Planning my 2019 Alp route

redsmartie

Reaction score
I'm planning my route for a 2019 trip. I've pretty much got the basis down enough for me to have booked my accommodation stops.

The first two days are going to be higher milage before we slow down to enjoy many of the passes.

I'm retracing steps on the core of the route from Bramans through Col de l'Iseran and over the Bernards to Martigny before heading towards Andermatt.

From there, the group want to go over the Stelvio and we will be swinging a loop before hading back to Andermatt.

This part of the journey is a grey area for me. I'm happy with the routes but wonder if I'm missing a trick from anyone who has ridden that area.

All me planned routes are on MyRoute-app here https://www.myrouteapp.com/en/social/folder/1667674?mode=share

Happy to hear any suggestions

What time of year are you going?
Col de L'Iseran doesn't usually open until the second week of June.
I tried to look at your routes but couldn't get anything to open ( I don't use myrouteapp so maybe I needed to register).

I'm going in July. Four of us from the UK are meeting four of my US mates in Geneva on 4th July.

Taking a teabag so they can flush it down the toilet.

You should be fine in July.

I'll also be riding around Andermatt late July on my way back from the Black sea.
It's a lovely area, as you probably know.

Day 3 sucks, slog up a shite valley, OK if it is pissing down and you can get to the pub in Andermatt quickly.

If nice go a bit North to Aigle and then take the Col des Mosses or Col du Pillon to Saanen, then onto Interlaken and then you can either take the Susten or Grimsel & Furka passes to Andermatt - overall a very nice day out.

Day 4 is OK, but starts with a long valley slog to Chur, an alternate would be to head south on the Lukmanier pass, then go back up the San Bernadino pass and after that you have a choice of the Splugen / Maloja or back to Thusis to join the Julier.

You could also swap the Julier for the Albula depending on your road type preferences (Albula is more rugged / scenic / less busy)

Interlaken to Andermatt by any of the recommended routes is lovely.
If going via Interlaken (as I will be on my return leg) be careful to avoid toll roads (if you are) as the Swiss love taking money of tourists accidentally using a short toll road between non-toll roads.

Day 3 sucks, slog up a shite valley, OK if it is pissing down and you can get to the pub in Andermatt quickly.

If nice go a bit North to Aigle and then take the Col des Mosses or Col du Pillon to Saanen, then onto Interlaken and then you can either take the Susten or Grimsel & Furka passes to Andermatt - overall a very nice day out.

Day 4 is OK, but starts with a long valley slog to Chur, an alternate would be to head south on the Lukmanier pass, then go back up the San Bernadino pass and after that you have a choice of the Splugen / Maloja or back to Thusis to join the Julier.

You could also swap the Julier for the Albula depending on your road type preferences (Albula is more rugged / scenic / less busy)

Perfect! Thanks.

I've set up alternative routes

Google is hopeless in winter as it will not route over the passes.

MyRouteApp is the future!

And free - everyone should give it a test drive ;-)

100% agree

It's very easy to use. I do all my planning on it and then run it through BaseCamp prior to upload to the GPS.

Also great for sharing the routes with the other riders in the group. They can check in at anytime to see the changes I'm making

Day 5:

I would not go down and back up the Stelvio East Ramp, it is pretty horrible in either direction, from your start point I would zip around from Point 1 to point 4 and just ride over the Stelvio - unless your group are no bothered about doing the whole pass, in which case just go up the Umbrail and then back down the West Ramp.

At the bottom rather than going through Livigno Head south over the Gavia Pass (really beautiful - but a bit rugged) and then back up the Bernina (Awesome sportsbike road so anyone who complained about the Gavia will be happy again)

TBH I always have a couple of options for each day, most of your days look quite easy, so could be done in any conditions, my suggestions would be full days, but (IMO of course) give a lot more great riding.

I've left some wriggle room. I've planned tours in Scotland and the Alps and my milage is similar. On paper it looks a little short but in reality with the crew I'm with its about right allowing for numerous photo stops, food, smokes, etc

Day 5:

I would not go down and back up the Stelvio East Ramp, it is pretty horrible in either direction, from your start point I would zip around from Point 1 to point 4 and just ride over the Stelvio - unless your group are no bothered about doing the whole pass, in which case just go up the Umbrail and then back down the West Ramp.

At the bottom rather than going through Livigno Head south over the Gavia Pass (really beautiful - but a bit rugged) and then back up the Bernina (Awesome sportsbike road so anyone who complained about the Gavia will be happy again)

TBH I always have a couple of options for each day, most of your days look quite easy, so could be done in any conditions, my suggestions would be full days, but (IMO of course) give a lot more great riding.

I agree with these options and you could head to Tirano (instead of the Gavia) and on to the Bernina. So many great choices to choose from.
Me, I like an overnight in Livigno if it suits with my mileage that day.

Let's see them in Basecamp, please.

What might be interesting is to see what route(s) Kurviger turns up and compare that too.

I've zipped up my current .gpx routes

I've not expanded the waypoints so hopefully you see the route I have on screen when you open them up in Basecamp (MyRoute-app has a command where you can take a route with minimal waypoint and expand it to a specified, uniformly placed number of points)

Attachments

• Day 1-2.zip
    105.2 KB · Views: 102
  • Day 3-4.zip
    81.9 KB · Views: 69
  • Day 5-6.zip
    81.5 KB · Views: 67
  • Day 7-8.zip
    86.2 KB · Views: 74
I like an overnight in Livigno if it suits with my mileage that day.

Great place for a night or two, love the Brewery in town, Hotel Montanina next door to it is a great place to stop ;-)

If you change the depart time to next summer then google works fine.

Been on them both twice; great night's!

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom