LED`s

Grommets arrived from China, a good fit and they do slot around the inside recess ok, the blanking part is very thin so not sure how long it will last, I just cut a hole for the led to go through and sliced a bit of the edge for the lead to go back, thinking about it I should have cut the lead and made a small hole in the blanking part then re soldered, but I have a few more spare grommets so may do that at a later time.

80qxGFk.jpg

JyKblrg.jpg

8LTJwzs.jpg

I bought a set of eBay nighteye bulbs for my 06gs to see what they were like. put them in and i was impressed with the lack of scatter and beam cut off (especially as they were under £20!). The only problem was that they stuck out of the housing by quite a way but a friend saw it and 3d printed me some end caps to fit them (even printing the bmw logo on to them). Just reused the foam gasket off the original cap and had properly fitting covers complete with bayonet lugs. Since then the bike has been mot'd without issue and done a tour of france with no overheating issues.

The headlight is built to dissipate 100watts of halogen heat so 40 watts from two LEDs should be no problem at all.
The issue is air circulation. Passive heat sinks sat outside are fine but risk water ingress to the headlight. As @shaunandco has found, the cooling fan LED bulbs with a cover cap should be fine.

@shaunandco - Does you friend plan to make any more cover caps or maybe share the printer file?

I can ask next time i see him- I did tell him he ought to make a few as i can't be the only person to have this problem and they are a really nice solution.

They look great :thumb2

But I'm bothered you'll have no air circulation? During the winter I'd imagine it'll be OK. But anything vaguely warm will cause it to trip out? But I hope I'm wrong :) cos that's a tidy solution.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Took them through the French heat wave in June and didn’t have an issue- and that was hot! The bulbs are the nighteye ones with a fan as part of the bulb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Took them through the French heat wave in June and didn’t have an issue- and that was hot! The bulbs are the nighteye ones with a fan as part of the bulb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ah. They have fans. Missed that.

The summer heat wave will have been a great test. If they passed that then you're sorted :)

Mine is totally exposed (no fan) and in the beginning it would trip out. Got some air moving over it with a little duct and that seems to have fixed it. But your set up looks much better.

Ah. They have fans. Missed that.

The summer heat wave will have been a great test. If they passed that then you're sorted :)

Mine is totally exposed (no fan) and in the beginning it would trip out. Got some air moving over it with a little duct and that seems to have fixed it. But your set up looks much better.

Thanks- When my mate said he'd print me the covers i wasn't really expecting much but was dead happy when he turned up with them.

I'm sure if the lad knocked up a few of these he would have no problem shifting them in this section.
I'd certainly pay a few quid for a pair of them.

Sent from a U11

Back
Top Bottom