DCT - Neutral

Although :D ......
On an extreme decent of slime covered rocks when it may not be possible to keep a right foot up, it could be to your advantage to kill the engine in 1st gear and use the clutch as a rear brake.....something else you cant do with a DCT :)

I don't like lanes like that or get on the very side part if possible

Or let Tim do it for me instead

Ok, thanks for the tips and advice.

I'll be out with BlueRanger again soon off here.

So will try the tips mentioned...

Do the x-adv rear brake mod, you can then use your left hand to operate the rear brake and paddle through if needed, although it’s always best to try and keep both feet on the pegs for traction, balance and body position (get a trials bike and learn to ride properly ;):p:D).

Just thinking about it again

I lock my Hilux Auto in 1st and 2nd off-road on steep descents - with the shift lock button

Can you do similar on the Honda DCT ??

Just thinking about it again

I lock my Hilux Auto in 1st and 2nd off-road on steep descents - with the shift lock button

Can you do similar on the Honda DCT ??

Yeah, select Manual Mode. It locks it in 1st Gear

On a steep and rocky descent - the last thing I would do is pull the clutch in ......on a normal bike

I would modulate my speed with front (more) and rear brake (less)

If it was really gnarly I would be in 1st or less gnarly in 2nd

Pulling the clutch in, leaves you out of control and at the mercy of gravity with just brakes to retard the bike, which always ends up out of control imho

As Wreford says - the control is in your legs and feet with your bum as far back as you can get it (on rear brake light) on a descent

Only time I would pull the clutch in on a descent is when stopping to take a photograph

Lock a DCT bike in 1st at the top of the descent if you can and don't ride down without assessing it - maybe walk it first ?

Agree with both Johnny,JJ65 and others, but I reckon it would be worth while going on Dave Thorpe Honda Adventure school down in Devon, do the two day course and learn the true capabilities of the DCT.

I might have to do that.

Although I've been on BMW ORS Level 1 and Level 2 foundation.... it was not on a DCT bike.

So I really need to get my head around that as well now.

I'm going to book into Adventure Bike School, Sweet Lamb next year to get more training and using this bike in particular...

It is worth getting to grips with the various settings especially the engine braking as you can tailor it to your preferences and the conditions. Which year bike do you have?

Agree with both Johnny,JJ65 and others, but I reckon it would be worth while going on Dave Thorpe Honda Adventure school down in Devon, do the two day course and learn the true capabilities of the DCT.

I did the 2 day Honda course in Brecon in 2016 and rode the DCT bike on the second day. It was so much easier off-road than the manual.Gobsmackingly good.

No criticism of Warlord but I do think part of the problem here JB and Wreford is that Warlord was a victim of being swept along with a group of more experienced riders and suddenly found himself on a trail past the point of no return well outside of his comfort zone.

Don't know about you but I'm open to the idea that a parallel twin mated to a DCT box would create more run on downhill than would be experienced by either a single or boxer twin which will tend to the hold the bike back as you know.

If possible Warlord I'd like to have a go of the DCT on a downhill to see what it is like and what your up against.

rode the DCT bike on the second day. It was so much easier off-road than the manual.Gobsmackingly good.

Did you cover braking on a slippy down hill though and stopping the bike on incline under control?

889b9169eaacdc8d2d9e67a179e4ed82.png

No criticism of Warlord but I do think part of the problem here JB and Wreford is that Warlord was a victim of being swept along with a group of more experienced riders and suddenly found himself on a trail past the point of no return well outside of his comfort zone.

Don't know about you but I'm open to the idea that a parallel twin mated to a DCT box would create more run on downhill than would be experienced by either a single or boxer twin which will tend to the hold the bike back as you know.

If possible Warlord I'd like to have a go of the DCT on a downhill to see what it is like and what your up against.

Did you cover braking on a slippy down hill though and stopping the bike on incline under control?

Yup.

Seem to recall we basically locked the rear brake on and just steered with the front . I rode up and down slopes that were too steep to walk, and I have zero talent off-road .
They also taught how to turn bike around on a crazy steep slope -came in handy when I found myself up the Andes in Chile with nowhere to go .

Yup.

Seem to recall we basically locked the rear brake on and just steered with the front . I rode up and down slopes that were too steep to walk, and I have zero talent off-road .
They also taught how to turn bike around on a crazy steep slope -came in handy when I found myself up the Andes in Chile with nowhere to go .

I suppose if being a DCT it’s not going to stall using more back brake is an option - I’d not recommend pulling the clutch on a heavy bike on a down hill unless it’s part of a plan to stop, when I’ve been tired and my riding has become ragged and I’ve given the clutch a quick pull hoping it would give me some breathing space normally the opposite happens :D

Yes a common occurrence but all part of the fun , one of the lads on the course last April managed to bend the front end slightly after falling

af9e95d7185a088a76f6a76627089191.jpg

Seem to recall we basically locked the rear brake on and just steered with the front .

Its the times when your trying to force it to go slower than it would want to do on tickover by applying the brakes when you'd normally slip the clutch a little I thought that maybe the DCT was pushing on....perhaps not.

Back
Top Bottom