry strap if needed, has a map case. Not too big (I can't see or feel it in my eyeline when riding, even when looking at speedo/dash) but still gets loads of stuff in.

Lastly, from your prospective: it has a port at the front for receiving cables etc to the inside so you could charge your phone there.

Quad lock mount on RAM ball

RAM mount onto the GPS bar, medium RAM extension arm and a Quad lock RAM mount. Phone in a Quadlock case. I have the iPhone X which is “water resistant” so as the setup is behind the screen, I don’t usually resort to using the Quadlock cover as well, but I keep it available in case it really downpours.

This puts the phone on the same side as the standard socket, into which I plug a usb socket and curly charging lead

Attachments

• 8EF76A3D-C9C2-4BCD-927F-72003DBD2AFB.jpg
    8EF76A3D-C9C2-4BCD-927F-72003DBD2AFB.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 1,518
  • A0AA849E-894E-4510-B80F-14A16ABF1D44.jpg
    A0AA849E-894E-4510-B80F-14A16ABF1D44.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 2,178

Back
Top Bottom