F800GS Adventure - Preventative maintenance/upgrades

Negan

Reaction score
I’m hoping to learn from other owners of the 800GSA. As part of preparing for an extended overland trip through Africa, 2up with luggage, I’m hoping to address any known issues prior or carry relevant spares.

My bike is a 2015 F800GS Adventure K75 (OB15)

Feel free to share your experience and how you repaired or upgraded to address them. I’m not looking for advice on farkles, already have more than I need. This request is specifically aimed at identifying weaknesses or issues experienced by others.

Thank you in advance!

I've had my GSA now for 2 years - it was a BMW owned bike registered in 2016. Bought it with 980 miles on it and done 19K.
I only ride on roads (commute) and have had the kill switch and rear wheel bearing replaced at 10359 mile and steering head race replaced at 16510. All under the 2 year BMW warranty.

A little farkle ... replaced the front fork oil with 10w and now feels better - for me anyway.

I have no experience of riding in Africa, but head race bearings, new chain and sprockets but really good quality.

I’ve put up a few miles cumuteing and a few runs. About 50,000 miles if I remember correctly. Wheel bearing and chains till I got DID on it. Wouldn’t use any other chain now. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again as far as I can see the only problem is the tubed tyers. Yes I know all the arguments for and against tubes but when you get a puncture it turns a 15 minute job into a hour or so. I think the proof in my argument is the fact that the new 850 is tubeless. If I was going on a round the world it’s the only modification I’d make is tubeless tyers. Obviously I’d be putting luggage and a bigger screen on it. JJH

I’ve put up a few miles cumuteing and a few runs. About 50,000 miles if I remember correctly. Wheel bearing and chains till I got DID on it. Wouldn’t use any other chain now. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again as far as I can see the only problem is the tubed tyers. Yes I know all the arguments for and against tubes but when you get a puncture it turns a 15 minute job into a hour or so. I think the proof in my argument is the fact that the new 850 is tubeless. If I was going on a round the world it’s the only modification I’d make is tubeless tyers. Obviously I’d be putting luggage and a bigger screen on it. JJH

I personally prefer tubeless but I’ll not risk the conversion for an extended ride, rather carry spare tubes. Swop them when needed and apply fixes at the end of the day.

I've had my GSA now for 2 years - it was a BMW owned bike registered in 2016. Bought it with 980 miles on it and done 19K.
I only ride on roads (commute) and have had the kill switch and rear wheel bearing replaced at 10359 mile and steering head race replaced at 16510. All under the 2 year BMW warranty.

A little farkle ... replaced the front fork oil with 10w and now feels better - for me anyway.

Agree with thicker oil. I’ll also be replacing rear shock and front springs before the trip. Need a suspension that can carry load without failing.

I personally prefer tubeless but I’ll not risk the conversion for an extended ride, rather carry spare tubes. Swop them when needed and apply fixes at the end of the day.

That’s one of my arguments against tubes. If you have tubeless you can still bring tubes with you in the unlikely event that you will use them. With tubes you are guaranteed to use them. JJH

Definitely upgrade fork springs/oil and rear shock. Just had headstock bearings done at 7000 miles . Just returned from off roading in Portugal, suspension made a huge difference

Really enjoying mine but I did curse tubes a bit today! Thankful for recovery in 45 mins.

Attachments

• IMG_2547.jpg
    IMG_2547.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 505
  • IMG_2552.jpg
    IMG_2552.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 497
  • IMG_2550.jpg
    IMG_2550.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 485
Carry a by-pass bodge for the sidestand switch. Faulty switch can/will cause inter shut downs
New wheel bearings, and good (d.i.d.) chain.
Enjoy the trip

Sent from my BND-L21 using Tapatalk

Definitely upgrade fork springs/oil and rear shock. Just had headstock bearings done at 7000 miles . Just returned from off roading in Portugal, suspension made a huge difference

On my list as must do before departure!

Carry a by-pass bodge for the sidestand switch. Faulty switch can/will cause inter shut downs
New wheel bearings, and good (d.i.d.) chain.
Enjoy the trip

Sent from my BND-L21 using Tapatalk

Leatherman and some spare wire works wonders. Had this happen to me on a 1200 once.

I changed the regulator for a mosfet one to give the alternator an easy time, as it switches off the charge instead of shorting out the current to burn it off as heat.
I use Slime in the tubes to seal puntures, worked so far :thumb
Headlight burns its coating, changed to full LED headlight from chine works superb.
Wish i could find a comfy seat...sent two touratech seats back because of poor build quality where it meets the tank :(

I changed the regulator for a mosfet one to give the alternator an easy time, as it switches off the charge instead of shorting out the current to burn it off as heat.
I use Slime in the tubes to seal puntures, worked so far :thumb
Headlight burns its coating, changed to full LED headlight from chine works superb.
Wish i could find a comfy seat...sent two touratech seats back because of poor build quality where it meets the tank :(

BMW OEM comfort seat works well. My son has one on his 800GS. Not sure if they have one for the GSA.

F800 adv

I have mine about 4 years. its a 2014 model that now has 11000mls on it. First trip on it was to morocco. When I came back i put progressive fork springs and heavier oil in. I also put a Hyper-pro shock on the back because the only weak point on these bikes as stock is the suspension. I have used it off-road extensively on the ACT Portugal and ACT Greece and it hasnt missed a beat. As JJh says about the chains and sprockets, go for quality.
I have an adjustable puig screen that is great for protection and slides right down when going on the rough stuff. I also have a pair of Barkbusters and Touratech foldable mirrors. Pivot Pegs for grip and easy gear changes. I also fitted a Scotoiler for the longer spins. Im 6'4" and about 19st so i really have to rev it to keep up with the 1200gs riders. Speaking of which the fuel economy is brilliant. On the ACT when the big boys were putting 13 or 14 litres in to top up and I was putting in 8 or 9 litres. It burns no oil. Its also very light and manageable. I have owned a couple of 1150 adventures and a 1200 adventure and to be honest I am struggling to find a better allrounder to replace it. If I was going to upgrade anything on it, it would be the wheels for tubless ones. The price of them is putting me off. Id rather take my chance on a can of slime and carry a couple of tubes.

Bf.

Back
Top Bottom