r1200 gsa weather protection

Do you know is there any problem having those panels as well as the mudsling?
Absolutely none
20d79b93d3d9a806b9bddd07690594c6.jpg

Where did you purchase the side panels from?

It's my next step, as i'm still getting water that's coming up on the right side and sitting on the seat.

You can purchase them from BMW dealer for around £50 for the kit. I tried them, but they made no difference. Sold them on a while ago.

Can't remember what I paid but I think I it was more than that. 70 or 80 from what I recall. Was from a motorrad shop who are on here. Cotswold I think.
You can purchase them from BMW dealer for around £50 for the kit. I tried them, but they made no difference. Sold them on a while ago.

has anyone tried those rt style lower fairing panels for the gs,the powerbronze fairing people at the nec had some on their gs show bike.

I tried the mudsling. Wasn’t that impressed. I use the infill panels and a rear hugger. Much much better

can i ask what and why for is there rubber wrapped around the centre stand???
sorry if this is a suilly question:nenau

The back of my left thigh got covered in shit despite having a Mudsling fitted. I tried in-fill panels (home made) but that little difference. What has made a difference is a plate to go on the centre stand. Specifically one of these:- https://www.cymarcbikeparts.co.uk/r1200gsa--lc-stand-bash-plate-123-p.asp - Other sources are available. However be aware that Cymarc's plate doesn't fit the stand on a lowered chassis bike, as mine is. I resorted to a session with my bench grinder to make it work.

Or you could just use an old biscuit tin lid and cable tie it on. Which I did initially and found it worked! :D

Saw a YouTube video at the weekend of the R1250GS Adventure, which had a plastic guard fitted to the centre stand. It looked flared, as if to deflect air flow. It was by Richard Dunn, published on Dec 1st. https://youtu.be/V9VSvhk2RLs Looks like OEM fit.

Saw a YouTube video at the weekend of the R1250GS Adventure, which had a plastic guard fitted to the centre stand. It looked flared, as if to deflect air flow. It was by Richard Dunn, published on Dec 1st. https://youtu.be/V9VSvhk2RLs Looks like OEM fit.

BMW Part number is 46 63 8 388 657 - Cover centre stand. Which check the local dealer later in the week for price and availability.

BMW Part number is 46 63 8 388 657 - Cover centre stand. Which check the local dealer later in the week for price and availability.

I don’t think it will help that much with spray but it the semi circle lip on it sure as heck looks like it was designed to stop road debris flicking off the wheel from smacking the centre stand.

I like it and if it wasn’t silly money and I hadn’t already wrapped my stand in helicopter tape I would get one as my stands always look like they were made out of old fiats after about six months.

It looks like they’ve fitted it the wrong way round, as the bar that gets covered in chips is still exposed

It looks like they’ve fitted it the wrong way round, as the bar that gets covered in chips is still exposed

Not really as it partially wraps around the cross bar and the lip sticks down further. Yes the bar could be hit from directly below but the majority of crud is flung from the wheel I think.

Agreed, the Rugged Roads item looks like a much better design and covers the crossbar and down tubes completely, I have the black anodised version on my 17 Rallye transferred from my 14 GSA it has a some stone chips and wear after 4 years of use but does the job of deflecting debris thrown from the front tyre well, money well spent.

can i ask what and why for is there rubber wrapped around the centre stand???
sorry if this is a suilly question:nenau

No such thing as a silly question. 😬. Had the center stand changed under warranty as it was rusted to f**k. I bought some neoprene Velcro strips and cut them to size and doused them in acf50 and put them on the stand to help avoid the same thing happening. I whip them off every now and again to redo the acf and it seems to be doing the trick. 👍🏻

I saw the centre stand plastic guard thing on a 1250 adventure in the showroom.
I think it looks like it might be worth a punt so I ordered one. They checked the part number of the centre stand on the 1250 vs the 1200 and its the same part number so it should fit.
There were 5 guards available in stock in Germany (now 4). I reckon even I could fit it though I usually draw the line at more than three cable ties being too complicated for me.

Attachments

• IMG_9710.jpg
    IMG_9710.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 594
  • IMG_9709.jpg
    IMG_9709.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 591
  • IMG_9708.jpg
    IMG_9708.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 566
  • IMG_9707.jpg
    IMG_9707.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 619
I think it's over engineered, when a simple neoprene sleeve wrapped around the centre stand bar will do the job perfectly.

The neoprene sleeve can be easily washed, dried and sorted in seconds.

That plastic guard is a nightmare to clean, will hold dirt and water, weigh more, get scratched and will look tatty from the barrage of stone chips.

Neoprene sleeve wins hands down???

I think it's over engineered, when a simple neoprene sleeve wrapped around the centre stand bar will do the job perfectly.

You could well be right. I want to see if, in combination with mudsling, it cuts down on the crap being flung up on me and the bike. It cost me about 40 quid so for that money I will try it. I have helicopter tape (better than your smelly neoprene :)) so it was protected already.

Finally got round to fitting the infil panels, was doubting weather they were the correct ones when i first took them out of the box. But are not sitting on the bike and hopefully should keep the water and dirt from flicking up and sitting on my seat and up my leg.

Orded of the centre stand one as well, and gave up with fitting that at the moment. I'm questioning weather it's the correct one for my bike.

Back
Top Bottom