Kits to recode pannier locks.

Deleted account 221212001

Reaction score
I’m buying some second hand ali panniers for the LC GSA and wondered if anyone knows where I can purchase in the UK the kits to recode the pannier locks to my ignition key. I’ve tried my local bmw dealer and Nippy Norman’s to no avail.

Ta,

I’m buying some second hand ali panniers for the LC GSA and wondered if anyone knows where I can purchase in the UK the kits to recode the pannier locks to my ignition key. I’ve tried my local bmw dealer and Nippy Norman’s to no avail.

Ta,

Your local dealer is talking out of his arse. Find an alternative BMW dealer.

Ta,

I bought a pair on from this parish and took them to my local dealer who recoded them for free.

Ta,

I bought a pair on from this parish and took them to my local dealer who recoded them for free.

Many thanks for the responses. The barrels are out but there is no spare key. It seems if the lock catches are open you can release the locks from the rear.

Did mine last week - used this thread: http://www.mototrip-tours.com/blog/workshop/rekeying-bmw-case-locks/

With the exception of one tumblers I was able to re-code by swapping the tumblers around. No need for a kit!

I didn;t have the key from the original owner, but the panniers were not locked.

20 mins for the first pannier (learning) then just a couple of mins for the 2nd one once I knew what to do :thumby:

Many thanks for the responses. The barrels are out but there is no spare key. It seems if the lock catches are open you can release the locks from the rear.

Yes you can. You can see the end of the wafer that holds the barrel in place. It just needs something thin enough to push it inwards which then allows the barrel to be pushed out. Be careful at this point because the wafers and springs, ( especially the springs...), will fall out never to be seen again.
Fiddly but easy enough to do.

As others have said find a better dealer. When I sold my Varios to make way for an Ali set I agreed to sort the locks out for the new owner. I could see that I needed a few extra number 2 wafers. Popped in to my dealer who chucked me a couple of locks they had on the shelf to help myself to the wafers.

Where abouts are you?.. I have a bag full.. bring e'm round and we can re-code them ;)

That said.. are they the same as the Vario?.. guess they are??

well, as you see from my location, so am I... BD10... send me a PM...

I think I may have fathomed out how to do this, but my god it’s a fiddly job. I need some more number 3 wafers and a couple of springs as some of the springs aren’t in the best of nick.

I’ve spoken with Beaver who very kindly has offered to help out, hopefully I’ll be able to blag some bits from him and finish the job off. We Bradfordians have to stick together you know.:thumb

Back
Top Bottom