New Battery?

ymfb

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
2016 GSA, ridden nearly every day, 25,000 miles on the clock. However not used much in the last week. 3 miles, Monday, 3 miles Tuesday, then parked up in the garage.

This afternoon, got a bloodbike run, geared up, press the button and not enough juice to turn her over.

Should I just face the inevitable and fit a new one?

What should I get ?

522bf3e6ea81de49a5b1a2cb35398451.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I'd check the connections have not worked loose first and give it a go on a charger

I paid £75 from Halfords.... BMW wanted £150

I'd check the connections have not worked loose first and give it a go on a charger

I agree on connections. But if battery has been allowed to go flat for a few days they normally don’t recover. JJH

Don't forget, that purchasing a lead acid battery, the regulations changed 1/11/2018.

I'd go for Lithium, not much more and smaller/lighter too.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Connected the bike to the Optimate lead as I had the foresight to have it fitted when new. An hour on the charger and she fired up very nicely, took it for a ten mile run and checked the display which reads 14.2 V.

Parked it up and reconnected it to the Optimate and shut the garage door, will see how it is tomorrow. At least if it doesn’t start when I’m at home or work there are other options so I’m not stuck.

I might get a battery anyway and fit it next weekend.

Connected the bike to the Optimate lead as I had the foresight to have it fitted when new. An hour on the charger and she fired up very nicely, took it for a ten mile run and checked the display which reads 14.2 V.

Parked it up and reconnected it to the Optimate and shut the garage door, will see how it is tomorrow. At least if it doesn’t start when I’m at home or work there are other options so I’m not stuck.

I might get a battery anyway and fit it next weekend.

Good luck, if anything like mine it'll be fecked...

Check the voltage a couple of hours after it's been disconnected from charge and engine not running - anything less than 12.5v is probably fooked.

Odyssey don’t have a battery for the 2016 GSA, so the search continues, any other reccomendations ?

I think it will fit but yout have to trim a bit of plastic off the battery housing (at least that’s what I remember reading somewhere on here!)

It doesn’t have to be 100% compatible. Once it physically fits and the wires reach and-crucially it’s correct voltage and meets the other requirements amps ect can be greater not less. JJH

Just read my post so to put it right CANNOT be greater on volts. I’ve never seen a automotive battery with more than 12 volts. And yes I know a fully charged battery has more than that. JJH

According to Odyssey app they don’t make a compatible battery.

I have used an odyssey battery in every BMW I have had except for my LCs (and a k1200r). The cranking was always so much stronger with the odyssey.
My 2015 LC was the first bike I had where the battery lasted as long as I had the bike and the only one I never put on the charger. If I needed a new one and warranty wasn’t going to cover it I would look to make an odyssey fit.

My battery story. I have never replaced a battery in 20 years of continuous motorcycle ownership except for twice. First of all on a old r100/7. Second time on my 2016 l/c rt. I bought it about 6 months ago and it had to be jump started in the showroom. Always gave trouble and hard starting till one morning after a 20 mile ride it refused to restart the bike after refueling. I got a new battery under warranty but it caused a lot of hassle that morning. I questioned the salesman at the time but he said it would be grand. I should have told him to fit a new battery or no deal. The 1200 boxer engine asks a lot of the starting system and a iffy battery that would have no problems on a straight 4 engine in not up to the high demands placed on it. JJH

AGM battery. Much cheaper than Lithium (under quarter the price), should be good for 3 to 5 years. Motobat. Exide and Nitro brands all sell them as direct replacements (YTX14 and YTX24).

My battery story. I have never replaced a battery in 20 years of continuous motorcycle ownership except for twice. First of all on a old r100/7. Second time on my 2016 l/c rt. I bought it about 6 months ago and it had to be jump started in the showroom. Always gave trouble and hard starting till one morning after a 20 mile ride it refused to restart the bike after refueling. I got a new battery under warranty but it caused a lot of hassle that morning. I questioned the salesman at the time but he said it would be grand. I should have told him to fit a new battery or no deal. The 1200 boxer engine asks a lot of the starting system and a iffy battery that would have no problems on a straight 4 engine in not up to the high demands placed on it. JJH

It seems there is a battery drain issue due to a £300 electronic module on the bike. This causes excessive current drain when the bike is parked up. The module has been replaced with a different spec one in newer bikes but BMW do not seem to be doing a re-call despite many problems worldwide. My 2016 GSA has the same problem and I replaced the battery with a Yuasa one (Never ever had to replace one of these on any bike) and lo and behold same problem. My bike is out of warranty and BMW have a bit of a 'swallow my nob attitude' in such cases. I am going to try my local dealer and if they won't help - which I suspect they won't, I will be leaving this forum and BMW forever!

Back
Top Bottom