Recommend me....

King Rat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
What do the airhead gurus think of the 75/6 please? And as a possible alternative a 600/6.

Parts availability and general niceness for using.

pros, cons - possible modifications or desirable accessory or changes?

You could do far worse than buying that nice R80GS that's in the for sale section.

Nice clean investment, only going up in value.

What do the airhead gurus think of the 75/6 please? And as a possible alternative a 600/6.

Depends on what you want out of the bike?
Many buy with a bit of a tint on their glasses,only to realise how far bikes have progressed in 30/40 years
No reason for it not to be reliable if it’s well sorted ,but some are just tired,neglected or worn out.
Buy very carefully .there really is no such thing as a cheap classic.
If you are looking for an everyday bike ,as tufts suggested the 80/100 paralever bikes are a good bet,
Enough power for modern traffic,reasonable brakes etc etc
If you are just wanting a bimble bike for sunny sundays the 75/6 is perfect ,but if you don’t know much about them find someone who does to take along with you to view ,

Depends on what you want out of the bike?
Many buy with a bit of a tint on their glasses,only to realise how far bikes have progressed in 30/40 years
No reason for it not to be reliable if it’s well sorted ,but some are just tired,neglected or worn out.
Buy very carefully .there really is no such thing as a cheap classic.
If you are looking for an everyday bike ,as tufts suggested the 80/100 paralever bikes are a good bet,
Enough power for modern traffic,reasonable brakes etc etc
If you are just wanting a bimble bike for sunny sundays the 75/6 is perfect ,but if you don’t know much about them find someone who does to take along with you to view ,

Thanks Mikey - what about the pros cons of 600 v 750? Is one any better than the other, if so why? I am not a fast rider - if it will sit at a steady 65 happily, I am good with that, it is as fast as I can go anyway. Mostly I avoid motorways like the plague. I wouldn't be using one for long motorway hauls, just As and Bs, or smaller. Hills - 600cc a bit sluggish, or got enough grunt?

The 600's usually had lower gearing,m so on road difference is less than you might expect.
Also might depend on if you have a four of five speed box, and if you will be carrying a passenger.
Contemporary road tests have acceptable 102/110 mph top speeds and 15.5/ 14.1 SS quarter mile times and both will cruise at 65 mph all day.
Only time you will probably notice the difference is when you have to overtake at highway speeds - a five speed 750 is going to be better than a four speed 600, rest of the time you probably wouldn't notice the difference.
As said previously , a paralever bike is just a different class and well worth any extra, and I currently have a 75/7 and 100 GS on the road so I am speaking from recent recollection!.
FWIW I have the Brookland Gold Portfolio of BMW road tests 1971/76, and few if any of the testers were completely happy withe handling of the early SWB bikes, but I haven't ridden one myself.

How many miles a week do you intend riding this icon of automobile engineering ?..

How good are you at finding and rectifying (see what i did there) numerous minor electrical problems on a 40 year old vehicle ?

How many miles a week do you intend riding this icon of automobile engineering ?..

How good are you at finding and rectifying (see what i did there) numerous minor electrical problems on a 40 year old vehicle ?

Thankfully I have a good friend who was an RAF electronics engineer..... he has just bought himself a new oscilloscope for fault finding and he knows how to use it. ;) But in answer - it isn't for everyday use, just a bit of a fad really and an 'itch'?

That R80GS got the thumbs up from the Chancellor, so the V5 is having a change of name as I type. The saddle is more comfy on the back than the 1150 apparently - the boxes dig into her legs when she is on the back and she doesn't like it. The X Country is a bit cramped. It copes but it is bogged down and I am hunched up over the bars, so it isn't ideal. That 80GS fits well with both of us on it. I don't intend to hurry anywhere, a nice sedate cruise or bimbel through the lanes.

I don't intend to hurry anywhere, a nice sedate cruise or bimbel through the lanes.

I can just picture it now......

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KQIRbV_noi8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I can just picture it now......

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KQIRbV_noi8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Brilliant. :aidan

Bought one new R75/6 Nurberg green in 1976 toured Europe and south of France twice, had it 4 yrs only had to renew headlamp relay.
Comfortable 2 up riding.

Last edited:
Best of the /6

I'm biased as I have an R75/6 in the garage. Bought it in 1977, after a test run on GerryC's then bike. More poke than the 60/6, less harsh than the 900 engine. Easy bike to service or work on. Comfortable on a long run - Belfast to Mojacar in South East Spain and back, through France in 1979. Single disc and drum adequate. Light and agile. Great finish, though the /5 were better.
Rear crankcase oil seal can be a problem, don't overfill with oil, check for oil in the engine/gearbox joint.
Original exhaust valves could drop around 40K and should be changed.
Failure of a diode on the rectifier can cook your starter solenoid DAMHIK, flickering dash light was a indicator of this, if I had known.

Back
Top Bottom