starting a 2010 F650 twin with a dead battery

Elle

Reaction score
Many of you will think this is a dumb question but I really do need your advice :nenau

My 2010 BMW F650GS twin had to go into storage as I moved house. The bike is fitted with spotlights directly connected to the battery & during the 4 day drive they were inadvertently turned on and now the battery is totally flat.

There is no power in the storage unit so I can't put the battery on charge.

Many moons ago, I'm fairly sure I read that jump-starting a BMW battery into life should be avoided but can't remember why.

Is there a gadget that allows me to charge the battery without it being plugged into the mains?
What's the best & safest way to get the bike started without using a charger?
Should I be aware of any problems that may occur from disconnecting the battery or jump-starting it?

The nice AA man jump started mine when it was flat - no problems. But given that you have to take the centre fairing off to reach the battery to connect leads anyway, can you not just disconnect the battery, take it home & charge it there??

D

If its been flat for any length of time, you'll be needing a new battery so it might be worth just buying a new one, top up charge at home then install when bike required.
for the future it may be possible to rig up a solar top up jobbie.

BMW rotax.

When the starter button jammed on my F700 at 2000 miles I managed to bump start it.
but I think you need a bit of battery power to fire the electronic ignition.

Just disconnect the battery until you are due out of storeage, take it home & trickle charge to see if you can win it back. Frankly, run flat like this, you will be very fortunate to recover the battery, so a new one probably beckons. A jump start on a dead flat battery can lead to ECU & all manor of other electrical problems if you are unlucky, so best avoided - OK, sometimes the only solution if stranded, but that isn't the case here. Hopefully you drained the fuel tank too,usually a condition of the storeage site, so don't forget some fresh fuel when the time comes.

Bump start - best avoided on most modern bikes, they don't like it. Anyway it's so easy to drop the thing without some good strong pushers.

Just disconnect the battery until you are due out of storeage, take it home & trickle charge to see if you can win it back. Frankly, run flat like this, you will be very fortunate to recover the battery, so a new one probably beckons. A jump start on a dead flat battery can lead to ECU & all manor of other electrical problems if you are unlucky, so best avoided - OK, sometimes the only solution if stranded, but that isn't the case here. Hopefully you drained the fuel tank too,usually a condition of the storeage site, so don't forget some fresh fuel when the time comes.

Bump start - best avoided on most modern bikes, they don't like it. Anyway it's so easy to drop the thing without some good strong pushers.

Thank You :thumby:
I have taken the battery off and it'll be charged at a friends' house. I didn't drain the tank because I'm hoping it'll only be out of action for 3-4 weeks and I can always put the older petrol in my car and refill the bike with fresh.

That sounds like the best option, the fuel will be fine. Now, get the spots wired in properly!

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

There have been a number of threads about the paperback sized rechargeable 12v battery packs that will start anything from an iPhone to a diesel truck - starting from about £50 as I recall

Thank You :thumby:
I have taken the battery off and it'll be charged at a friends' house. I didn't drain the tank because I'm hoping it'll only be out of action for 3-4 weeks and I can always put the older petrol in my car and refill the bike with fresh.

That battery is toast. Buy a new one.
The fuel will be fine. It would be fine after 6 months. 3-4 weeks is nothing.

Agree with squibb these 800’s can be bumped but usually there is enough power to run the fuel pump and injectors. A completely flat bike would be a real candidate for falling over as it skids down the road!

Good call on a new battery especially as we will soon be getting sub zero temps so even if you rescued the battery and it was borderline the cold will kill it at the most inopportune time.

Lastl when everything fires back up your service light will be on. Dont worry about it I rode my 08 F650 with the service light on for two years.

Steve

Agree with squibb these 800’s can be bumped but usually there is enough power to run the fuel pump and injectors. A completely flat bike would be a real candidate for falling over as it skids down the road!

Good call on a new battery especially as we will soon be getting sub zero temps so even if you rescued the battery and it was borderline the cold will kill it at the most inopportune time.

Lastl when everything fires back up your service light will be on. Dont worry about it I rode my 08 F650 with the service light on for two years.

Steve

Plus 1 on a new battery - even if it is warming up in Wellington!

Back
Top Bottom