Taking a chain (security) on tour

lukethedrifter

Reaction score
I do have a question.....I've tried to read a few posts on the subject, but not sure if I'm missing something.
Anyway I have a Almax chain that's 16mm ( I think) and don't really use it much as I rarely go anywhere and leave the bike.
I have taken it with me a couple of times in the top box and not noticed any difference riding.
I appreciate some people don't like taking big chains with them mainly because of the weight, but I'm taking a bag with a few clothes in, and my top box is going to be practical empty, apart from a few basic tools etc.
The bag will be strapped to rear seat.
I can't see the chain being a problem, but reassurance from someone with a bit more knowledge would be nice :)
I generally lay it in the box like a coil so weight is evenly distributed.
Thanks

I have started you a fresh thread, to save you hijacking someone else’s

Richard

Only a guess but that Almax chain plus ( i assume) a decent lock must weigh 20KG plus
Thats a lot of weight to lug around ( what is the top box max recommended weight ?

Personally i wouldnt lug that weight around but it is of course up to you

I do have a question.....I've tried to read a few posts on the subject, but not sure if I'm missing something.
Anyway I have a Almax chain that's 16mm ( I think) and don't really use it much as I rarely go anywhere and leave the bike.
I have taken it with me a couple of times in the top box and not noticed any difference riding.
I appreciate some people don't like taking big chains with them mainly because of the weight, but I'm taking a bag with a few clothes in, and my top box is going to be practical empty, apart from a few basic tools etc.
The bag will be strapped to rear seat.
I can't see the chain being a problem, but reassurance from someone with a bit more knowledge would be nice :)
I generally lay it in the box like a coil so weight is evenly distributed.
Thanks

Switch it around, put the chain on the rear pillion seat

Put the bag on top of the chain on the pillion seat, strap it all down - Better weight distribution and lower CofG

Arrive at digs, unstrap the bag from pillion seat and now the chain - fix chain to secure bike to something solid

Pick up bag, walk into hotel and order a beer

Top boxes should have no more than 5kgs of anything in them, else you're overloading the topbox

Switch it around, put the chain on the rear pillion seat

Put the bag on top of the chain on the pillion seat, strap it all down - Better weight distribution and lower CofG

Arrive at digs, unstrap the bag from pillion seat and now the chain - fix chain to secure bike to something solid

Pick up bag, walk into hotel and order a beer

Top boxes should have no more than 5kgs of anything in them, else you're overloading the topbox

That's what I needed to know, thanks, will do it that way. You've put my mind at ease :)

Only a guess but that Almax chain plus ( i assume) a decent lock must weigh 20KG plus
Thats a lot of weight to lug around ( what is the top box max recommended weight ?

Personally i wouldnt lug that weight around but it is of course up to you

Your right probably does weigh something like that. I had no idea the top box was only meant for about 5kg. Luckily a fella with the knowledge has put me on the right track, my bag with the chain won't weigh any more than about 40kg, so all of it on the passenger seat should be all good :)

The 20 kg of hardened steel will of course carry on travelling forwards at xxx mph, towards your spine, if you happen to have a coming together with a smidsy etc...
Might be wise to loop it round the grabrails if you really must carry it on the pillion seat

Anyway I have a Almax chain that's 16mm ( I think)

I have an Almax 16mm that I use to tie down to the ground one of my bikes.
You do not want to lug that thing around when traveling.

Get a 13mm in case.

I never traveled with more than my disc lock on all the bikes usually. This year, for the first time, I had space for a 13mm chain + lock.
I used it for one night only when leaving the bike in the parking lot in front of an ibis south of Dijon (not exactly the Bronx).
The rest has been garaged or in pretty safe locations. Would bother only if traveling to busy locations tbh.
Don't remember how much butter was in the fridge this summer. I tend to use olive oil much more.

As long as I’m not staying in big city areas, I haven’t bothered with anything more robust than a disc lock

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A chain is a heavy commitment. An decent alarmed disc-lock would be my preference.

If two of you are travelling - chop the long chain in two, and carry two padlocks ......

(Half a chain and a padlock each)

Chain the bikes together overnight.

Get a tool box attached to pannier rails and put in there . That’s what I use my Bumot box for

8f839f453c4b4843e1cc460e00dc3b38.jpg

I have been leaving my bikes all over Europe for years with nothing more then the steering lock...and for the last 5 years since the steering lock on my Harley broke.... nothing..... .. bikes have always been there in the morning.

Perhaps I’m lucky.....

I have been leaving my bikes all over Europe for years with nothing more then the steering lock...and for the last 5 years since the steering lock on my Harley broke.... nothing..... .. bikes have always been there in the morning.

Perhaps I’m lucky.....

Perhaps analogous to the fella who’s TV burst into flames one night...............

“That’s never happened before!”

Means nowt!

Security is always going to be an emotive subject, anything from outright paranoia, to do feck all. The only reliable answer lies in the pound of butter in the fridge.

Seriously, chains or even just a disc lock will only work if you use them. Do you plan on lifting your bag off to unhitch your 20 kg of chain, lug it around your bike and padlock it each time you stop? If the answer is no, don’t bother taking it. I have watched bods cart God knows what weights of linkage around and then, because they are tired, not use it once. A simple disc lock is easy. If it’s easy, you’ll (probably) use it. It’s as simple as that.

If you take a lock, take the spare key, too. Or you’ll be (maybe) buying a battery powered angle grinder.

As an aside, I saw banks and banks of scooters & motorcycles parked in places like Porto, San Sebastian & Bilbao on my recent trip. Very few had any form of lock. Do they rely on the herd protection of the numbers or is crime less prevalent in Spain & Portugal?

Like others, I routinely park on pavements outside foreign hotels. I use a Mammoth Disk Lock as I have declared it to my insurer.

I read that as you have a “Mammoth Cock..”.....had to read it again.....:D

I was amazed you had to declare it..... I’ve not declared mine.....

That's what I needed to know, thanks, will do it that way. You've put my mind at ease :)

That is what I do, put lock and chain on pillion seat - in its own bag and strap it down

Then put a roll bag on top of that, strap that down

Done it for 25 years, touring abroad

If the hotel has a garage, it goes on there and chain doesn't get used..................however if it's open yard or on street parking then I always use the lock and chain as a deterrent

Others may scoff, but a decent lock and chain is invaluable when touring abroad

This is my set up and has worked for me since 1994

Attachments

• IMG_3783.jpg
    IMG_3783.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_3785.jpg
    IMG_3785.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_3786.jpg
    IMG_3786.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_3788.jpg
    IMG_3788.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_3787.jpg
    IMG_3787.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 251
On the bike, secure and never moves

Leaves you free to put a roll bag on top of it or just use panniers, without

Flexible and easy to use system

Attachments

• Germany  Sept 2014 092.jpg
    Germany Sept 2014 092.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 244
Security is always going to be an emotive subject, anything from outright paranoia, to do feck all. The only reliable answer lies in the pound of butter in the fridge.

Seriously, chains or even just a disc lock will only work if you use them. Do you plan on lifting your bag off to unhitch your 20 kg of chain, lug it around your bike and padlock it each time you stop? If the answer is no, don’t bother taking it. I have watched bods cart God knows what weights of linkage around and then, because they are tired, not use it once. A simple disc lock is easy. If it’s easy, you’ll (probably) use it. It’s as simple as that.

If you take a lock, take the spare key, too. Or you’ll be (maybe) buying a battery powered angle grinder.

Been there with the angle grinder; only a cheap disc lock; but a bastard to shift.:D

As with most things.........lot's of different opinions on what works best. I guess it's what you personally feel comfortable with. For me it's the chain on the seat as in JohnnyBoxer's ( and many thanks for photos). Mainly because it looks safe enough and I know I will use the chain. I have a disc lock for short stops, but for overnight I just feel better with the chain even though I know it's not foolproof.

Back
Top Bottom