Recommend me a new battery please

Big-G

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
100gs 1988-90 I'm still on a BMW 53030 and fed up checking the levels as it gets older lol and me for that matter.
It has to come out every time so what do I get for not a lot of money.
Help please
G:confused:

I use the 80G/S size Motobatt which works fne even with a Bosch starter motor. I use the extra space to store a few small spare parts.

I use the 80G/S size Motobatt which works fne even with a Bosch starter motor. I use the extra space to store a few small spare parts.

Bit more expensive, as lithium but great battery and gives you even more space.

Odyssey PC680

My Odyssey failed in a year - never again. The Motobatt was fitted 4 years ago.

Odyssey must close down then, was it the PC680

Yes it was. I appreciate that a lot of peeps swear by them but things move on a Motobatt do the same thing or better for half the price :)

Yes it was. I appreciate that a lot of peeps swear by them but things move on a Motobatt do the same thing or better for half the price :)

cannot disagree with that, I really am not loyal to batterie brands, but when I need to be sure on Lithium I usually go to Antigravity, not cheap but certainly have never failed me yet.......:beerjug:

The stock 20 AH Motobatt is sometimes a bit cheaper than the G/S specific 51--- and it does the job.
The larger 53--- size ended up in my Subaru where it doies OK too.

The stock 20 AH Motobatt is sometimes a bit cheaper than the G/S specific 51--- and it does the job.
The larger 53--- size ended up in my Subaru where it doies OK too.

About £15 cheaper than the 32ah 30U so for the difference I'll plum for the recommended one. Thanks anyway.

There is a much bigger difference in Oz.
I can get THE 20u for $100-, $130 - for the G/S specific 514-- and $240 - for the 30 AH GS size.
If I could get the 30U for a extra $30- and had space to fit it I would have it in a flash.
I don't have all my bikes on the road at the same time, which is why the 30u out of my GS is in my car , but when I finally get round to buying a proper one for the car it will be the biggest that I can cram in, nothing like having plenty of CC amps and full volts at the same time!

The Odyssey PC680 is Advanced Glass Mat not lithium. I use them in my G/S and the Le mans, and had one fail after about 5 years recently. The other one must be about 12 years old and works fine.

battery

Odyssey. put one on my Harley 7 years ago and still going strong. never charged it.

The Odyssey PC680 is Advanced Glass Mat not lithium. I use them in my G/S and the Le mans, and had one fail after about 5 years recently. The other one must be about 12 years old and works fine.

I checked. It wasn't 5 years, it was nearer 9.

Absorbent Glass Mat - as are Motobatt. As I said, many good reviews of the PC680 but mine failed early which has put me off. The Motobatt I have now is only about 8 years old. I have other vehicles (both diesels) with normal lead acid batteries that are 13 and 14 years old.

Yep cookie, it was red wine time, was trying to say Lithium antigravity are expensive but good, but Odyssey PC680 is a good choice...........:beerjug:

If length of ownership is the main driver, seems the recommendations above are pretty solid.... as are their weights!

I've gone from a PC680 on both my bikes to one of the lithium batteries from Motoworks. The bike is not used everyday and can disconnect any drains easily and has worked for 6 months perfectly.

May not suit all but I like the small size and weight. Larger lithiums seem to cost a lot more so this was the Goldilocks battery for me.

Battery lithium Aliant YLP14 | ELA44404 £116.88 INC VAT

Voltage 13.2v
PbEq capacity 14Ah
Cranking amps 490A
Cold cranking amps 245A
Max charge current 10A
Weight 760g
Width 114mm
Depth 69mm
Height 90mm Height with terminals 98mm

https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop/Parts.php?T=5&NU=15&M=20&Ct=IA&SbCt=BA_15_20_IA_80&spPage=2

Back
Top Bottom