TPS Cable chewed off - need quick fix

osullivr

Reaction score
The cable to the throttle position sensor on my 2011 GSA has been eaten by a little puppy, who chewed off the rubber cable protector and about six inches of wiring.

I am currently in El Salvador and BMW don't have the replacement 3-pin plug; I will have to wait until Costa Rica or Panama, so I need a temporary quick fix to get me on the road again.

I am not near the main dealer, so I need to have this done locally. It should be a simple little job to solder on a few inches of wire to the plug, and attach to the wires leading to the computer control unit. The issue is that two of the wires are the same colour (two-tone purple and yellow), and the other wire is green. I can manage the green wire, but I need help deciding how to connect the other two wires...to location 1 and 2 of the plug

In the picture it looks as if the wires are already 'lined up', and I should just join them in the order that they emerge from the wiring harness

but this may not be correct

Can I do it by trial and error and try one option first, and if that doesn't work then switch the wires; or will this mess up the TPS?

And if I do connect them correctly will every just work as normal, or will there have to be some kind of a TPS reset.

Note: The bike starts fine and idles fine, but cuts out above 2000 RPM. I do have access to a small voltameter

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated

Rory

WIea6Tm

You may be able to change the settings manually to gain more revs? I would suggest a search on here and or Adv Rider as someone will have had this issue before
Good luck

:beerjug:

ps I have posted this in another section to help ;)

Problem solved - wiring diagram indicated that one of the wires had an 'id spiral' colour, allowing me to differentiate between the two wires

thx for reading

Back
Top Bottom