Garmin Zumo 550 Formatted By Mistake

Sprasssky

Reaction score
Had my Zumo 550 connected to the pc via the USB lead as well as my SDHC 4GB card reader. Made the stupid mistake of hitting format on the GPS instead of the SD card. Result is now only the Zumo logo comes up then flashes across to Zumo 550 Copyright 2012 looping forever. Now of course it will not connect to my pc via the lead or Garmin Express. Went to Garmin chat line and they suggested copying files from another 550, tried Garmin forum and then phoned Garmin UK and was told the GPS is no longer supported and there is nothing they can do. Would not send me any original firmware files for the Zumo 550 and I could purchase a new one form them at 30% off their RRP in the shop.
Now having paid out for map updates for life rather unhappy with this response from Garmin UK and having purchased a new Garmin 61LMT for the wife. Is there anybody who can tell me if it is possible to get this Zumo 550 up and running again as I am not a pc expert and did not think of downloading all the files in the unit when purchased many years ago? Have requested in my bike club if anybody has a Zumo 550 I could copy the files but I would still need to know which ones to request from the Garmin Zumo 550 and add on SD card I presume?

I have a copy the system files from my 550 copied to the PC, if that's of any help..?

Sent from my SM-G390F using Tapatalk

Thanks for your offer David.

Have managed to find GarminCure3 to re flash my Zumo 550 and then use RMPrepUSB downloaded to correctly format the hard drive. After all this I then managed to get a connection via the USB lead to Garmin Express and upload maps, files etc.
Now nearly back to normal apart from the bike/car icon missing on my unit? Just an Arrow pointing on the map now in spite of going into the set up menu and touching the bike icon and saving it but no such luck on this one? It may be old but lasts nearly 2 1/2 hours on the original battery and the build quality is far superior to the modern ones on sale. Just need to sort out the icon now.
Many thanks for a quick reply to my mistake of formatting the wrong item connected up to my pc. Will not do that again.

Glad you got it sorted... certainly sounds like you had to work at it!

Sent from my SM-G390F using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom